HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
May 23, 2014 at 1:35 PM Post #13,711 of 20,386
Current setup is in my sig: audio gd nfb1.32+mjolnir.

Previous amp/DAC was a hidiman ef2a with upgraded western electric tubes, I did really enjoy this and would definitely reccomend it, I preferred it over magni/modi combo.

If money is no object I would want an audio gd master 7 + cavalli liquid cobalt. The mjolnir I first hears was fee through a master 7 and it sold me on the MJ. The cobalt I have heard through another DAC that I cannot remember, but it was amazing, I preferred it to the liquid gold, though it was a very brief impression of both so take it with a grain of salt. I didn't really care for the bottle head crack I heard with the 500, and the audio gd compass was good but not mind blowing. I want to hear a bryston bha and a auralic Taurus, as I feel those could potentially be better than the mjolnir, though enough to justify the price increase, probably not.

I want to hear the darkvoice/la Figaro 337/339 from recommendations in this very thread, but I'm annoyed that as a dual mono design it doesn't have a balanced counterpart.

I haven't hears a mini-x myself but I would like to to see how it compares to the mjolnir.

Fwiw, I didn't really like the mjolnir with the hd800s, and some people disagree that the MJ pairs well with hifiman products, it is seen as an aggressive amp, personally I think the greatness of the he-500 is how it sits right on the threshold of warm/neutral so people can go with say a wa6 and get super luscious mids or my route of an MJ and get hard hitting transients and speed.

May 23, 2014 at 1:58 PM Post #13,712 of 20,386
Great info thank you

I tried the Schiit Valhalla paired with the uber Bifrost and was surprised at the fidelity. I have the audiogd11.32 and liked the DAC but found the amp bright and harsh (I hate the software issues with the ESS9018), Currently I pair the Ess9018 with a 3 wpc single end pentode amp SE84
(in my signature)  It makes for a very resolving setup without the harshness, The Bifrost makes for a very musical warmish setup when paired with the SE84

Bifrost is likely better suited to a SS amp, or a hybrid like lyr or asgard, 

I see all kinds of gear tossed about I would like to hear but alas I am eternally Broke
biggrin.gif

May 24, 2014 at 9:20 AM Post #13,713 of 20,386
Hey guys, does anyone know if the HE-500 have some resonance arround 500hz?

I opened my HE-500 today to clean the drivers, see if there was any dust particle or hair on the diaphragm. After I finished, I went to sinegen to run some tests, see if anything has changed, and I noticed a really annoying noise I haven't heard before at arround 500hz with really loud levels, kinda of a "bzzzz" or something. I was afraid I had damaged the drivers, but then I remembered someone mentioning HE-500 has some resonance issues arround this range. Can anyone confirm this to me?

May 24, 2014 at 4:00 PM Post #13,714 of 20,386

I opened my HE-500 today to clean the drivers, see if there was any dust particle or hair on the diaphragm. After I finished, I went to sinegen to run some tests, see if anything has changed, and I noticed a really annoying noise I haven't heard before at arround 500hz with really loud levels, kinda of a "bzzzz" or something. I was afraid I had damaged the drivers, but then I remembered someone mentioning HE-500 has some resonance issues arround this range. Can anyone confirm this to me?

I just ran some tests through sinegen at 500hz and sweeping past it slowly with my eyes closed to see if I could identify anything and I really couldn't hear anything like a "bzzz" myself. Looking at the CSD there seems to be a little bit of trailing right after 500hz, maybe around 600, but I can't think that it would be audible at -30ish dB. Maybe try cleaning the drivers again or check the source with another pair of headphones?

May 24, 2014 at 6:02 PM Post #13,715 of 20,386

Even if there's some resonance, it shouldn't create a vibration sound unless there is something loose that is able to move with the in increased air pressure / movement created by the resonance. Is it on both sides or just one?

I have heard the wires inside the cup vibrate occasionally against something, but only at higher-than-normal bass levels so it could be this you're hearing depending on volume. Alternatively there might be a hair inside the cup that's creating the sound - it's surprising what noises a single stray hair can make.

