HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Aug 25, 2014 at 1:50 AM Post #14,551 of 20,386
You will probably need something like the Project Sunrise as a starting point (or something from Audio-gd).

Aug 25, 2014 at 1:57 AM Post #14,552 of 20,386
In my experience, the O2 is not capable of driving the HE-500 to its full potential. It will lack impact and control.

So probably LCD2 would be a better choice?

I cant buy an amp now, so im almost giving up the HE500/LCD2 and getting the HE400 just to listen a planar headphone! LOL im VERY curious about the impact of the planar can make!

Aug 25, 2014 at 6:11 AM Post #14,553 of 20,386
After listening to a lot of cans over the years the term planar "slam" or "impact" has to be one of the comments that always make me scratch my head. I've heard a lot more impactful/slamming dynamics over the years. One thing certain is that the bass goes deep, but never has it truly been what I'd consider very powerful bass - despite being well extended. Often people act like the bass is earth shaking or thunderous.

Aug 25, 2014 at 10:04 AM Post #14,555 of 20,386
After listening to a lot of cans over the years the term planar "slam" or "impact" has to be one of the comments that always make me scratch my head. I've heard a lot more impactful/slamming dynamics over the years. One thing certain is that the bass goes deep, but never has it truly been what I'd consider very powerful bass - despite being well extended. Often people act like the bass is earth shaking or thunderous.

I think the HE500 has good impact and slam for an open headphone, and that is the key word open headphone. I would imagine that is what people are talking about when speaking of planar bass. Also the bass is very well controlled, clean, and well extended, IMO. This is without muddying up the sound. I wouldn't describe it earth shattering or thunderous from the few planars I've tried, but more very nice bass. The bass won't shake your head/headphones.

Aug 25, 2014 at 10:49 AM Post #14,556 of 20,386
Bass is fine, having the Akg K501 before the HE-500, the Hifiman are a relief in the bass department. There are songs where the bass goes really deep down almost a rumble.
But that could be more of a reproducing the bass effect rather than slamming really that hard idk.
But for an open headphone i'm really satisfied with the bass quantity and quality.

Aug 25, 2014 at 3:42 PM Post #14,557 of 20,386
  Finally got the Q701 pads installed on my HE-500.

The Q701 pads adds more air to the HE-500, sound stage is wider as expected and bass is tuned down a bit. Less V shape sounding compare with the HE-560 production Focus pads.

With the Q701 pads, I am not sure if I still want to do the open grill mod. The sound stage is wide enough for me now. But comfort wise I prefer the HE-560 production Focus pads a little bit more if the temperature is not high.

Cool!!!! 
beerchug.gif

I'll have to give this a try. I'm currently running Denon D7000 pads.

Aug 25, 2014 at 7:40 PM Post #14,559 of 20,386
Save the condescending garbage...

I own the HE500 and I'm happy with them and their bass quantity. I'm just commenting on how a lot of people go around talking about planar cans having slamming bass or thunderous bass.

Aug 25, 2014 at 7:55 PM Post #14,560 of 20,386
I've really been considering hifiman's new 400i and 560, but today was able to find new he-500's for only 520 dollars, so I jumped on it. Hoping I don't regret my decision!

Also I'm looking at amps that are good "all-around" amps. Basically something that can drive my senn hd-650's as well as the coming he-500's well. I'm leaning towards the Lyr 2, but it's a little pricey for me at the moment. But if it will do the trick I'm willing... any thoughts?

Aug 25, 2014 at 8:19 PM Post #14,561 of 20,386
  I've really been considering hifiman's new 400i and 560, but today was able to find new he-500's for only 520 dollars, so I jumped on it. Hoping I don't regret my decision!

Also I'm looking at amps that are good "all-around" amps. Basically something that can drive my senn hd-650's as well as the coming he-500's well. I'm leaning towards the Lyr 2, but it's a little pricey for me at the moment. But if it will do the trick I'm willing... any thoughts?

