HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Aug 31, 2015 at 11:31 PM Post #16,682 of 20,386
I tried the Focus Pad-A over the stock pleather pads and sound is much better. More intimate, tamed brightness with touch of more warmth. Surprised swapping of ear pads can bring much difference..

Personally, I can't stand the pleather pads. I don't know what it is about them but they felt like they sucked the warmth and body out of my music, leaving it bright and hollow feeling. I am really looking forward to trying out my new pads tomorrow.

The wait for a proper amp, however, will be the death of me.

Sep 1, 2015 at 12:39 PM Post #16,686 of 20,386
I might buy some other earpads for me HE-400 (I know, it's the HE-500 thread) but what does it do to the low frequencies (sub)?
Personally I don't have any problems with the standards pads (though I do not know if they are the same as the HE-500) but what I
not want to loose is the (really) lowest frequencies.

Sep 1, 2015 at 1:00 PM Post #16,688 of 20,386
I'm thinking I might need to tone down the clamping force just a tad as I'm starting to suspect that actually plays a larger part in my head fatigue than just the weight alone. But before I go messing around with bending metal I want to at least throw the Focus Pad-As on there and see how things sound and feel. It would be pointless to alter the cans right now if the angled pads will end up changing the clamping pressure.

I'm glad to hear you favor the Focus As over the Alpha pads, but only because I could only afford one pair right now and I was hoping I hadn't chosen unwisely.

I'd say 90% of the fatigue can be eliminated with a $10 padded headband wrap or there's a fancy leather support for $50 (just looks through pics in right menu bar). This evenly distributed weight and I don't even notice them. That might also alleviate perceived clamping force. I have the mega large Mad Dog Alpha pads and even with those clamping force is not an issue. Maybe you just have an usually large .... brain :wink:

Sep 1, 2015 at 4:19 PM Post #16,689 of 20,386
OK, sorry but come to find out the pads that gave me improvement over the HE-500 pleather ones are the pads that come with HE-560. It looked very similar to focus pads on Google image so I thought that was it but not. It's pleather on outer ring of the pad, and cotton like on the inner where your ears go. I bought headphones used and 3 pads came with it so I was not sure before. Original owner said it cost him $40.00

Edit - After a little more googling the FocusPads are the official pads for Hifiman HE-400i and HE-560, so I guess I was talking about the FocusPads after all. This pad gave substatial improvement over pleather HE-500 pads. Highly recommended.

Sep 1, 2015 at 6:04 PM Post #16,690 of 20,386
I made a free headband pad, took an old laptop bag which had the shoulder pad on it I removed that pad and put it on the 500's it happened to be a gel pad so very comfy 

Sep 1, 2015 at 9:46 PM Post #16,691 of 20,386
And . . . DONE!

Fuzzor, grill, and headband mods complete! Focus Pad-As installed. And what an immediate and unbelievable difference those last two make in comfort! The Focus As are like five times softer than the stock velours and the headband mod melted away half of the HE-500's weight. I haven't taken it for a test drive yet, but once I do I'll post my impressions.

Anyone want to loan me a Lyr 2? (Yeah, right.)

EDIT: It's 1:30 a.m. I have to be awake at 6:15 to get the kids ready for school, and I work from 9:00 to 6:00 today. I just made the mistake of listening to Seal's "Kiss From a Rose" (16/44.1 ALAC) through my HE-500s, with my eyes closed; and now I don't even want to go to bed. There are no words that adequately describe this magic, but I'll try anyway.

The mids are dynamic and exciting, but they exude a civilized energy that never detracts from the beauty of the song. The treble is delicate and clean, allowing me to identify nearly inaudible brush work on the cymbals at all times. Everything is bathed in the kind of warmth that perfectly accompanies a walk through an idyllic garden: it will never burn me or even tan my skin. It just makes me want to take off my jacket and enjoy the fresh air on my skin.

This is liquid. Hypnotic. Seductively flamboyant. Listening to my HE-500s (which are being driven at a mere 600mW—far from the recommended 2W) feels like skydiving in slow motion, through clouds made of silk sheets—and safely into cold, pure water that invigorates and nourishes me all at once.

Oh my God, these things are some kind of addictive witchcraft!

Sep 2, 2015 at 8:16 AM Post #16,692 of 20,386
And . . . DONE!