May 25, 2014 at 2:06 PM Post #13,717 of 20,386
It isn't amp or source, because I don't hear it with my other headphones.

I assembled everything properly. Maybe a strand of hair fell into the driver when I opened it. I'll check it again today.

This noise occurs more precisely between 500hz and 520hz.

May 25, 2014 at 2:33 PM Post #13,718 of 20,386
no BZZZZ noise from mine

simple didd you hear the noise b-4 opening the cans, If not then the problem is something to do with putting them back together either a hair wire or ??

May 30, 2014 at 5:01 AM Post #13,720 of 20,386
Anyone know a good fix for the white noise you get when driving the 500's from a speaker amp? I remember it having to do with resistors, but I forgot the details.

Interested in this too, as switching to a higher rated unknown amp soon with planars @ 35/50/60 ohms and there must be a simpler way than these DIY or retail resistor boxes.

May 30, 2014 at 7:43 AM Post #13,721 of 20,386
Anyone know a good fix for the white noise you get when driving the 500's from a speaker amp? I remember it having to do with resistors, but I forgot the details.

Interested in this too, as switching to a higher rated unknown amp soon with planars @ 35/50/60 ohms and there must be a simpler way than these DIY or retail resistor boxes.

You could build 2 resistors into a DIY speaker adapter cable, just as series, one for each channel. Or make an xlr terminated cable and a speaker adapter pigtail with resistors. You'll both get a new cable and speaker connectivity options.

May 30, 2014 at 9:13 AM Post #13,722 of 20,386
Or get a higher grade powerful balanced headphone amp..problem solved :D

A bit oftopic: Just got my Solid Tech Radius Solo 3 rack (3 levels) delivered to replace my also good atacama Equinox rack (2 levels)..very stabile and heavy for a metal (aluminium) based rack!...very yummy looking!
Am now waiting for 2 pairs of their 'Feet of Silence' to be put under my amp components to be delivered next week and next month a pair of 'Disks of Silence' for under the rack instead of the spikes :wink: and extra springs to make the top level totally springloaded. :p

Its a good month again :cool:

May 30, 2014 at 11:30 AM Post #13,723 of 20,386
Hey Guys, thought I'd drop in as I've been messing around with different pads lately on my He-500's, found that my two favorite are the  Audeze LCD 2 Leather pads and the Shure 1540 Alcantara pads.  I was worried that the Shure pads wouldn't fit but they go on very easily and are a SUPER alternative to the INHO lackluster Hifiman velour pads.  Much more comfy.  Sound wise the Shure pads may sound a little warmer than the Audeze pads but I have to do more testing.  I'll try to post impressions later

FYI I used to use the Brainwavz pads on the Hifiman and liked them a lot too, Alpha pads are nice as well but the Shure and Audeze hit top mark for me sound/comfort wise! 

Will try to snap a pic as well.

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
May 30, 2014 at 11:35 AM Post #13,724 of 20,386
Two questions, do the Shure pads mount the same way, and where did you buy them from?

May 30, 2014 at 11:37 AM Post #13,725 of 20,386
  Hey Guys, thought I'd drop in as I've been messing around with different pads lately on my He-500's, found that my two favorite are the  Audeze LCD 2 Leather pads and the Shure 1540 Alcantara pads.  I was worried that the Shure pads wouldn't fit but they go on very easily and are a SUPER alternative to the INHO lackluster Hifiman velour pads.  Much more comfy.  Sound wise the Shure pads may sound a little warmer than the Audeze pads but I have to do more testing.  I'll try to post impressions later

FYI I used to use the Brainwavz pads on the Hifiman and liked them a lot too, Alpha pads are nice as well but the Shure and Audeze hit top mark for me sound/comfort wise! 

Will try to snap a pic as well.

Thanks for posting I may be in the market for a more comfortable pad,  the leather that came with the 500 was nice and comfy while the velour are stiff and dig in a tad at the base of my ears

the audeze looks interesting and a pic would be awesome as well as a description as to how the install works

Joe

Users who are viewing this thread

Back