= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Oct 18, 2014 at 1:27 AM Post #9,271 of 21,176
  well the issue is the HE 560 is a done deal, I'm confident it's going to be a step above my HE 4, which is GREAT, but what I need is something that's better than the W1000X, ya know. I'll have the HE 560 but at the moment I don't really need it, I'm not really ready to seek it out , I still love my HE 4 and I'm still pretty much set on getting an HE 560. Just waiting a smidge for the price to come down or my HE 4 to start sounding worse than everything else I have lol 

I spotted at least one HE-560 on the FS forum.  Think it was around $721 with Paypal and shipping (listed it's $700).  So that's $180+ savings, assuming you'd have to pay shipping on a new one.

Oct 18, 2014 at 1:29 AM Post #9,272 of 21,176

I spotted at least one HE-560 on the FS forum.  Think it was around $721 with Paypal and shipping (listed it's $700).  So that's $180+ savings, assuming you'd have to pay shipping on a new one.

Yea the price ain't to bad at all. I've seen about 3 thus far, so they come n go. 

Oct 18, 2014 at 1:42 AM Post #9,273 of 21,176
  well the issue is the HE 560 is a done deal, I'm confident it's going to be a step above my HE 4, which is GREAT, but what I need is something that's better than the W1000X, ya know. I'll have the HE 560 but at the moment I don't really need it, I'm not really ready to seek it out , I still love my HE 4 and I'm still pretty much set on getting an HE 560. Just waiting a smidge for the price to come down or my HE 4 to start sounding worse than everything else I have lol 

Well, going by my standards, the HE-560 would be way above the W1000X.

Because I think HE-560 > W1000 > W1000X.

W1000X stops at sounding excited and energetic, but doesn't really do much to "refine" the music nor to reproduce the physicality of it.
W1000 goes one step further and enhances on the refinement, and does a fairly decent job of reproducing physicality, but lacks the bass to solidify its imaging.
HE-560 goes several steps further than either headphone and not only do all of the above very well, it can also "keep pace with the music".

The HE-560 is the second headphone I have ever heard that can reproduce the physicality of a sound so well for me. The JPS Labs Abyss was the first one. But the Abyss had its own deficiencies (its sound is too analytical and bright) that I didn't quite like. The HE-560... is just somehow tuned very right to me. The stock sound is already close to my perfect curve of what a headphone should be. If the upper midrange/lower treble region was just a little smoother, and the higher frequencies were just a bit more extended, it would be the perfect end-game headphone for me.

Oct 18, 2014 at 1:46 AM Post #9,274 of 21,176

Well, going by my standards, the HE-560 would be way above the W1000X.

Because I think HE-560 > W1000 > W1000X.

W1000X stops at sounding excited and energetic, but doesn't really do much to "refine" the music nor to reproduce the physicality of it.
W1000 goes one step further and enhances on the refinement, and does a fairly decent job of reproducing physicality, but lacks the bass to solidify its imaging.
HE-560 goes several steps further than either headphone and not only do all of the above very well, it can also "keep pace with the music".

The HE-560 is the second headphone I have ever heard that can reproduce the physicality of a sound so well for me. The JPS Labs Abyss was the first one. But the Abyss had its own deficiencies (its sound is too analytical and bright) that I didn't quite like. The HE-560... is just somehow tuned very right to me. The stock sound is already close to my perfect curve of what a headphone should be. If the upper midrange/lower treble region was just a little smoother, and the higher frequencies were just a bit more extended, it would be the perfect end-game headphone for me.

Well tactility is one of my favorite parts of the W1000X as far as refinement goes I think it does a great job at reproducing the same kind of delicacy and tactility as the HE 4 does, granted the HE 4 is much more modest, refined and balanced at the top end. 

My only issue with the W1000x is the Sound stage, and sadly the HE 560 is open back, which means on the go it's of no use to me. 

But again, the HE 560 is at the top of my list for open backs! 

Oct 18, 2014 at 2:00 AM Post #9,275 of 21,176
Well said Bill-P, the 560's too me have this wonderful "organic" sound, which too me, is tone, pace, impinging, sound stage, on and on, that make the music sound "real". In my years involved in audio,that "real" reproduction is rare, the first time I heard Maggie 3.5's, big SoundLabs with OTL amps, jump factor, goosebumps, the feeling you get when the hair on your neck stands up because someones in the room with you playing music. It's the opposite of HiFi, the reason I prefer the 560 (& HE-6) to the HD800's, nothing in the music presentation stands out at the expense of the the complete picture, a wholeness, hence "organic" presentation of the recorded event, "The Absolute Sound" per se.......

Oct 18, 2014 at 3:41 AM Post #9,277 of 21,176
  Finally done. Just spent about 5 straight hours modding TMR's HE560s in the likeness of my own, and took a lot of photos along the way. They now sound like twins.

Wow 5 hours! Please let us know what miracle you have done
biggrin.gif

Oct 18, 2014 at 7:43 AM Post #9,278 of 21,176
Have there been any confirmations of the sound signature changing over the recommended 150 hour burn-in period?

I'm pretty damn happy with the way they sound out of the box but I am curious. Probably got close to 15 hours on mine in 3 days.

Oct 18, 2014 at 11:55 AM Post #9,279 of 21,176

http://www.razordogaudio.com/products/hifiman-he-560-full-size-planar-driver-headphones-open-box

razordogaudio has a $695 he-560 up.

Oct 18, 2014 at 12:33 PM Post #9,280 of 21,176
Finally done. Just spent about 5 straight hours modding TMR's HE560s in the likeness of my own, and took a lot of photos along the way. They now sound like twins.

I too wouldlike to hear what mods You have created and what impact it has had on the he560

Oct 18, 2014 at 1:33 PM Post #9,282 of 21,176

5 HOURS!!!!!!! God, the anticipation is killing me :grin:!!!

Oct 18, 2014 at 2:00 PM Post #9,283 of 21,176

I am actually more interested in a comparison of sound between the non-modded vs modded version... though now you have twins :frowning2:

Oct 18, 2014 at 2:08 PM Post #9,284 of 21,176
  I am actually more interested in a comparison of sound between the non-modded vs modded version... though now you have twins :frowning2:

Jerg is within travelling distance for me so perhaps in the near future I will bring my stock 560 for a little comparison session. I am very curious to hear the differences Jerg has managed to sculpt out of an already fantastic headphone. Could be epic.

Oct 18, 2014 at 2:13 PM Post #9,285 of 21,176
^Just my simple mods garnered 12 out 14 preference in Nashville, with two feeling the bass was over the top with the Lyr 2, but superior with the Meier Amp.

That said, I have no idea what magic Jerg has wrought, cannot wait to read about his work, since I am a believer in the ability to take the 560 from a very good HP, to a World beater.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back