I have the HE-500s, and had the HD 650s, and the Lyr drives them both very well.  I don't have any experience with the Lyr 2, but I can't believe it's changed for the worse.  Just be sure to take into account that you might want to try different tubes down the road.  Fortunately, you can get excellent tubes without having to take out a second mortgage.

Hope you enjoy the HE-500s 
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 25, 2014 at 8:52 PM Post #14,562 of 20,386

I have the HE-500s, and had the HD 650s, and the Lyr drives them both very well.  I don't have any experience with the Lyr 2, but I can't believe it's changed for the worse.  Just be sure to take into account that you might want to try different tubes down the road.  Fortunately, you can get excellent tubes without having to take out a second mortgage.

Hope you enjoy the HE-500s 
smily_headphones1.gif

Thank you! Lyr 2 is on its way as well :)  I can't wait! I just hope I don't end up with buyer's remorse that I didn't get the 400i (or even the 560)... but as far as I can tell the he-500 still holds its own, and for 520 bucks I figured the 500's were worth a look

Aug 25, 2014 at 9:14 PM Post #14,563 of 20,386
   Thank you! Lyr 2 is on its way as well :)  I can't wait! I just hope I don't end up with buyer's remorse that I didn't get the 400i (or even the 560)... but as far as I can tell the he-500 still holds its own, and for 520 bucks I figured the 500's were worth a look

Just be sure to give both the cans and the tubes 50-100 hours before passing judgement.  What DAC will you be using?  Yes, $520 is a great deal for a new or lightly used pair.

Aug 25, 2014 at 10:28 PM Post #14,564 of 20,386

Just be sure to give both the cans and the tubes 50-100 hours before passing judgement.  What DAC will you be using?  Yes, $520 is a great deal for a new or lightly used pair.

I'll be using a schiit modi. I know, it'll be a "weak link" in my chain, but I'm not so sure I really buy in to the whole idea of spending a lot of money on a DAC. To me, they pretty much all do the same thing, and if working properly shouldn't really affect the sound. That being said, I haven't tried one of the more expensive DAC's to compare it with, but I'm not willing to spend that much money on something I'm not sure will do much (probably not a popular opinion around here, but i'm a student and money is pretty tight)

Aug 25, 2014 at 11:28 PM Post #14,565 of 20,386
  I'll be using a schiit modi. I know, it'll be a "weak link" in my chain, but I'm not so sure I really buy in to the whole idea of spending a lot of money on a DAC. To me, they pretty much all do the same thing, and if working properly shouldn't really affect the sound. That being said, I haven't tried one of the more expensive DAC's to compare it with, but I'm not willing to spend that much money on something I'm not sure will do much (probably not a popular opinion around here, but i'm a student and money is pretty tight)

I wouldn't sell short the DAC's importance in the chain.  I'm not trying to get you to spend money you may not feel you need to, but I'll give a simple, illustrative example.

I had no DAC, other than the ones in my PCs.  Since I was planning on using a laptop, I pretty much knew it wasn't the best, but I didn't want to spend a lot of money.  So I bought the HiFimeDIY Sabre U2 asynchronous DAC, plus the USB isolator.  Cost less than $100.  The difference between going straight from my laptop to my little portable amp, vs. using the Sabre U2 into the amp was immediately audible.

From that moment I knew I'd end up with a better DAC and amp (and cans!) for a desktop system.  And while the difference between the Sabre U2 and the Bifrost Uber is also audible, it's not as big a difference as between the laptop's DAC and Sabre U2.  And the moral of that story, as is posted all over Head-Fi, is that it costs in order to squeeze out those last few percentages, and in the end, unless your name is Bill Gates, that's a losing battle.  "Well, I've got the $500+ DAC.  Maybe I should get the $1500 DAC..." and so on.  Some people won't be happy until they've drained the bank account.

I think you'll be fine with your Modi.  Cans and amp will do you right.  Enjoy the music 
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back