= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Jul 8, 2014 at 12:05 PM Post #4,771 of 21,175

Could be worse.  This is how mine arrived:

Three other corners were scuffed up as well.  I suggested that head-direct change their packing foam setup to make it courier proof, but they didn't seem too worried about it.  Maybe they'll be a little more receptive to the idea when they see a few more of these.

Anyway... mine arrived just before I had to hit the road for work.  So I've been relegated to listening to them straight from my FIIO X5.  The X5 is doing a pretty solid job driving them.  Volume is only a problem if you want to use the EQ.  Their amazing imaging abilities are really evident on well produced tracks.  However I can't wait to feed these some more juice.

Has anyone tried the 560 from speaker taps yet?

I'll be giving that a try when I get back home in a couple weeks.  I'm hoping it negates the need for an amp purchase.  But of course I'm looking forward to everyone else's amp synergy results.

Jul 8, 2014 at 12:19 PM Post #4,772 of 21,175
It will be interesting to see if the he560 has a similar positive response to more power, as the he-6 and most all planars do..
Can't wait to get my balanced xlr cable's
:wink:

Jul 8, 2014 at 12:24 PM Post #4,773 of 21,175

Three other corners were scuffed up as well.  I suggested that head-direct change their packing foam setup to make it courier proof, but they didn't seem too worried about it.  Maybe they'll be a little more receptive to the idea when they see a few more of these.

Anyway... mine arrived just before I had to hit the road for work.  So I've been relegated to listening to them straight from my FIIO X5.  The X5 is doing a pretty solid job driving them.  Volume is only a problem if you want to use the EQ.  Their amazing imaging abilities are really evident on well produced tracks.  However I can't wait to feed these some more juice.

I'll be giving that a try when I get back home in a couple weeks.  I'm hoping it negates the need for an amp purchase.  But of course I'm looking forward to everyone else's amp synergy results.

You should either be looking for money back or have them send you a new box.  It isn't your fault they skimped on the packaging.

Jul 8, 2014 at 12:36 PM Post #4,775 of 21,175

I was expecting that this would happen to more customers, because the box I received didn't look too banged up from the outside. So it's definitely a packaging design issue. They need more protection on the top of the box, and perhaps the sides as well.

Also, on my sample, one of the gimbals that hold the cups has a spot on it. Not a major issue, but given the price point, should not happen often. The review on Amazon mentions a scratched gimbal as well.

Jul 8, 2014 at 12:49 PM Post #4,777 of 21,175

You should either be looking for money back or have them send you a new box.  It isn't your fault they skimped on the packaging.

They did offer to replace both the phones (which had some minor scuffs on the yokes) and the box.  However I think I'll just take their offer of free shipping on my next purchase.

I was pretty upset initially but now I'm just enjoying these too much to worry about the cosmetics.

Jul 8, 2014 at 12:58 PM Post #4,779 of 21,175
Lyr with better tubes then stock really makes the 560 sing,if you need any help on tube rolling pm me

uh oh I fear getting sucked back into Lyr2 land now, after having sold off original Lyr moons ago.    
beyersmile.png

will try to hold off Lyr2 by using the iFi micro iDSD arriving soon, and a Pulse Xfi at some random 2014 date.
both should have enough power to make HE-560 sing, although tube-less. ha!

Jul 8, 2014 at 1:09 PM Post #4,780 of 21,175
I was expecting that this would happen to more customers, because the box I received didn't look too banged up from the outside. So it's definitely a packaging design issue. They need more protection on the top of the box, and perhaps the sides as well.

Also, on my sample, one of the gimbals that hold the cups has a spot on it. Not a major issue, but given the price point, should not happen often. The review on Amazon mentions a scratched gimbal as well.

Yup.  I've got 3 of those scratches in the same spots on the gimbals.  Just looking at how they were packed, it was pretty obvious that even a small drop on the corner would compress the packing foam enough to damage the wooden box.  

I'll send head-direct another email letting them know that I'm not alone and they really should look at improving the shipping package. 

Jul 8, 2014 at 1:17 PM Post #4,781 of 21,175
  They did offer to replace both the phones (which had some minor scuffs on the yokes) and the box.  However I think I'll just take their offer of free shipping on my next purchase.

I was pretty upset initially but now I'm just enjoying these too much to worry about the cosmetics.

That's good that they did offer to make it right.  Personally, I would have been upset too.

I'm one of those people who doesn't give a flying flock about display boxes that headphones come with, they can come in bubble-wrap for all I care lol.

The sticking point isn't the display box per se, it's the fact that some piece of the whole package was damaged.  I don't care about display boxes either and all gear I have, the boxes are tucked away on a shelf out of sight.  However, if I paid for something, I want it to be 100% what it should be.  The display box wasn't "free" and is certainly including in the total price of the headphone.  If you could get something wrapped in bubble wrap and save money, I would be all for that.  But if I'm paying for something, I want all parts of it to be right (whether I use it or not).

Jul 8, 2014 at 1:22 PM Post #4,782 of 21,175
  Hard hitting is something personal though. What is hard hitting for one is soft for the other.
To me it has good bass, more quality over quantity. The LCD2's bass (of course) is bigger in example

And here comes the saving grace, lol.

Jul 8, 2014 at 1:26 PM Post #4,783 of 21,175
  I'm one of those people who doesn't give a flying flock about display boxes that headphones come with, they can come in bubble-wrap for all I care lol.

Totally my feeling as well. Frankly the more they spend on packaging, the less is spent on the headphone itself. This deluxe box might represent an 8' cable instead of a 6'. Just sayin.

Jul 8, 2014 at 1:29 PM Post #4,785 of 21,175
  Bass quantity of HE-560 is somewhat similar to the HD600, less than the HE-500 and LCD-2, but more than the HD800. The quality (hits lower, faster, texture) is another matter of course.

this guy selling the HE-500 says he found the AKG K712 pro and HE-500 to have equal bass. I had the K702 Annies, so if the 560 has LESS than the 500, then woo, glad I'm getting the 400i.

LOCAL HIFIMAN DEALER: Got the time to give the 560 a listen
ME: Of coutse!
LOCAL HIFIMAN DEALER: Send me your address, then I'll send a 560 to you

biggrin.gif

You lucky.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back