= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Jan 28, 2015 at 11:51 AM Post #11,371 of 21,171
I got notification that my 560 was delivered today. I was hoping I would get it yesterday but the snow storm delayed it a day. Hopefully I can get to the store before it closes and pick it up.

Jan 28, 2015 at 2:21 PM Post #11,372 of 21,171
  I got notification that my 560 was delivered today. I was hoping I would get it yesterday but the snow storm delayed it a day. Hopefully I can get to the store before it closes and pick it up.

Just do it man, hope not, only do. Yoda is watching you.

Jan 28, 2015 at 3:40 PM Post #11,373 of 21,171
I'm going to try my best to make it. I always make it 5 minutes before closing if I am able to catch it before they close.

Jan 28, 2015 at 3:48 PM Post #11,374 of 21,171
  I'm going to try my best to make it. I always make it 5 minutes before closing if I am able to catch it before they close.

Welcome to the 560 club, hopefully you enjoy the headphone as much as most around here seem to.

Jan 28, 2015 at 4:53 PM Post #11,375 of 21,171

http://youtu.be/BQ4yd2W50No

Jan 28, 2015 at 5:11 PM Post #11,376 of 21,171
Thanks for the pics and explanation Bill, very interesting.

No problem! I've posted some general pointers on how to open your pair up below, if you'd like to see all that.

Thanks Bill, this is very useful. Is it just taking out the ear cups and then removing all the screws?

My phones are 3 weeks old and the right side has a slight fizz / buzz at certain frequencies. I've half a mind to send them back to China but not sure if they would replace it with a 'perfect' set given their QC records. May actually try taking them apart to try and do some cleaning myself.  

Well, what it entails is... take the ear pads off, unscrew the mounting ring, take the mounting ring and foam piece off, then gently pull the driver baffle out by tugging along the felt pieces. Alternatively, take the grill off and gently push on the magnetic array (make sure you support the other end so the baffle won't just free-fall out).

Once you get the baffle out, there are some more nuts and bolts in the back of it that you have to unscrew. After that, you can gently separate the baffle layers to reveal what I photographed up there. Make sure you hold along the edges and not slot anything in between as the diaphragm really is quite thin and can easily tear.

If you do end up tearing the diaphragm, I believe carefully taping it back up with thin tape from the front side (no conducting trace) should be able to remedy that just fine without adding significant mass or thickness to the diaphragm. It can be a bit uneven in the front because the stock damping will make sure the diaphragm won't hit the plastic baffle when the headphone is on your head (and dampened by your skull). If you break the seal, the diaphragm will hit the plastic baffle anyway so it doesn't matter. Main point is to get the back side with the conducting traces to be as flat as possible, and without anything weird sticking out.

Jan 28, 2015 at 5:32 PM Post #11,377 of 21,171
Can anybody confirm that the current HE-560 comes with the same cable as this one? Thanks.

Jan 28, 2015 at 7:22 PM Post #11,380 of 21,171
Luckily I was able to pick them up today. I forgot how much the cable sucked in terms of function. The first thing I will be doing is buying a better cable. At this price it should come with a nicer cable like what the HE-6 came with. This is a similar cable to the one the HE-300 or HE-400 came with. I can't remember which one but both of them are very low in their range of headphones. The comfort on the other hand is by far the best I've had in a Hifiman headphone.

Jan 28, 2015 at 7:27 PM Post #11,381 of 21,171
Luckily I was able to pick them up today. I forgot how much the cable sucked in terms of function. The first thing I will be doing is buying a better cable. At this price it should come with a nicer cable like what the HE-6 came with. This is a similar cable to the one the HE-300 or HE-400 came with. I can't remember which one but both of them are very low in their range of headphones. The comfort on the other hand is by far the best I've had in a Hifiman headphone.

It's a different cable, new to HiFiman, though I recommend Norne's Draug 2, or Cute and Sonicdefender's Norne SolV Cables.

Jan 28, 2015 at 9:09 PM Post #11,382 of 21,171
It's a different cable, new to HiFiman, though I recommend Norne's Draug 2, or Cute and Sonicdefender's Norne SolV Cables.

I certainly love the Solv cable. So well made and when I finally get the chance to isolate the cable from my simultaneously changed amp  I will be able to discuss what I hear from the Solv. I will attempt to do both sighted and blind testing if I can find a helper to make the blind testing work.

Jan 28, 2015 at 9:45 PM Post #11,383 of 21,171
I'm not one for getting expensive cables but rather more functional ones so I'll see what my options are. I wish I had the option to DIY for these kind of situations.

I'm glad I go these though. They sounds pretty good with my V800/Lyr 2 combo. I had a bit of regret after buying them since I bought a pair of glasses last week or rather they robbed me. They came way too close to how much my HE-560 cost. I was going to get contacts too but after that price I didn't need them anymore.

Jan 29, 2015 at 9:39 AM Post #11,385 of 21,171
  How much upgrade in sound quality is there if I pair my 560s with project polaris amp? I am currently using Ak120 + RSA Intruder. Thanks!

That will depend on your preferences and whether or not you like the amps sound signature. Assuming both sound signatures are pleasing to you the better fit in my opinion for those who like to listen to a wide variety of music from quiet, dynamic masters, to loud modern compressed recordings; if you tend to enjoy louder playback volume get the amp with more power. I'm not saying you need 4watts to enjoy the headphone, but more headroom is never bad so within reason find the sound signature you like, with as much power as you can reasonably afford.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back