= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Aug 4, 2014 at 2:02 PM Post #6,406 of 21,175
In my opinion HE-560 could stand to be a little more resolving by the way. I found my staxes and hd800 to do a better job at seperating instruments/sounds when I had HE-560 for a visit. Problem with that sorta stuff (detail, seperation) is that perception is colored by the FR/sound signature IMO, so take it with a grain of salt. Just don't think HE-560 is the best in details and seperation etc.

Same impressions here the HE-560 isn't the best in details and resolution compared to my Stax headphones, but is a very nice can with amazing bass extension and a very musicality sound signature. I use it with the Velour pads on a Oppo HA-1 in balanced mode and enjoy it very much. I think it is one of the best headphones released in the last years :)

Aug 4, 2014 at 2:18 PM Post #6,407 of 21,175
Same impressions here the HE-560 isn't the best in details and resolution compared to my Stax headphones, but is a very nice can with amazing bass extension and a very musicality sound signature. I use it with the Velour pads on a Oppo HA-1 in balanced mode and enjoy it very much. I think it is one of the best headphones released in the last years
smily_headphones1.gif

There may be a good question here, to what HPs do you guys think the HE-650 is the closest in term of signature?

Aug 4, 2014 at 2:24 PM Post #6,408 of 21,175
There may be a good question here, to what HPs do you guys think the HE-650 is the closest in term of signature?
he300 maybe? It was just as dark sounding as a hd650 i once heard.. Hd650 was more musical though.

Aug 4, 2014 at 2:27 PM Post #6,409 of 21,175
Sounds like you need to get one. The lower treble is exactly where it changes the sound and to me sounds more favorable than production. Imaging and depth improves with the focus A pads as well.

560's treble is not too strong, so there's no need to worry.  The lower treble is problematic to me with focus pads, but less so of a problem with focus-a pads.  I associate tizz with 10khz+, and the 560 is a little warm in those areas.  It is slightly hard in the lower treble around 4-6khz at times.

Aug 4, 2014 at 2:35 PM Post #6,411 of 21,175
Same impressions here the HE-560 isn't the best in details and resolution compared to my Stax headphones, but is a very nice can with amazing bass extension and a very musicality sound signature. I use it with the Velour pads on a Oppo HA-1 in balanced mode and enjoy it very much. I think it is one of the best headphones released in the last years :)

In my opinion its a little bit Stax (transparency, detached instruments) and a little bit Hifiman HE5LE/HE6 (Bass), mids are a little bit from Audeze LCD2/3. The resolution and soundstage are not at the level of the top tier headphones but the musicality, mids and the bass extension is nearly perfect, the comfort also. :D

But take the velour pads the original Focus pads are not the best choice!

Aug 4, 2014 at 2:58 PM Post #6,412 of 21,175
As far as Stax goes..if I wanted only a desktop set up, I think a comparably priced set-up but better sound overall is the 404LE and SRM-006t I had.

Details, resolution, imagining, realism..  In these I think Stax bests the HE560s but to me the bass is better on the HE560s.  The 560s also have a little more depth and scale with that particular Stax set-up being, overall, more intimate.

Once you get up to the SR-007s then Stax is better in every way (to my ears) but that's a lot more money.

Aug 4, 2014 at 3:26 PM Post #6,413 of 21,175
  As far as Stax goes..if I wanted only a desktop set up, I think a comparably priced set-up but better sound overall is the 404LE and SRM-006t I had.

Details, resolution, imagining, realism..  In these I think Stax bests the HE560s but to me the bass is better on the HE560s.  The 560s also have a little more depth and scale with that particular Stax set-up being, overall, more intimate.

I second this... The realism I think is due to the very extended treble and generally very low distortion without many peaks and dips in the FR.

I remember associating the before mentioned tizz with some 12 kHz +/- btw.

Aug 4, 2014 at 3:26 PM Post #6,414 of 21,175

I appreciate your long response.  I quoted this as I have a problem with the "believe" part of this.  If someone wants to tell me that cables don't make a difference because theory says they don't and have never bothered to try them....  If you have tried some and they match the theory, that's another thing.  
That's unfortunately most of the problem with these "debates".  Some have tried and say there is a difference and are told they are wrong by those who theorize that they can't possibly be hearing a difference based on the measurements of what, theoretically, the ear can or can't hear.
As they say, "the proof of the pudding is in the eating"...

