= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Jul 9, 2014 at 8:36 PM Post #4,906 of 21,171
  Very sound impressions Matt!  They're pretty much how I hear the 560 as well.  I still don't have or never had an issue with the screw-in plugs on the hifiman 'phones though, although I know a lot of people do.  
biggrin.gif

I think what bothers me about the veneer on the new 560 is the finishing of the cut on the edge of the veneer.  It's not as smooth as it could be.

Right. I screw them in once I receive the headphone, and never have another problem again. Same happened with the HE-560.

Though I like the Audeze design better, not because it's mini-XLR, but because it guides the cables away from the listener. They need to do something about that headband though, and loose some weight.

Jul 9, 2014 at 8:52 PM Post #4,907 of 21,171

Right. I screw them in once I receive the headphone, and never have another problem again. Same happened with the HE-560.

Though I like the Audeze design better, not because it's mini-XLR, but because it guides the cables away from the listener. They need to do something about that headband though, and loose some weight.

With the old style hifiman, you could get a small pair of needle nose pliers on the nut, and give it another 1/4 turn and then you were golden. Now with the new design, there is that black piece of plastic and plus the connector is slightly more recessed preventing tightening. 

Jul 9, 2014 at 9:10 PM Post #4,908 of 21,171
Just tried out a custom Norse Reign cable on the 560. While I would argue that there is a slight improvement in the sonic quality, there is a wicked nice improvement in form and function. Plus it looks tricked out...
biggrin.gif

Jul 9, 2014 at 9:23 PM Post #4,911 of 21,171
  Now that I feel I've got a handle on the sound of the 560, I'll be doing a direct comparison of the 560 vs hd800. 

popcorn.gif

Very interested in this.

Jul 9, 2014 at 9:47 PM Post #4,912 of 21,171
Matt, how does the bass compare to the Alpha Dog's bass? I ask of this comparison, because the AD is about the only neutral oriented headphone where I was still in love with it's bass. You know where my tastes lie in terms of planar bass (*cough*LCD2HE400*cough*).

I have no doubt I would still love the 560, but would I be fully happy with it as an end be all headphone? I'm skeptical.

I do honestly prefer a slightly recessed upper mid and treble range when compared to the bass and lower mids. For example: The frequency response 'line' would be completely flat from sub bass to mid bass, and slope down word to end in a linear line between upper mids and treble.

I'll refer to to the Philips Fidelio X1 here, which has to closest to ideal curve I've seen to date. All I changed was the bass section, which the X1 rolls off a bit in the sub bass.

Taken from innerfidelity and modified:

That is essentially my idea of the perfect response. The line could last a bit further into the mids for even better mids though.

If anything can do it, it's planars. Come on HFM, make one like this! :D

Jul 9, 2014 at 10:07 PM Post #4,914 of 21,171
Matt, how does the bass compare to the Alpha Dog's bass? I ask of this comparison, because the AD is about the only neutral oriented headphone where I was still in love with it's bass. You know where my tastes lie in terms of planar bass (*cough*LCD2HE400*cough*).

I have no doubt I would still love the 560, but would I be fully happy with it as an end be all headphone? I'm skeptical.

I do honestly prefer a slightly recessed upper mid and treble range when compared to the bass and lower mids. For example: The frequency response 'line' would be completely flat from sub bass to mid bass, and slope down word to end in a linear line between upper mids and treble.

I'll refer to to the Philips Fidelio X1 here, which has to closest to ideal curve I've seen to date. All I changed was the bass section, which the X1 rolls off a bit in the sub bass.

Taken from innerfidelity and modified:

That is essentially my idea of the perfect response. The line could last a bit further into the mids for even better mids though.

C - knowing what I know about you, I'll say that the 560 is not for you. This is not lcd2.2 bass or he400 for that matter. It does go deep and with texture, but in my estimation it's "dry" rather than "wet." You won't get that same visceral punch that I think you're looking for. 

My advice...hold out for the he400i and see what shakes out. And don't worry, I'm looking out for you. I'll have a hp or two to send your way soon. 
wink.gif

Jul 9, 2014 at 10:15 PM Post #4,915 of 21,171
Matt, how does the bass compare to the Alpha Dog's bass? I ask of this comparison, because the AD is about the only neutral oriented headphone where I was still in love with it's bass.

That is as good an explanation of the AD's bass that I have read yet, and much better than the way I have described it.

I am also extremely interested in this comparison...

Jul 9, 2014 at 10:18 PM Post #4,916 of 21,171

C - knowing what I know about you, I'll say that the 560 is not for you. This is not lcd2.2 bass or he400 for that matter. It does go deep and with texture, but in my estimation it's "dry" rather than "wet." You won't get that same visceral punch that I think you're looking for. 

My advice...hold out for the he400i and see what shakes out. And don't worry, I'm looking out for you. I'll have a hp or two to send your way soon. 
wink.gif

IMO HE400's bass is not that wet at all, HE500's is. HE560's bass is a lot closer to HE400's in terms of dryness than to HE500.

I honestly can't pick out anything off with HE560's (with Focus-A pads) bass, it's as articulate and linear as can be, and nothing is exaggerated or under-represented. I'd even go so far as to say that the bass is more perfect than the midrange or the treble.

Just have to get a perfect seal with the earpads or the driver tends to lose control (a small caveat of single-ended magnet design).

Jul 9, 2014 at 10:19 PM Post #4,917 of 21,171
I think you would like the HE-560 a lot MLE.  Its response is flat from 20hz to 1khz, and then from 1khz to 10khz it's basically a diagonally sloping down line that's -10db at 10khz.

I am perfectly fine with the HE-560's bass coming from the HE-400.

Jul 9, 2014 at 10:23 PM Post #4,918 of 21,171
Damn it, lol. So many conflicting reports. :D

It's definitely not that I'm against neutral oriented headphones. Really. I LOVE the Alpha Dog. Would it be the only headphone for me? I do prefer a warmer line, but I could definitely live with it, as the bass was just fine though a little too dry for my specific tastes. Ironically though, the Pro 900 has massive and really dry mid bass, which I enjoyed... but the rest was....ugh. I just have no need for closed headphones, especially one with leather pads.

I guess it's just down to when I actually hear the 560 where I'll see how it stacks up in bass to the AD.

Jul 9, 2014 at 10:25 PM Post #4,919 of 21,171

Now that I feel I've got a handle on the sound of the 560, I'll be doing a direct comparison of the 560 vs hd800. 

popcorn.gif

Very interested in this.

I'm curious too... even though I also own the HD800s and have made some comments comparing them to my new HE-560s, I'm interested in knowing what other HD800 owners think of the 560s. I'm keeping both of them...

Dale

Jul 9, 2014 at 10:34 PM Post #4,920 of 21,171
Damn it, lol. So many conflicting reports. :D

It's definitely not that I'm against neutral oriented headphones. Really. I LOVE the Alpha Dog. Would it be the only headphone for me? I do prefer a warmer line, but I could definitely live with it, as the bass was just fine though a little too dry for my specific tastes. Ironically though, the Pro 900 has massive and really dry mid bass, which I enjoyed... but the rest was....ugh. I just have no need for closed headphones, especially one with leather pads.

I guess it's just down to when I actually hear the 560 where I'll see how it stacks up in bass to the AD.

Why not oppo pm1 :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back