= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Aug 12, 2014 at 9:52 PM Post #6,812 of 21,171
  Soundsgoodtome has tried them with both, and posted his thoughts on the Ember. Just search within thread, you'll find the posts.

thanks! :)

Aug 12, 2014 at 10:28 PM Post #6,813 of 21,171
I get home, inspect the headphones and see there are no scratches. Great news. I then try to connect the headphone cable to the connectors on the headphone and the right side fits in fine (woo hoo!) I then try to connect the other side and see the left connector attached to the headphone is loose. Oh great, I find out I can't connect the cable to the headphone without it falling off. I test to make sure if its the cable? I switch sides and there's the problem again.

This was my third pair of HE-560s. Third times a charm? No. I received two previous headphones that had some serious scratches on them and now I have no other choice but to return my THIRD pair. Shocked, absolutely shocked. I couldn't believe a company could screw something up by sending three defective pairs of headphones to me. Just pissed off and don't even know what to say...

Aug 12, 2014 at 10:38 PM Post #6,814 of 21,171
  I get home, inspect the headphones and see there are no scratches. Great news. I then try to connect the headphone cable to the connectors on the headphone and the right side fits in fine (woo hoo!) I then try to connect the other side and see the left connector attached to the headphone is loose. Oh great, I find out I can't connect the cable to the headphone without it falling off. I test to make sure if its the cable? I switch sides and there's the problem again.

This was my third pair of HE-560s. Third times a charm? No. I received two previous headphones that had some serious scratches on them and now I have no other choice but to return my THIRD pair. Shocked, absolutely shocked. I couldn't believe a company could screw something up by sending three defective pairs of headphones to me. Just pissed off and don't even know what to say...

So the female connector on the L side, the one that is bolted into place on the earpiece is loose? 

Aug 12, 2014 at 11:33 PM Post #6,815 of 21,171

Unbelievable, just unbelievable. It makes me wonder how a company seemingly so inept in customer service and quality control can produce such good sounding gear. Okay, if HFM doesn't step up and make this right I will just be so turned off that I may myself never support them again. Yes, jump all over me and tell me I am overreacting, I hear you, but no, if this is a third defective headphone/cable/whatever, then we just can't trust HFM quality control or judgment. Have you not been reading this thread HFM and realized just how embarrassing this is for your company?

So here in public I am saying that you HFM must take complete ownership of this situation and fix it now, and really make it up to this poor customer of yours. Fang, if this was my company and I knew about this I would get a new 560 to him super quick, and I would send a nice DAP along to ease the sting of this terrible service situation. There is no other way than to take it on the chin and show your customers that you won't have your company known for this type of shoddy service. I know this sounds harsh, but three times is just unforgiveable and a total epic failure. Why Fang wasn't himself making sure the headphone was perfect is beyond me. There is no better use for a company owners time than quality control and customer service. Sorry, just sayin.

Aug 13, 2014 at 12:03 AM Post #6,817 of 21,171
My set is also perfect, and I certainly in light of this ongoing saga feel very lucky. HFM, please take care of this ridiculous situation. I can't emphasis enough how important it is to demonstrate that HFM takes these type of issues seriously. We know you can create sonic art, now complete the picture and show us how well you can do customer care.

Aug 13, 2014 at 1:18 AM Post #6,819 of 21,171

Have you tried giving it a tightening with some needle-nosed pliers or something? Did you pre-wind the cable the opposite direction so that it doesn't undo itself due to torsion? Whenever I see people complaining about cable issues I'm a bit irked that they don't give more info about what they've tried, because often it can be something trivial to fix.

Aug 13, 2014 at 3:43 AM Post #6,820 of 21,171
Some measurements with my Realiser ear mics, phones on my head (see sig for others). Whole REW mdat: MDAT_Hifiman_HE560.zip

HE560 vs HD800 / HD600

(unsmoothed)

THD (<0.5% everywhere @~90dB)

Square waves like Tyll does it:

Hifiman HE56030hz300hz
Sennheiser HD80030hz300hz

Here's what happens without the grill. I did the measurements extra carefully several times and twice over, without moving the headphones or mics on my head one bit. Very repeatable result, tiny subbass boost, 9k peak lessened, 15khz boost (airyness?).

Another grill take, this time with a DIY more flowing grill without any fabric (GRILL1 in the graph). See regrilling thread.

Focus (stock) vs Focus-A (pre-release) pads:

- Measured with stock grills
- Focus-A seems to result in small 1-2khz boost and 4khz reduce, so more neutral as many say

Aug 13, 2014 at 3:58 AM Post #6,821 of 21,171
Really surprised that Hifiman stuck with the same connectors. Correct me if I'm wrong but weren't the HE-560s being sent to an address at a college in another post? Like is someone repairing these at their residence and refurbishing them and sending them back out?

Aug 13, 2014 at 6:11 AM Post #6,823 of 21,171
Have you tried giving it a tightening with some needle-nosed pliers or something? Did you pre-wind the cable the opposite direction so that it doesn't undo itself due to torsion? Whenever I see people complaining about cable issues I'm a bit irked that they don't give more info about what they've tried, because often it can be something trivial to fix.

I've tried to pre wind the cable. The female connector on the headphones is loose and not allowing for the headphone cables to attach properly. They keep falling off. The other side fits just fine without trouble.

Aug 13, 2014 at 6:59 AM Post #6,825 of 21,171
Here's what happens without the grill. I did the measurements extra carefully several times and twice over, without moving the headphones or mics on my head one bit. Very repeatable result, tiny subbass boost, 9k peak lessened, 15khz boost (airyness?).

These are some pretty informative graphs

Users who are viewing this thread

Back