As far as headphones only affecting the sound quality... well that's just not true..  (I realize you say "should" but still..)

At the very least, cables are the very last thing you should be spending money on compared to improvements available elsewhere.

Headphones should be the only thing affecting SQ if using a solidstate amp. This assumes source files are good enough (well mastered CD quality suffices) and the DAC is good (ODAC measures brilliantly and is cheap to boot). As far as tubes go, I don't know enough to comment. I've never wanted some so never looked at them.

Sound Science does have it's benefit's though. Once Tyll measures the HE560 we can see what to change (whether it be the amp's output impedance or EQ) to try and make these sound like what we want. And it does help for quick comparisons between headphones.

Aug 4, 2014 at 4:06 PM Post #6,415 of 21,175
Sounds like you need to get one. The lower treble is exactly where it changes the sound and to me sounds more favorable than production. Imaging and depth improves with the focus A pads as well.

Sorry but no...
I agree that it tames the lower treble a bit but I just cannot agree with the rest.
It's the exact opposite for me 
biggrin.gif

Aug 4, 2014 at 4:25 PM Post #6,416 of 21,175

Once you get up to the SR-007s then Stax is better in every way (to my ears) but that's a lot more money.

I think it depends upon what you have upstream. Have you tried balanced, changing amps, sources? I get a very good frequency response, with detailed audio information that is layered and transparent. Overall, a very realistic sound. I will add that I use hyper pure dead soft silver in the IC's, silver Litz for the cable of the phone but I also think the stock cabling is very good. 

Aug 4, 2014 at 5:13 PM Post #6,417 of 21,175
  At the very least, cables are the very last thing you should be spending money on compared to improvements available elsewhere.

Headphones should be the only thing affecting SQ if using a solidstate amp. This assumes source files are good enough (well mastered CD quality suffices) and the DAC is good (ODAC measures brilliantly and is cheap to boot). As far as tubes go, I don't know enough to comment. I've never wanted some so never looked at them.

Sound Science does have it's benefit's though. Once Tyll measures the HE560 we can see what to change (whether it be the amp's output impedance or EQ) to try and make these sound like what we want. And it does help for quick comparisons between headphones.

I see what you're saying and agree with you on the last part about the measurements providing a standard to judge and make some informed decisions, though the numbers don't tell the whole story as some point out about that amp that measures perfectly but doesn't sound that way.

Back in my 2-channel Audiogon days, many advocated that at least a 1/4 of the budget (if not 1/3) be devoted to cabling..  All I can say is that if one is open-minded enough to give cabling a try, they might be surprised at the differences and improvements that can be heard.

I think it depends upon what you have upstream. Have you tried balanced, changing amps, sources? I get a very good frequency response, with detailed audio information that is layered and transparent. Overall, a very realistic sound. I will add that I use hyper pure dead soft silver in the IC's, silver Litz for the cable of the phone but I also think the stock cabling is very good. 

Very true... That's the big problem with a thread like this in the first place though.  With so many systems having only the headphones as the common denominator, it's tough to say anything with certainty.
Changing from my CD rips on my ipod to Audirvana 24/192 on my iMac through the CEntrance made a very significant difference in realism.  There was a real "meatiness" to the sound of the violin on the later that was more artificial and shrill on the former, for instance.  

Aug 4, 2014 at 6:15 PM Post #6,418 of 21,175
What i dont understand is how ppl dont believe the treble is north of nuetral but everyone wants to tame the treble with a pads.

Im not hating on anyone but i am a little confused. I did some a/bing vs my zmf x vibro yesterday and to my surprise the 560 treble was less abrasive on some songs though still a little brighter.

The brain is burning in on these for sure and there is a ton to admire a out his hp.

Aug 4, 2014 at 6:42 PM Post #6,420 of 21,175
  Sorry but no...
I agree that it tames the lower treble a bit but I just cannot agree with the rest.
It's the exact opposite for me 
biggrin.gif

Something wrong with your ears.
wink.gif

To my ears the treble doesn't go as wide and deep as the mids and lows. It's hard to put a finger on it but ever heard of mids being a few steps back on the stage to describe a recessed mids on some headphones? It's kinda like that except the treble is forward. Some other members seem to hear the same..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back