Fuzzor, grill, and headband mods complete! Focus Pad-As installed. And what an immediate and unbelievable difference those last two make in comfort! The Focus As are like five times softer than the stock velours and the headband mod melted away half of the HE-500's weight. I haven't taken it for a test drive yet, but once I do I'll post my impressions.

Anyone want to loan me a Lyr 2? (Yeah, right.)

EDIT: It's 1:30 a.m. I have to be awake at 6:15 to get the kids ready for school, and I work from 9:00 to 6:00 today. I just made the mistake of listening to Seal's "Kiss From a Rose" (16/44.1 ALAC) through my HE-500s, with my eyes closed; and now I don't even want to go to bed. There are no words that adequately describe this magic, but I'll try anyway.

The mids are dynamic and exciting, but they exude a civilized energy that never detracts from the beauty of the song. The treble is delicate and clean, allowing me to identify nearly inaudible brush work on the cymbals at all times. Everything is bathed in the kind of warmth that perfectly accompanies a walk through an idyllic garden: it will never burn me or even tan my skin. It just makes me want to take off my jacket and enjoy the fresh air on my skin.

This is liquid. Hypnotic. Seductively flamboyant. Listening to my HE-500s (which are being driven at a mere 600mW—far from the recommended 2W) feels like skydiving in slow motion, through clouds made of silk sheets—and safely into cold, pure water that invigorates and nourishes me all at once.

Oh my God, these things are some kind of addictive witchcraft!

Poetry!  Do you work in Marketing?  If not, that may be your calling haha

Glad you are enjoying them and took the plunge into modding.  Once you put the Focus Pad-A's on, how did you find the clamping you mentioned before?  Did you bend the headband out at all or was it good now?

If you are considering the Lyr 2, I'd recommend taking a look at the Garage1217 Project Ember amp as well.  Jeremy @ G1217 is a fantastic guy to deal with, and IMO, makes the best bang for your buck amps out there.  Plus, only 1 tube to worry about instead of 2.

Sep 2, 2015 at 1:11 PM Post #16,693 of 20,386
This has likely been posted in this thread B-4, but I just found out the 500 scales nicely with better gear.....................I switched dacs and transports and now use the metrum octave with the audiophilleo Ap1 with pp and I can tell you while the 500's were great they now sound steller, The cans are the same they just have the ability to convey what the new gear is capable of, and that is a +

Sep 2, 2015 at 2:32 PM Post #16,694 of 20,386
  This has likely been posted in this thread B-4, but I just found out the 500 scales nicely with better gear.....................I switched dacs and transports and now use the metrum octave with the audiophilleo Ap1 with pp and I can tell you while the 500's were great they now sound steller, The cans are the same they just have the ability to convey what the new gear is capable of, and that is a +

Completely agree with caveat that He-500's are not what I would call "forgiving" headphones.  The plus is that they resolve evrything with amazing detail - the downside is that they resolve everything with amazing detail.  Current rig has sent me in to the realm of actually looking up reviews on releases. i.e. Some releases and even many re-masters are just terrible ...  And little things become annoying when you know it's the source material not your gear ...

Sep 2, 2015 at 3:37 PM Post #16,695 of 20,386
Dear all,

I was able to purchase a new pair of HE-500 until they became a thing of the past :)

While DHL is shipping them to me from the US, I would be grateful if someone could advise me on a suitable amplifier for the headphones, based on my needs.

• I am a student and I travel by plane six times or more annually. Thus the amplifier should not be too heavy.
  • Most of the times, the amplifier will be fed by iBasso DX50 portable player line output, so if you know any amps with a single line input please tell me about them :)
  • If the amp you advise is a DAC/amp combo it is to have a coaxial input (as my iBasso has only coaxial out).
  • The amplifier should have reasonably good specifications (low output impedance, low THD, high SNR, A class preferably..)
  • It should act as an ideal voltage source (same voltage into different impedances) or be very close to it. 
    1000 mW @ 50 Ohm (7.071 Volts) 500 mW  @ 100 Ohm [size=1em](7.071 Volts)[/size]
    [size=1em]167 mW  @ 300 Ohm [/size][size=1em](7.071 Volts)[/size]

The question is - will I manage to find a suitable amplifier cheaper or lighter than Lyr 2?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back