HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
May 1, 2014 at 3:21 AM Post #13,472 of 20,386

These are 2 very different phones. The T90 has a large, wide soundstage and lots of treble (too much for me). I listened to the T90s before I bought my T1s and found them too hot to be enjoyable. I'd say the HE-500s are closer to the T1s / DT880s and I think the HE-500s are a more enjoyable headphone than T90s, but perhaps not as exciting when the T90s hit a sweet spot.

I think the T1 has a lot more treble than then HE-500. 

May 1, 2014 at 5:06 AM Post #13,473 of 20,386
  I think the T1 has a lot more treble than then HE-500. 

You'd be surprised. Having them both here side-by-side I can tell you that the T1 has a little more energy in the treble spike, but the HE-500's treble is a little rougher sounding. The HE-500 is definitely less prone to fatigue, but if we're comparing HE-500s, T1s and T90s, the T1s and HE-500s are much closer to each other than they are to the the T90s.

May 1, 2014 at 5:18 AM Post #13,474 of 20,386

You'd be surprised. Having them both here side-by-side I can tell you that the T1 has a little more energy in the treble spike, but the HE-500's treble is a little rougher sounding. The HE-500 is definitely less prone to fatigue, but if we're comparing HE-500s, T1s and T90s, the T1s and HE-500s are much closer to each other than they are to the the T90s.

Well, all I can say is that those T-90's are most def. not for me in this case.  I owned the DT-880's and didn't like their treble, ditto for the T1 which I never owned but auditioned (am sure they're great headphones but I just couldn't get over the BD sound sig.).  To my recollection they're nothing like the HE-500 treble at all, BD is much more 'in your face' with the treble.  Although I agree that there's a range where the HE-500 can be, not aggressive  but a bit too forward at times.  Strangely enough not with all kinds of music,  with some treble  frequencies I occasionally have the impression that it starts resonating somehow...hard to explain...perhaps I'm just imagining stuff.

May 1, 2014 at 5:32 AM Post #13,475 of 20,386
  Well, all I can say is that those T-90's are most def. not for me in this case.  I owned the DT-880's and didn't like their treble, ditto for the T1 which I never owned but auditioned (am sure they're great headphones but I just couldn't get over the BD sound sig.).  To my recollection they're nothing like the HE-500 treble at all, BD is much more 'in your face' with the treble.  Although I agree that there's a range where the HE-500 can be, not aggressive  but a bit too forward at times.  Strangely enough not with all kinds of music,  with some treble  frequencies I occasionally have the impression that it starts resonating somehow...hard to explain...perhaps I'm just imagining stuff.

Thanks to everyone for the excellent and thoughtful comments. This is a really great forum. You can "hear the love".

May 1, 2014 at 5:57 PM Post #13,478 of 20,386
Interesting how different all the measurements are (also in the bass).

I've been using the 500s with no cloth behind the grille. Having replaced the cloth last night, I'd agree with the T1s having significantly more treble. Apologies I didn't clarify the fact I was using them without damping.

Finally, in reference to the original question, the T90s are still way hotter than the T1s and HE-500s. If T1s are at 5, 500s are a 1-2 and T90s are a 9-10.

May 1, 2014 at 8:02 PM Post #13,479 of 20,386
Interesting how different all the measurements are (also in the bass).

I've been using the 500s with no cloth behind the grille. Having replaced the cloth last night, I'd agree with the T1s having significantly more treble. Apologies I didn't clarify the fact I was using them without damping.

Finally, in reference to the original question, the T90s are still way hotter than the T1s and HE-500s. If T1s are at 5, 500s are a 1-2 and T90s are a 9-10.

Different methodology, equipment, averaging, sample variation....and anyway some important factors can't be measured this way.  Take a look at high quality headphones made to exacting tolerances like the HD-800 and compare their frequency charts:  those are measured using the exact same method, equipment., very strict manufacturing tolerances, exact same model cans....and even there you have variations (though keeping in mind that depending on the SPL and frequency a 1dB variation is the minimum threshold for the human ear to detect a difference I think many people are making too much out of it, see the thread in question).  

Anyway, one's ears are the ultimate judge  when all's said and done.  I respect the people at inner fidelity but the information they seemingly pull out of a 300 Hz square wave comparison and present with total conviction ...nahhhh....might as well butcher a goat at midnight, light a candle and study the entrails imo.  

Anyway, the sun's rising here, gonna be another scorcher and I've a day off so think I'll first whip up some breakfast, then jump on my motorcycle and go riding.

May 1, 2014 at 9:06 PM Post #13,480 of 20,386
Have a good ride!

Completely agree about measurements. They sometimes help to illustrate a point, but don't provide the full picture. Case in point is the T1 vs HE-500 treble. No doubt the T1s have more, but it's not as extreme sounding as the graphs can suggest. I think that's mostly due to the fact that T1s also have a higher bass level than the HE-500s which are flatter sounding in the bass (no mid bass hump).

May 2, 2014 at 11:16 AM Post #13,483 of 20,386

I have both the T1 and the 500 and find them to be seductive.  I am using a tube amp
"Glenn OTL" for my T1's and there is no sign of high end problems. The T1's are different
in that they have a larger soundstage and are more transparent. I have yet to define what
it is about the 500's that is so inviting. Thanks

May 2, 2014 at 6:21 PM Post #13,484 of 20,386

I have both the T1 and the 500 and find them to be seductive.  I am using a tube amp
"Glenn OTL" for my T1's and there is no sign of high end problems. The T1's are different
in that they have a larger soundstage and are more transparent. I have yet to define what
it is about the 500's that is so inviting. Thanks

Nicely put and exactly my experience!

May 2, 2014 at 8:41 PM Post #13,485 of 20,386
Page 900 by the way 
biggrin.gif

HE-500 has now become part of my bed rig, does that really well, very very smooth and coherent sound with my tube hybrid.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back