= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Sep 28, 2014 at 7:22 PM Post #8,522 of 21,175
But right now it doesn't support DSD and if it ever will it will cost you extra

But HA-1 is great pairing with many headphones even without DSD has all necessary connections instead of those which 99.99% of users will never use

Do you consider DSD important? Because these 2 posts seem to contradict each other.
And if DSD is important, Schiit has the Loki. 

Sep 28, 2014 at 7:28 PM Post #8,523 of 21,175
But HA-1 has everything already inside so no extra cables or connections and if your ever decide you want to use tubes amp for example just connect it and enjoy any sound depending on your preference

Sep 28, 2014 at 7:30 PM Post #8,524 of 21,175
Unless you have enough DSD music, I can't see it really being an issue. I know that the selection of DSD albums is growing, but it is still just a small fraction of recorded albums. As has been said, you can simply add a Loki from Schiit now if you really need to (doubtful) and in a few years down the road if DSD really starts to become well established I could see Schiit provide an update for Gungnir that supports DSD. The ability to upgrade the DAC was also a big part of why I purchased the Gungnir.

Again, I am biased of course, but I think the Gungnir compliments the 560 signature exceedingly well and of course there are so many very good amps these days, the Lake People line is also worth considering. Sadly you rarely see used Lake People gear here, or it sells quickly, either way I think that suggests people like that gear and keep it. 

Sep 28, 2014 at 7:52 PM Post #8,525 of 21,175
Oh I think I see what you mean now: HA-1 has DSD, and you're saying it is a DAC/amp combo, so it really is an all-in-one device.
If you end up adding a tube amp to it, I think that defeats the purpose of an all-in-one, and I'd go with Sonic Defender's suggestion: get a pure DAC like Gungnir, add Loki if I want DSD, and then choose an amp.

Sep 29, 2014 at 5:19 PM Post #8,530 of 21,175
i've just sent of my headamp tour pair of 560's, and here are some thoughts:

first off i'd like to thank justin at headamp for the opportunity to hear this headphone in my own house, and with my own gear.
i'd heard the 560 briefly at the nashville meet, just before i received the tour pair.

i'm not one for writing "reviews", i'm not that eloquent in describing what i'm hearing.
the other headphones i have are the grado gs1000e, and the lcd x, so the 560 was up against some stiff competition, not that it was really a competition to begin with.
the 560's are very comfortable , very light, not as comfy as the grado, but more comfortable that the lcd x, weight wise.
the pads on the 560 weren't as nice as the audeze, but then, it's half the price.
now for the sound.
the 560 fell somewhere in between the grado and the audeze to me.
it had the speed, articulation , of the grado, and its soundstage was more akin to the audeze.
bass reached low, and was tight, tuneful. mids present, treble extended, and not harsh.
i've heard all the hifiman headphones, my favorite being the he-6, when its properly driven, which can be difficult .
other than the he-6 amped right, this is the best hifiman i've heard.

to have a headphone, sound this good, sound approaching the quality of my favorite , the lcd x, at roughly half the price is outstanding !
i haven't had the pleasure of buying anything from headamp as yet, but that may change , the 560 is that good

Sep 29, 2014 at 5:22 PM Post #8,531 of 21,175
Headamp is a great place and Justin is a nice and outstanding guy to deal with. Only positive experience really.

Sep 29, 2014 at 7:24 PM Post #8,532 of 21,175
  i've just sent of my headamp tour pair of 560's, and here are some thoughts:

first off i'd like to thank justin at headamp for the opportunity to hear this headphone in my own house, and with my own gear.
i'd heard the 560 briefly at the nashville meet, just before i received the tour pair.

i'm not one for writing "reviews", i'm not that eloquent in describing what i'm hearing.
the other headphones i have are the grado gs1000e, and the lcd x, so the 560 was up against some stiff competition, not that it was really a competition to begin with.
the 560's are very comfortable , very light, not as comfy as the grado, but more comfortable that the lcd x, weight wise.
the pads on the 560 weren't as nice as the audeze, but then, it's half the price.
now for the sound.
the 560 fell somewhere in between the grado and the audeze to me.
it had the speed, articulation , of the grado, and its soundstage was more akin to the audeze.
bass reached low, and was tight, tuneful. mids present, treble extended, and not harsh.
i've heard all the hifiman headphones, my favorite being the he-6, when its properly driven, which can be difficult .
other than the he-6 amped right, this is the best hifiman i've heard.

to have a headphone, sound this good, sound approaching the quality of my favorite , the lcd x, at roughly half the price is outstanding !
i haven't had the pleasure of buying anything from headamp as yet, but that may change , the 560 is that good

Hey, Jay... I've been an audiophile probably longer than you've been living, and let me tell you... I like your review! I don't like reviews that go for several pages and really say very little about the sound and how it compares with other headphones. You gave me what I needed to know. Thanks so much!

Sep 29, 2014 at 10:04 PM Post #8,533 of 21,175
Hey, Jay... I've been an audiophile probably longer than you've been living, and let me tell you... I like your review! I don't like reviews that go for several pages and really say very little about the sound and how it compares with other headphones. You gave me what I needed to know. Thanks so much!

Thank you for the kind words !
I dont know about the age thing , I'm 50 and I have been into audio a few years myself

Users who are viewing this thread

Back