HiFiMAN HE-560: AN IMPROVED HE-500? OR SOMETHING ENTIRELY DIFFERENT?
Aug 4, 2014 at 9:25 AM Post #16 of 32
Hahaha, thanks a lot. At this very moment i was reading your impressions. So you think it is not worth to buy the Focas A pads and instead try to go for a different cable ? Where can i buy the cable you used ? Is it expensive ?

Thanks again to remember i was waiting for your opinion.

Small correction. I was saying that the Focus-A ear-pads cannot COMPLETELY cure the hardness problem. They do help, and at $39, the improvement is worth the cost--BTW, Oppo offers their customer new ear-pads for the PM-1 to cure trebles problem free of charge, shipping included!!!

The cables are another matter. They are so expensive they might as well be called a component. Unfortunately, Frank of the Toxic Cables (check the Appreciation thread on HeadFi) is on vacation until September 28. And his Mini-Me can only answer emails not make the cables for you. And the wait is usually several months! Depending on what you are getting, the Copper Venom will run $500 on up. It is one of the most expensive cables (with the Silver Widow) Frank has. You can get less expensive cables but you have to do you research carefully to find the right one, which depends alot on your sonic preference.

Cheers!

Aug 4, 2014 at 2:07 PM Post #19 of 32
Hahaha, thanks a lot. At this very moment i was reading your impressions. So you think it is not worth to buy the Focas A pads and instead try to go for a different cable ? Where can i buy the cable you used ? Is it expensive ?

Thanks again to remember i was waiting for your opinion.

Small correction. I was saying that the Focus-A ear-pads cannot COMPLETELY cure the hardness problem. They do help, and at $39, the improvement is worth the cost--BTW, Oppo offers their customer new ear-pads for the PM-1 to cure trebles problem free of charge, shipping included!!!

The cables are another matter. They are so expensive they might as well be called a component. Unfortunately, Frank of the Toxic Cables (check the Appreciation thread on HeadFi) is on vacation until September 28. And his Mini-Me can only answer emails not make the cables for you. And the wait is usually several months! Depending on what you are getting, the Copper Venom will run $500 on up. It is one of the most expensive cables (with the Silver Widow) Frank has. You can get less expensive cables but you have to do you research carefully to find the right one, which depends alot on your sonic preference.

Cheers!

Thanks for the information. How would you compare depth and imaging between production and Focus A pads ?

Aug 4, 2014 at 2:46 PM Post #20 of 32
How did this get moved to introduction subforum.  Do the moderators even bother to read the topic before moving it?

I didn't notice because I was subscribed, but yeah. Probably just a goof.

Aug 7, 2014 at 5:44 AM Post #21 of 32
  Focus-A pads solves the 'hardness' around 4-5khz to some extent, making the bass heavier sounding because you're less distracted from that lower treble area.

I finally got the Focus-A pads last weekend:  they made a small difference in terms of reducing the hard sound or glare.

I found that replacing the stock cable with the Copper Venom (OCC copper; 22 AWG rectangular cross-section wire; cryo treatment) from Toxic Cables made a much bigger improvement in reducing glare and in other areas (richer midrange, more bass impact and more depth to the sound stage). 

Aug 21, 2014 at 3:51 PM Post #23 of 32
Interesting review. 

How does HE-560 compare to a well amped HD800 ?

The HE-560 is euphonic and easy to listen to. The mirange is more mellow than the HD800's.

The HD800, properly amped, is more revealing, has more details and a much bigger sound-stage. The bass is deeper but not as impactful.

Aug 22, 2014 at 11:47 AM Post #25 of 32
Thanks for the fast replay. 

What amp would you recommend for the HE-560?

I have heard it dosen't scale well with uber end amps (not as well as HD800).

Your statement is essentially true but I would look at the issue a different way.

The HD800 is very revealing so it requires--no, demands--pristine amps to sound great, most of them (except for the V2000 and the RWA Corvina) being rather expensive.

The HE-560 will sound good with many amps. Better amps will improve the sound but the difference is not as big as with the HD800 because you start from a higher level.

I have had the HE-560 only a few months so I have not had time for critical listening with all the amps I have. I cannot tell you yet what amp would be the best choice but the HE-560 sounded good with the following amps:

Vioelectric V200
GS-X Mk2
RWA Corvina, Bellina
Cavalli Liquid Fire
Woo WA5
Apex Peak/volcano
Eddie Current Super 7
Bakoon HPA-21
EAR HP4

Aug 22, 2014 at 1:35 PM Post #26 of 32

Thanks for the fast replay. 

What amp would you recommend for the HE-560?

I have heard it dosen't scale well with uber end amps (not as well as HD800).

Your statement is essentially true but I would look at the issue a different way.

The HD800 is very revealing so it requires--no, demands--pristine amps to sound great, most of them (except for the V2000 and the RWA Corvina) being rather expensive.

The HE-560 will sound good with many amps. Better amps will improve the sound but the difference is not as big as with the HD800 because you start from a higher level.

I have had the HE-560 only a few months so I have not had time for critical listening with all the amps I have. I cannot tell you yet what amp would be the best choice but the HE-560 sounded good with the following amps:

Vioelectric V200
GS-X Mk2
RWA Corvina, Bellina
Cavalli Liquid Fire
Woo WA5
Apex Peak/volcano
Eddie Current Super 7
Bakoon HPA-21
EAR HP4

Is the Oppo HA-1 a good match ?

Aug 22, 2014 at 6:00 PM Post #28 of 32
  Haven't got around to checking that pairing yet.

popcorn.gif

Nov 14, 2014 at 5:12 AM Post #29 of 32
How would Schiit Vali 2 or Valhalla 2 match with HE-560?

Atm looking for some decant amp around 500usd (also not too big.. for traveling)

Hope we get this thread going again :)

Nov 14, 2014 at 7:35 AM Post #30 of 32
How would Schiit Vali 2 or Valhalla 2 match with HE-560?

Atm looking for some decant amp around 500usd (also not too big.. for traveling)

Hope we get this thread going again :)

vali2 doesn't exist yet :wink:
To my experience the vali is good but the garage 1217 polaris is quite better.

Edit : the main thread about the he-560 is here :
http://www.head-fi.org/t/711824/hifiman-he-560-impressions-discussion-thread/
It should be a better place for your question.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back