= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Oct 27, 2014 at 10:48 PM Post #9,724 of 21,175
Shopping for an amp is a pain in the ass. 
that totally depends on ur demands, ur personal experiences and personal opinions.... If u want special then u have to invest time, money, (and keep ur wife/ girlfriend extra happy) and effort into it to find that special amp u want and need.....if u just want an amp to drive ur headphone, period.....then its easy peasy to find ur amp :p

Oct 27, 2014 at 10:50 PM Post #9,725 of 21,175
 The $100 Schiit Magni can put out enough power to damage hearing with the 560's.  I have stated it a lot, I'm in love with high-power.  But the 560's just need a good amp, tube or solid state, that can put out 550 mW or more.  Maybe not even that much, but from here I have to defer to experts.

yes, my iCAN drives them with authority for me already..I can only go 2 o clock position (max) with 0db gain..I just need to make time to tap it to my mini-x

Oct 27, 2014 at 11:57 PM Post #9,727 of 21,175
Ok now my ears are perked up and listening!
Having admired Garage1217 from afar, never pulled trigger on ember or Polaris.

If you had Lyr 2 with stock tubes, any relevant comparisons regarding soundstage width and bass quality/quantity would be greatly appreciated.

The bass of the Polaris is extremely tight with lots of texture and the soundstage is very spacious.  I'm getting a real out-of-head experience with the Polaris and the HE-560.

It's hard for me to do a direct comparison because I don't have the Lyr 2 anymore but I can tell you with certitude that the Polaris could be my endgame amplifier with the HE-560.

Oct 28, 2014 at 12:06 AM Post #9,728 of 21,175
The bass of the Polaris is extremely tight with lots of texture and the soundstage is very spacious.  I'm getting a real out-of-head experience with the Polaris and the HE-560.

It's hard for me to do a direct comparison because I don't have the Lyr 2 anymore but I can tell you with certitude that the Polaris could be my endgame amplifier with the HE-560.

By the gods man, such a great recommendation!
I fear that both ThurstonX and I are reaching for our wallets.... Just to sample this cool small Polaris.

If I didn't have these tube pairs for Lyr 2, and a Pulse Xfi on the way...

Oct 28, 2014 at 12:26 AM Post #9,729 of 21,175
By the gods man, such a great recommendation!
I fear that both ThurstonX and I are reaching for our wallets.... Just to sample this cool small Polaris.

If I didn't have these tube pairs for Lyr 2, and a Pulse Xfi on the way...

I'm only reachin' if you're buying my K712s 
wink.gif
  But I'm also really curious about Bill-P's amp, and I don't think they'll stop making the Polaris anytime soon.

Oct 28, 2014 at 12:40 AM Post #9,730 of 21,175
lol terms like warm are relative and subjective. You will get a variety of opinions of what amplifiers are warm, smooth, liquid, analytical.... hard to gauge exactly what the reviewer means unless you both share a common reference point.

There is a commonly held-view that tube amplifiers are warmer and solid-state amplifiers are more analytical. I dunno how accurate this kind of general perspective is as you can find a solid state amplifier that sounds warmer than a specific tube amplifier. I think it depends more on the specific models.

this is an informative link about the differences between tube amplifiers and solid state amplifiers.
http://www.theaudioarchive.com/TAA_Resources_Tubes_versus_Solid_State.htm

Money, that's a bit of a generalization, some of the higher end SS Amps, Krell, ML, Roland, tend to have a darker, richer "tube like" sound, others like Bolder, IMO, sound clinical, then there's the cheap stuff that wil curdle milk, make your ears bleed, and render you impotent:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:.

Oct 28, 2014 at 1:00 AM Post #9,731 of 21,175
Quote:
lol terms like warm are relative and subjective. You will get a variety of opinions of what amplifiers are warm, smooth, liquid, analytical.... hard to gauge exactly what the reviewer means unless you both share a common reference point.

There is a commonly held-view that tube amplifiers are warmer and solid-state amplifiers are more analytical. I dunno how accurate this kind of general perspective is as you can find a solid state amplifier that sounds warmer than a specific tube amplifier. I think it depends more on the specific models.

this is an informative link about the differences between tube amplifiers and solid state amplifiers.
http://www.theaudioarchive.com/TAA_Resources_Tubes_versus_Solid_State.htm

Money, that's a bit of a generalization, some of the higher end SS Amps, Krell, ML, Roland, tend to have a darker, richer "tube like" sound, others like Bolder, IMO, sound clinical, then there's the cheap stuff that wil curdle milk, make your ears bleed, and render you impotent:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:.

yeaa, i agree that is an over-generalization that tube amps sound a certain way & ss sound a certain way.

Oct 28, 2014 at 7:34 AM Post #9,732 of 21,175
For those interested, I got a reply from HFM re: the new baffles.  $10/pair plus shipping ($6 to Virginia from China).  Send them an email if your interested.

Just ordered a pair. I had to pay 20$ incl. shipping to germany. Nice and fast customer support.

Oct 28, 2014 at 7:45 AM Post #9,734 of 21,175
Haven't heard the Polaris but for the price.... looks realy sexy.

Lyr/Soloist SL - I'd take the Soloist SL in a heartbeat.

Oct 28, 2014 at 8:48 AM Post #9,735 of 21,175

Ok now iits time for a vote.
polaris
lyr 2
Soloist sl

I'd add Gustard H10 that seems to pair very well if I trust FlySweep. Not the most expensive either.

I would still be interested to hear from someone that has been able to compare the Polaris to others.

Then there's also what Bill-P is cooking 
biggrin.gif

Haven't heard the Polaris but for the price.... looks realy sexy.

Lyr/Soloist SL - I'd take the Soloist SL in a heartbeat.

What do you prefer about the Soloist SL?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back