= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Jul 9, 2014 at 2:34 AM Post #4,831 of 21,175
I A/B them with my Hugo direct and Hugo via EF6 and to me HE6 sounded better in both setup but the gap increased when amped by the EF6 and hence my comment HE6 will scale better with more power. They are more similar sounding than different to me so it's not really a preference of say preferring LCD3 over HE6 or vice versa but to me HE6 is superior in sound while HE560 is easier to drive and have better comfort. For those who have the upstream to amp the HE6, it would be a downgrade to move to HE560. But for others HE560 make a lot of sense.

My 2 cents... :)

How would you describe the soundstage compared to the HE-6 ?

Thanks !

Jul 9, 2014 at 2:51 AM Post #4,832 of 21,175
How would you describe the soundstage compared to the HE-6 ?

Thanks !

I find both more similar than different compare to other headphones (say compare to my HD800). Having said that I thought I feel the HE560 is a little bit wider maybe due to the less full notes, while the HE6 seems more three dimensional with distinct part of the ensemble/orchestra more readily recognisable and not as flat as the 560. The difference again widen with the EF6. This is also more apparent on large classical pieces compared to say studio recorded pop/electronica. (And for reference, I feel both are better than my LCD or the PM1.)

Jul 9, 2014 at 3:08 AM Post #4,833 of 21,175
, I still find the 560s slightly lacking in bass quantity

Yayyy. I'm not the only one here that was thinking that. Now to hear it from someone who actually has the 560, all the more reason for me to get the 400i, as the quote below shows the HE-6 being superior. I was thinking "end-game" with the 560, but if the HE-6 is better (although with more expensive amping) I'd definitely rather hold out.
I A/B them with my Hugo direct and Hugo via EF6 and to me HE6 sounded better in both setup but the gap increased when amped by the EF6 and hence my comment HE6 will scale better with more power. They are more similar sounding than different to me so it's not really a preference of say preferring LCD3 over HE6 or vice versa but to me HE6 is superior in sound while HE560 is easier to drive and have better comfort. For those who have the upstream to amp the HE6, it would be a downgrade to move to HE560. But for others HE560 make a lot of sense.

My 2 cents...
smily_headphones1.gif

Woo that EF6 is expensive. Certainly solidifies the HE-6 being their flagship. A lot of sense as in less expensive amping to make it to it's fullest potential coupled with the comfort?

Sounds like fancy audiophile words for "colored." I can also EQ my HE-400 to achieve all sorts of "dynamic and tonal nuance."

Lol, colored. That word man. This really cracked me up though.
  http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=6&graphID%5B%5D=4163&graphID%5B%5D=3241&scale=30 the graphs seem to think otherwise. *edit* I say that in response to someone who said he heard the K712 has more bass than the HE-500. I should've quoted his comment, I can't seem to find it now. 
confused_face.gif

Dunno who said the k712 had more. I was told from someone that he found them equal. If the K712 has more, and I found the Annies lacking (really similar cans), then the 560 would disappoint me in that area. And bass is huge for me.

Those are funky looking graphs. Why the wobbliness in the bass-and-mids? Anywho, it does show the k712 as having more bass. You have to look at its bass quantity, as relative to the non-bass frequencies. The graphs show the k712 has having a greater bass-to-mids/treble proportion than the HE-500.

Because headphones can't be completely flat? lol. Idk.
It does? I guess I don't know how to read this graph.
  Well it should be pretty obvious that K712 is substantially more bassy than HE500 based on those plots. K712's 20-500 Hz region is much more elevated relative to 500 Hz+, compared to HE500 which has a lot more relative midrange/treble.

Edit: roflmao

What's so funny, JERG? Lol, your name should be Zurg :D

Jul 9, 2014 at 3:16 AM Post #4,834 of 21,175
  Because it's isolation graphs.   

Exactly.
  HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Seriously? You got +1 rep for laughing? Wow, lol.
I haven't seen a specific K712 graph, but if it's anything like the K702 and K702 anniversary, it's midrange and treble are above and equal to the bass, at the very least. 

The k712 is a more like the Annie than the original.
  LOL an isolation graph...
biggrin.gif

What am I not getting?

But since the he560 is not a dynamic driver like the hd800,
It does not have variable impedance according to frequency..

So being a planar(resistive without impedance),
I believe the he560 will scale more evenly and not just the bass...
wink.gif

I don't even get impedance.

The 400i seems to be taking after the 500 more than the 400, so I assume it's gonna have less perceivable bass than the HE-400. If you want bass, better go get an LCD2... at least a pre-fazor. Don't know what the fazor does to the bass.

LCD2 is too expensive.

Jul 9, 2014 at 3:25 AM Post #4,835 of 21,175
I googled 'K712 graph' and the K712 compared to the HE-500 was the first one I saw. Too good to be true, of course. :D

Actually I wouldn't be surprised if a well-amped K712 gives the HE-500 a run for it's money in bass presence. I own the K712, it has big powerful and very dynamic bass and sound in general without a doubt but this is only with good synergy. I need to listen to the two headphones side by side whenever I'm able to get the chance.

