HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Aug 3, 2012 at 1:03 PM Post #1,756 of 20,386
I have read some threads here detailing the events of our members having several high end cans sent for audition before purchase. Don't know who they used though. I think the gist of it was that he gave them a credit card number and let them bill like a percentage of whatever he had consigned to him. He had the LCD, HE, HD, T-1, etc.

The Cable Company

Aug 3, 2012 at 1:04 PM Post #1,757 of 20,386
Quote:
I became a new owner of the HE-500's earlier this week. They will first spend some time on my head, pleasuring my ears and senses with such wonders as: 

Stendeck - Scintilla,
Aes Dana,
Whitney Houston,
Guns N' Roses,
Roberta Flack,
<any jazz suggestions?>,
Supertramp - Crime of the Century,
Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon,
Depeche Mode - Ultra,
2Pac,
Michael Jackson,
Paul M. - Band on a Run,
The Cars - S/T,
Kalmah,
Strauss Waltzes - Reiner,

...amongst others ...and see where to go from there.

ps. I'm running mine 'old school', with Leather pads (Velvet itches my ears).

How about you? "Leather" or Velvet pads?

Leather pads forever!
By the way, if you are looking for a real test for your HE-500 rig, might I suggest  the following?  
   Camille Saint - Saens Symphony No. 3 "Organ"  The Philadelphia Orchestra.  It's a Ondine release recorded live in 2006 at the inaugural concerts of the Fred J Cooper memorial organ in Verizon Hall.  The low frequency bass in this recording is scary good.  With the HE-500's my cheeks were vibrating!   Really
eek.gif
   There are two other works on the disc that are also quite worthy in the bass department.  This disc should be included with the HE-500's 
tongue.gif

Aug 3, 2012 at 1:49 PM Post #1,758 of 20,386
Quote:
Thanks Yuceka! I don't think I will be parting from 1k to get the LCDs. The bass on HE-500 is already amazing.

Very true, I had a few qualms to begin with regarding the HE500's bass being a tad loose, but they have changed dramatically with burn in imo. The bass is now realistically shaped and powerful enough when the right music calls for it. I also think anymore bass quantity on these would ruin the whole balance. A true high end experience for me.

Aug 3, 2012 at 2:15 PM Post #1,759 of 20,386
I also think anymore bass quantity on these would ruin the whole balance. A true high end experience for me.

That's exactly what I said to myself after of week listening to it! :beerchug:

Aug 3, 2012 at 11:42 PM Post #1,761 of 20,386
I agree as well.  With the Decware Taboo I feel the bass impact, texture, and extension has even gotten better than the already good pairing I previously had with the V200.  I am amazed how well the HE-500 has scaled with higher end equipment.

Quote:
Very true, I had a few qualms to begin with regarding the HE500's bass being a tad loose, but they have changed dramatically with burn in imo. The bass is now realistically shaped and powerful enough when the right music calls for it. I also think anymore bass quantity on these would ruin the whole balance. A true high end experience for me.

Aug 5, 2012 at 2:50 PM Post #1,762 of 20,386
Raptor, I will look into that record. Thank you for your suggestion and pad input. Leather forever indeed. :)

I continue to pick my jaw off of the floor with each track I listen to on these. Well done Fang! Technically you've achieved it, ergonomically, you could use some help :wink: Drop me a PM, lets talk :) hahha, but no, seriously.

Back to the tunes. To quote Fear and Loathing...(and VAC)

Raoul Duke: Oh god... did you eat all this acid?
Dr. Gonzo: That's right. MUSIC!

ps. To add, my D7000's are becoming the 'odd headphone out' and might be getting the Axe here, Jeremiah Trotter styles, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVoNY9j1vqU @ 2:20.

Quote:
Leather pads forever!
By the way, if you are looking for a real test for your HE-500 rig, might I suggest  the following?  
   Camille Saint - Saens Symphony No. 3 "Organ"  The Philadelphia Orchestra.  It's a Ondine release recorded live in 2006 at the inaugural concerts of the Fred J Cooper memorial organ in Verizon Hall.  The low frequency bass in this recording is scary good.  With the HE-500's my cheeks were vibrating!   Really
eek.gif
   There are two other works on the disc that are also quite worthy in the bass department.  This disc should be included with the HE-500's 
tongue.gif

Aug 7, 2012 at 4:33 AM Post #1,764 of 20,386
Here are some pics of my new Toxic cable (Cryo OCC silver/copper). http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=toxic%20cables%20cryo%20he500&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CFEQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Ftoxic-cables.co.uk%2Findex.php%3Froute%3Dproduct%2Fproduct%26product_id%3D83&ei=lc8gUMO8FvGR0QXOs4CADw&usg=AFQjCNEx2QJgAirfkucMz3kwOtcEpR66gw

I prefer this over the stock silver cable in regards to sound, comfort (durability, no noise when moving it) and appearance. While I don't think there is anything particularly wrong with the stock, I've found the sound to be fuller and deeper (thicker) with the upgrade. IMO of-course. When comparing; the silver stock could be a little hard sounding at the top with bright recordings on occasion and the Toxic has that extra smoothness with no drop in brightness. Not a bad price too!      

Aug 7, 2012 at 4:47 AM Post #1,765 of 20,386
The only thing that I am worried about is the long heatshrink at the connectors on headphone end. I had one Hifiman stock cable with such long heatshrink and it touched my shoulder and was very annoying.

Aug 7, 2012 at 5:04 AM Post #1,767 of 20,386
Quote:
The only thing that I am worried about is the long heatshrink at the connectors on headphone end. I had one Hifiman stock cable with such long heatshrink and it touched my shoulder and was very annoying.

Yeah hadn't noticed until now, must mean it hasn't bothered me though... Either that or I've got a long neck
biggrin.gif

Just been trying some weird head positions and they are'nt anywhere near my shoulders. The only way they could be annoying is if you wear the phones with the headband resting on the top of your forehead so that the connecters are aimed at your body and even then they are very bendy and hardly noticeable.  

Aug 7, 2012 at 5:24 AM Post #1,768 of 20,386
Yeah hadn't noticed until now, must mean it hasn't bothered me though... Either that or I've got a long neck :D

Just been trying some weird head positions and they are'nt anywhere near my shoulders. The only way they could be annoying is if you wear the phones with the headband resting on the top of your forehead so that the connecters are aimed at your body and even then they are very bendy and hardly noticeable.  

Could you measure how long the heatshrink is along with the connector?

Aug 7, 2012 at 5:54 AM Post #1,770 of 20,386
Yeah the thing with the connectors is also something i've noticed when making my own cable. In the end i ended up cutting a bit off the connectors and soldering the cable in at an angle by keeping one wire longer then the other but both very short. Then i reinforced it with shrinktube and glue.

Sorry for the bad quality i'm not into phone-fi or camera-fi 
wink.gif
 It's not the neatest job i've done but it works and the connector with shrinktube is shorter then the stock cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back