= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Mar 29, 2014 at 8:14 PM Post #451 of 21,176
  Are there any units being sent for measurements? Tyll, purrin or anybody else should receive one soon?
Besides the impressions and reviews, which are hugely important, it'd be nice to take a look at some graphs and compare to other HP's...

I can't wait for that too. I was going to buy HE-500, but now I want to see how these measure. If they fixed that small dip at 5-6kHz and increased upper treble a bit then I think it would be the perfectly balanced headphone and I will be definitely getting them. With lower weight, more efficient drivers and comfortable pads it would make them the ultimate headphone.

Mar 29, 2014 at 8:20 PM Post #452 of 21,176
  I can't wait for that too. I was going to buy HE-500, but now I want to see how these measure. If they fixed that small dip at 5-6kHz and increased upper treble a bit then I think it would be the perfectly balanced headphone and I will be definitely getting them. With lower weight, more efficient drivers and comfortable pads it would make them the ultimate headphone.

They definitely are going to be 2 different beasts either way though

Mar 29, 2014 at 8:23 PM Post #453 of 21,176
  Mods make a difference only if one believes in it!  There are a lot of different schools of thought!

I think we should wait until the designer chimes in.  My point is someone might prefer more of this or more of that, there is no right or wrong.  Nothing wrong with an HE-500 owner to want more of what the HE-500 has to offer, but in the end after all of the mods, what exactly do you call it!

More HE-560 impressions needed please!

I call them my Uber-modded HE-500s 
darthsmile.gif

Frankly, when the designer offers two different pads with a new pair, he's opened the door, one through which I'm happy to walk 
wink.gif
  All the better when intelligent people like jerg take a careful, reasoned approach to modding, and share the process and results.  I find it inspiring; gets the imagination flowing.  That's why I use the pads I use.  If I hadn't attempted some of jerg's mods, I might not have wandered into sonic bliss.

That said, I could be moved to bliss out with the HE-560s, modded or not.

Mar 29, 2014 at 8:43 PM Post #454 of 21,176
  I said cables not making a difference, not mods. Some mods can be positive others not so much.

I dunno, man.  I feel like I should send jerg a special Monkey Cable.  Might make a difference, if only for the sheer  
cool.gif
 Factor.  What d'ya think?  
tongue.gif

Mar 29, 2014 at 11:10 PM Post #456 of 21,176
I'm sure Jerg will have a chance to demo the 400i. Pretty sure quite a few people, if not Hifiman itself would send him a pair, lol.

Mar 29, 2014 at 11:40 PM Post #458 of 21,176
I am curious how these sound with the cable for my HE-6. Will have to get it out later. But I need to let everything burn in as I have heard changes from the 1st hour. Yes, these are very fast, meaning that the transient speed is there and they settle fast so there isn't any blurring or mess of the frequencies. Would like a little deeper bass foundation. Will listen more. 

On comfort, very, very comfortable and fairly light in comparison to the 500's or 6 or the Audeze phones. Good looking phone also. 

Mar 29, 2014 at 11:47 PM Post #459 of 21,176
  I was under the impression that he would receive the early samples of the 400i from hifiman, as he did with this model.

Nah that's false information, I never heard anything about HE400i sample from Hifiman or Dr. Fang. I'm not sure how much they'd like to do that seeing as I didn't sugarcoat anything with this HE560 demo round 
biggrin.gif

Mar 29, 2014 at 11:55 PM Post #460 of 21,176
I am still impressed with the sound after a couple of more days with them and like the fact that they weigh less and dont give up anything in sound reproduction. I will listen more this weekend and also next week and continue to post current impressions..

Mar 30, 2014 at 2:18 AM Post #462 of 21,176
  No this is much more than that, I'm not just hearing more articulated high frequencies, but across the board most notably the midrange.

Most musical instruments, even bass instruments, produce high harmonics.  Headphones with extended high frequency response will reproduce those high harmonics better than headphones with more limited high frequency response.  Hence, with better high frequency extension, most instruments across the board, even drums and big bass fiddles, will sound more detailed.  One way some people express this is that "transient response" is better.

Take a standard 3-way speaker (woofer, midrange, and tweeter).  Disconnect the tweeter and have the speaker reproduce some bass instruments.  The bass instruments will sound terrible.  It will sound like the "transient response" of the speaker system has been destroyed.

It may be that you are indeed hearing something more than better high frequency extension in the new phones.  But maybe not.

Mar 30, 2014 at 2:23 AM Post #463 of 21,176
  I am still impressed with the sound after a couple of more days with them and like the fact that they weigh less and dont give up anything in sound reproduction. I will listen more this weekend and also next week and continue to post current impressions..

Usually I don't enjoy audiophile headphones with my older classic rock from the 60's, 70's and 80's but these are very enjoyable with that.  What do you think?

Mar 30, 2014 at 2:39 AM Post #464 of 21,176
How so? Please expand on this.

I feel like warm headphones or at least warmth in the chain via source or amp makes old rock sound great (like a warm vintage amp)...
Usually I don't enjoy audiophile headphones with my older classic rock from the 60's, 70's and 80's but these are very enjoyable with that.  What do you think?

Mar 30, 2014 at 2:41 AM Post #465 of 21,176
How so? Please expand on this.

I feel like warm headphones or at least warmth in the chain via source or amp makes old rock sound great (like a warm vintage amp)...
Agreed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back