Jul 9, 2014 at 4:28 AM Post #4,836 of 21,175
I have just ordered the HE-560 and the Oppo HA-1 and this is my first post.  I will be looking for a decent balanced cable that is at least 15' to reach my listening position.  I prefer something that is flexible with low microphonics.  Drew at Moon-Audio recommended the Silver Dragon, but that comes to $450 for the length I need, which is half the cost of the headphone.  The 5 meter HiFiMAN cable at $229 seems to be a more reasonable cost, but I took a quick look at the HE-500 at a local dealer and the braided balanced cable they were using seemed stiff and made a lot of noise when handled.  Are there any recommendations on where I might get a decent 15' balanced cable at a reasonable cost?

Jul 9, 2014 at 5:04 AM Post #4,837 of 21,175
I have just ordered the HE-560 and the Oppo HA-1 and this is my first post.  I will be looking for a decent balanced cable that is at least 15' to reach my listening position.  I prefer something that is flexible with low microphonics.  Drew at Moon-Audio recommended the Silver Dragon, but that comes to $450 for the length I need, which is half the cost of the headphone.  The 5 meter HiFiMAN cable at $229 seems to be a more reasonable cost, but I took a quick look at the HE-500 at a local dealer and the braided balanced cable they were using seemed stiff and made a lot of noise when handled.  Are there any recommendations on where I might get a decent 15' balanced cable at a reasonable cost?

Congrats and very fine choices!

You can look at norne audio vanquish or Q cable. Both reasonably priced and very well made imo.

Jul 9, 2014 at 5:10 AM Post #4,839 of 21,175
Jul 9, 2014 at 5:16 AM Post #4,840 of 21,175
You can look at norne audio vanquish or Q cable. Both reasonably priced and very well made imo.

+1

I have cables from both and they are freaking awesome; light, flexible and sublime sounding! Norne edges out slightly due to customisation, their cables just look amazing. Also, Q cables don't have Hifiman termination, you have to get an adapter with the cable. 

Jul 9, 2014 at 5:20 AM Post #4,841 of 21,175

If you're into DIY, you can build yourself one quite simply for under $100.... take a 15' length of Mogami 2893 or Canare L-4e6s Starquad and strip the outer rubber/PVC jacket off the entire length. This will leave you with 4 conductors wrapped in a braided shield. If you find that too stiff, you could remove the 4 individually insulated conductors from the braid and that will leave you with them wrapped in paper insulation with some cotton spacers inbetween. Either way, take the 15' length and sleeve it with paracord of your choosing. At about 1.5' from one end, you'll have to separate the conductors into two pairs - use a commercial y-splitter or the barrel of a 1/8" TRS phono plug to cover the split. You will then need smaller paracord sleeving for the 2 pairs of wires. Terminate each pair in the Hifiman connectors that you can order online (http://head-direct.com/Products/?act=detail&id=83) and the other end with your preferred balanced connector - dual 3 pin male XLR, single 4 pin male XLR, RSA/ALO/Cypher Labs Kobiconn Iris connector, or a 4 pole TRRS 1/8" phono plug. Or better yet, terminate the other end in a 4 pin male mini-XLR and then make adapters going from 4 pin female mini-XLR to each of the balanced and single ended configs you will need.

There's lots of help available in the DIY forums here on Head-Fi, and lots of sample pics in the DIY gallery. If you're not capable of doing the DIY work yourself, I suspect you can find someone local to your area that could build one for you. Most of the commercial cables are going to be $200+, likely $300+ for a flexible one with low microphonics. Good luck...

Dale

Jul 9, 2014 at 5:57 AM Post #4,842 of 21,175
I have cables from all of the above mentioned companies. Forza for Europeans is excellent value though.
If you're handy, like the poster above states, there is always DIY. Here's a nice tutorial: http://www.headfonia.com/a-cable-not-rocket-science/

Jul 9, 2014 at 7:06 AM Post #4,843 of 21,175
The 400i seems to be taking after the 500 more than the 400, so I assume it's gonna have less perceivable bass than the HE-400. If you want bass, better go get an LCD2... at least a pre-fazor. Don't know what the fazor does to the bass.

There is a remarkable shift towards more treble extension and less sub bass. I know, strange right. I should have the 560 this afternoon for auditioning. 

Jul 9, 2014 at 7:15 AM Post #4,844 of 21,175

There is a remarkable shift towards more treble extension and less sub bass. I know, strange right. I should have the 560 this afternoon for auditioning. 

popcorn.gif

Jul 9, 2014 at 7:21 AM Post #4,845 of 21,175
  http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=6&graphID%5B%5D=4163&graphID%5B%5D=3241&scale=30 the graphs seem to think otherwise. *edit* I say that in response to someone who said he heard the K712 has more bass than the HE-500. I should've quoted his comment, I can't seem to find it now. 
confused_face.gif

If you use your headphones as speakers then perhaps you're right 
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back