= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Feb 16, 2015 at 3:28 PM Post #11,701 of 21,176

Last night I compared the NFB-15 DAC with the built-in amp vs the amp in the NFB-28.  The soundstage was quite noticeably (almost dramatically) improved both in side-to-side and front-to-back dimensions.  I felt like the it was a bit fuller sounding as well, though that was a slight difference.

And yes, it's WAY more power than I'll need with the HE-560 and that's only using the SE output, which has less than half the power of the balanced.

Nice! Dang it. Now I have to hear the NFB-15! :)

Feb 16, 2015 at 4:38 PM Post #11,703 of 21,176
  Nice! Dang it. Now I have to hear the NFB-15! :)

Stillhart described the improvements from NFB-15 to NFB-28, i.e NFB-28 is the better unit

Yes this, sorry, didn't mean to mislead.  The NFB-15 is a $300 unit and the NFB-28 is an $800 unit so you'd expect the 28 to be better, and it is (both the amp and the DAC).

Feb 16, 2015 at 6:09 PM Post #11,704 of 21,176
Long time no hear from. How have you been? I've been buying toys lately (foolish use of work bonus, but it was a bonus so ...) I've got a pair of ZMF x Vibros coming with nice balanced cable, just picked up the very fun and engaging sounding Sony MDR 1A as well as a Sony DAP, the A17. The two Sony's were pretty damn good deals. A girlfriend was selling off Christmas gifts from her ex, both unopened! I know in the US these prices might sound high, but here they are decent. Paid $225 for the DAP (probably could have been cheesy and gotten it for $200) and the headphones were $200. In stores here on top of full retail prices, both $300 I would have had to pay 13% sales tax so a decent savings. I'll likely flip the MDR 1A out in about 6 months, but it is a really nice looking and sounding headphone. Not sure about the ZMF, unless it sucks I'll keep it at least a year.

Been a bit busy at work and playing with some new toys! Sounds like you made out like a bandit! Sorry for her Ex., sounds like he lost a great Woman!!!

18%?!?! If we buy in-state we pay 6% online, 0%! I have heard good things about the ZMF's! Sold my Alpha Dogs, maybe Primes, LCD-XC's, or 8's, will try a variety of new stuff at the Nashville Meet in April.

Feb 16, 2015 at 6:32 PM Post #11,705 of 21,176
Been a bit busy at work and playing with some new toys! Sounds like you made out like a bandit! Sorry for her Ex., sounds like he lost a great Woman!!!

18%?!?! If we buy in-state we pay 6% online, 0%! I have heard good things about the ZMF's! Sold my Alpha Dogs, maybe Primes, LCD-XC's, or 8's, will try a variety of new stuff at the Nashville Meet in April.

She was actually pretty sultry and hot looking, so yes unless she is nuts (which sadly many of them seem to be) he really did lose out. Shame that I'm about 20 years older or I would have asked her out! Sold the dogs did you? The Primes are all the rage now. Tax burdens are high no doubt, and it does suck at times. But let me tell you, when I need medical attention it is a blessing to have a public medical system (imperfect as it is). Still, tax can suck, and that is ontop of I think about a 25% income tax level.

Feb 16, 2015 at 6:34 PM Post #11,706 of 21,176
Islay update (sorry for going OT again). I now really like the Laphroaig. I think the aroma was over-powering when just opening the bottle. There must have been plenty of gases to escape, but after it mellowed out, I actually love that peaty and smoke aroma. Go figure.

Feb 16, 2015 at 7:08 PM Post #11,707 of 21,176
An acquired taste, glad you are enjoying it, no turning back now!

I thought you were married SD?

Feb 16, 2015 at 7:46 PM Post #11,708 of 21,176
An acquired taste, glad you are enjoying it, no turning back now!

I thought you were married SD?

Well, mostly separated, more like living in joint misery. As sad as it is, for our daughter even this situation is better as we don't fight, but beyond that we are roommates. Quite sad, but what are you going to do right?

Feb 16, 2015 at 7:57 PM Post #11,709 of 21,176
I am in full agreement with SD here, my speaker taps work very well with my 560's, though like Drjazz, I don't want to be tied to my office system. So my "portable" reference system is and iFi iDSD Nano strapped to an Apex Glacier and Grado PS6500e's, soon to add Alclair's RSM CIEM. Both are wonderfully musical, love them both.

Now hat sounds like a sick portable rig. Lucky person!

Feb 16, 2015 at 8:37 PM Post #11,710 of 21,176
Well, mostly separated, more like living in joint misery. As sad as it is, for our daughter even this situation is better as we don't fight, but beyond that we are roommates. Quite sad, but what are you going to do right?

Sorry to hear that, but don't let age hinder a move on this younger Woman. You have shared interests, and age is just a number! My Wife is 17 years younger and we are eminently compatible, though she did put an end to my Scotch drinking :smirk:!

Feb 16, 2015 at 9:09 PM Post #11,711 of 21,176
Sorry to hear that, but don't let age hinder a move on this younger Woman. You have shared interests, and age is just a number! My Wife is 17 years younger and we are eminently compatible, though she did put an end to my Scotch drinking :smirk:!

Did you over-indulge or do you get whiskey-madness when you drink brown liquor? Thanks for your thoughts, and I agree, age up to a point is really a non-factor. Having things in common is really important and research has shown that despite the old adage "opposites attract" that even if that is true, they don't stay together. Couples who share important interests and characteristics are most compatible. I guess your wife and you are evidence of this. You are a lucky man. I know it may be controversial to say, but I'll say it anyway. In some respects, I think women age faster than men do and having a woman younger than you really isn't a bad thing!

Feb 16, 2015 at 9:36 PM Post #11,712 of 21,176
^My Wife would say they mature faster than we do, I think I agree (I will have to ask her, wink!!!)

Feb 16, 2015 at 10:00 PM Post #11,713 of 21,176
  ^My Wife would say they mature faster than we do, I think I agree (I will have to ask her, wink!!!)

LOL, a woman would think that! Ha, ha, nah, not more mature, just different priorities! Funny, I have always been the clean one and the one who cooks in any relationship and even now I have always been the primary caregiver for my daughter. Guess my perspective might be skewed. Anyway, keep your relationship healthy, I'm sure with the right woman it is worth the effort.

Feb 16, 2015 at 10:18 PM Post #11,714 of 21,176

Yes this, sorry, didn't mean to mislead.  The NFB-15 is a $300 unit and the NFB-28 is an $800 unit so you'd expect the 28 to be better, and it is (both the amp and the DAC).

Thanks-I read your post incorrectly.

Feb 16, 2015 at 10:39 PM Post #11,715 of 21,176
Very disappointed with Hifiman's post-sales support.

My 2nd pair of HE-560s is pending a warranty claim (due to the all too common rattling driver issue) and the reseller has had no response from Hifiman in almost a week now.

Really considering ditching the brand and going for the Audeze EL-8.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back