HifiMAN HE 500 or Tesla T1?
Aug 25, 2011 at 3:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

gurus

1000+ Head-Fier
Looking to buy a set of headphones for casual listening. Just don't have the time or energy to find a dealer and go audition them.  I have had a series of HPs that were considered the best during their time but don't want to get caught up in that anymore. 

Mostly listen to rock (70-80s) and jazz instrumental and vocals. I still have the custom made Pete Millett SRPP  amp to drive them. Very neutral tube amp. Just want to enjoy the music.

Any input would be much appreciated. And if you have any of the above HP's for sale please PM me.

Aug 25, 2011 at 3:08 PM Post #2 of 12
T1

otherwise, PS1000

For your genres, Grado would be the best you can find

Aug 25, 2011 at 3:30 PM Post #3 of 12
Heya,

Tough call actually. I was in the same predicament really. I ended up going with the HE-500 because I primarily listen to female vocals, acoustic, and jazz. But I also listen to EDM and some metal. So I wanted something that was just generous upon generous with mids, with a very capable bottom end, and a bright, but not sibilant high end. HE-500 did that. Plus, they're less expensive than a T1. Assuming you get them both new.

Very best,

Aug 25, 2011 at 3:38 PM Post #4 of 12

Quote:
Looking to buy a set of headphones for casual listening. Just don't have the time or energy to find a dealer and go audition them.  I have had a series of HPs that were considered the best during their time but don't want to get caught up in that anymore. 

Mostly listen to rock (70-80s) and jazz instrumental and vocals. I still have the custom made Pete Millett SRPP  amp to drive them. Very neutral tube amp. Just want to enjoy the music.

Any input would be much appreciated. And if you have any of the above HP's for sale please PM me.

I had the He500 in here for a few weeks and decided that the T1 was a better phone. Especially with tube amps and I listen to jazz,classical and rock. The T1 is a great all rounder and built better than any other flagship I have owned. YOMV

Aug 25, 2011 at 8:47 PM Post #5 of 12
Thanks everybody for their viewpoint. So it's going to be a T1.

I was leaning towards it, anyway, over the HE 500 because of the German build quality and the name.

Jan 18, 2012 at 7:04 AM Post #6 of 12

Quote:

I had the He500 in here for a few weeks and decided that the T1 was a better phone. Especially with tube amps and I listen to jazz,classical and rock. The T1 is a great all rounder and built better than any other flagship I have owned. YOMV

I recently purchased the HE500 and am thinking of getting the T1s and returning the HifiMan... for the price they are definitely lacking in dynamics and build quality compared to the other players... I have a WA6SE hoping the T1 will pair well because you mentioned it pairs well with tube amps.

Jan 18, 2012 at 7:39 AM Post #7 of 12

Quote:
I recently purchased the HE500 and am thinking of getting the T1s and returning the HifiMan... for the price they are definitely lacking in dynamics and build quality compared to the other players... I have a WA6SE hoping the T1 will pair well because you mentioned it pairs well with tube amps.

I have hear the Woo 6SE with the t1 and it pairs well as it will also with the D7000. I use an OTL but even my transforem based Taboo sounds great with my T1. Your good to go

Jan 23, 2012 at 7:53 PM Post #8 of 12
Tried both.. T1s win hands down, in everything compared to the HE500s. More resolution, better treble response, better mids, better bass. It's just no contest. My HE500s also arrived with very poorly braided cables and a loose ear cup - that was brand new... Wasn't impressed considering the price and fame of HifiMan.

Jan 23, 2012 at 9:03 PM Post #10 of 12

Quote:
Oh man, I had the complete opposite reaction. I found the T1 exceptionally bland, uninvolving and a bit bright.

Maybe its my amp, My WA6SE makes any headphone involving :)))

Feb 18, 2012 at 5:15 PM Post #11 of 12
I really didn't care for the T1, either, although I did try--very hard, in fact, to like them.  

Just bought the HE-5LE, though, and actually prefer them to the LCD-2/Rev.2.  Much better tonal pallet, superior front-to-back sense of spaciousness and an engaging sense of liquidity and overall synergy.  The LCD-2 sounded a bit dry, flat and clinical to me by comparison.

Feb 18, 2012 at 6:20 PM Post #12 of 12
IMO the T1 is one of the safer flagship phones to buy without auditioning if you don't have a strong inclination towards a certain type of sound. They are simply excellent in every area and the tonal balance is sublime. Just make sure you give them at least a solid week of listening before you make any meaningful assertions about them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back