HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Mar 17, 2014 at 11:50 AM Post #13,051 of 20,386

I've been playing with test tones on sinegen and I found out that the problem is my ears. I have "hearing imbalance" issues. I'd rather it was my equipment
frown.gif

Does anyone know how to fix it?
biggrin.gif
frown.gif

Tried clearing out your ear canals with hydrogen peroxide / earpick?

Mar 17, 2014 at 12:01 PM Post #13,052 of 20,386
  Tried clearing out your ear canals with hydrogen peroxide / earpick?

Not yet. I'll try it out and see if it works.

By the way, I'm wondering, could wind noise from a ventilator cause hearing loss? I have a ventilator here in my room that's always on to my right and stays pointed to my head. Maybe that's what is impacting my hearing?

Mar 17, 2014 at 1:12 PM Post #13,053 of 20,386

Not yet. I'll try it out and see if it works.

By the way, I'm wondering, could wind noise from a ventilator cause hearing loss? I have a ventilator here in my room that's always on to my right and stays pointed to my head. Maybe that's what is impacting my hearing?

It won't cause hearing loss if the decibels aren't too high, I doubt it is otherwise how would you even tolerate listening to open headphones near it.

However if it is always on, even when you were testing SineGen, it may have affected the perceived channel / hearing balance. Try SineGen again but with the thing turned off.

Mar 17, 2014 at 1:23 PM Post #13,054 of 20,386
  It won't cause hearing loss if the decibels aren't too high, I doubt it is otherwise how would you even tolerate listening to open headphones near it.

However if it is always on, even when you were testing SineGen, it may have affected the perceived channel / hearing balance. Try SineGen again but with the thing turned off.

I turned it off to perform the test.

You're probably right. I doubt the wind from my ventilator has anything to do with this. I was just trying to figure out the cause and tossed the first thing that came to mind.

If it happens not to be earwax, I probably damaged it listening to music too loud. Oh well...

Mar 17, 2014 at 9:48 PM Post #13,055 of 20,386
Hey all, here with another album recommendation, this one gives a pretty impressive sound stage, more so than my other recordings of the same track, I highly recommend it, I was able to find it at Fry's for $3 in the classical section.

Dvorak New World Symphony(no.9) and Slavonic Dances, Bratislava Radio Symphony Orchestra. Incidentally I like this version much more than it's near sister version recorded in the same space by the Slovak Philharmonic, and the mastering is superior still to my previous favorite recording by the Berlin Philharmonic, though I still very much enjoy that version. As it pertains to this recording, the sound stage is immense in depth and nearly there in width, I think the space was quite large, reverberations are clearly recorded, the instrument separation is the best of any of my classical recordings, it's truly a marvel, I want to shake the hand of whoever the sound engineer was responsible for this piece.

As far as the music, Dvorak no. 9 is constantly a treat provided they don't play it unnecessarily melodic, like a symphony who I won't mention(Houston), here the melody is tempered with aggression when the piece calls for it, it carries the weight and power that, at least in my opinion, it should have. Cheers.

Edit: Keep in mind you are going to want a pretty strong amp here, I'm just getting to comfortable listening levels at 12" on the MJ.

Mar 17, 2014 at 11:05 PM Post #13,056 of 20,386
  Hey all, here with another album recommendation, this one gives a pretty impressive sound stage, more so than my other recordings of the same track, I highly recommend it, I was able to find it at Fry's for $3 in the classical section.

Dvorak New World Symphony(no.9) and Slavonic Dances, Bratislava Radio Symphony Orchestra. Incidentally I like this version much more than it's near sister version recorded in the same space by the Slovak Philharmonic, and the mastering is superior still to my previous favorite recording by the Berlin Philharmonic, though I still very much enjoy that version. As it pertains to this recording, the sound stage is immense in depth and nearly there in width, I think the space was quite large, reverberations are clearly recorded, the instrument separation is the best of any of my classical recordings, it's truly a marvel, I want to shake the hand of whoever the sound engineer was responsible for this piece.

As far as the music, Dvorak no. 9 is constantly a treat provided they don't play it unnecessarily melodic, like a symphony who I won't mention(Houston), here the melody is tempered with aggression when the piece calls for it, it carries the weight and power that, at least in my opinion, it should have. Cheers.

Edit: Keep in mind you are going to want a pretty strong amp here, I'm just getting to comfortable listening levels at 12" on the MJ.

am looking for it now..thanks! looks like the right music for my new amp... thanks!

Mar 18, 2014 at 12:29 AM Post #13,057 of 20,386
I'm mostly an electronic guy, but there are few albums that are just so good. I just have to suggest this one:

It's well produced and sounds like music. Both music & audiophiles can enjoy this one.
wink.gif

Mar 18, 2014 at 10:08 AM Post #13,058 of 20,386
so i've heard the abyss and the he6 smokes it in large out of head soundstage.  the abyss almost sounds more like speakers the way it produces a stereo image but it's not a bad thing. 
the biggest difference is how absolutely real life the abyss sounds. scary real actually.
I've never heard stats before but i imagine thats what the hype is all about.  Is that something any of you guys prefer or do you like
a headphone that gives emotion to any recording?
I personally felt the best thing to listen out of the abyss was orchestral and jazz.
The reason why is because its every day i can hear good vocals or bass, whether it be a smooth headphone or very transparent, but
it takes an amazing headphone to be able to produce the large spectrum that is treble and make them sound truly real life. There's so many instruments
that base themselves or dig into the treble region and i think good highs are underrated sometimes.
I didn't get to hear the he6 for too long but it seemed to have just great frequency extension in the highs without many dips and sounded close to the abyss
very impressive.
im hoping the 560 will continue this great attribute

Mar 18, 2014 at 10:50 AM Post #13,059 of 20,386
Actually, according to measurements, the Abyss has a lot of dips and peaks on the mid-treble/low treble region: not very smooth. But the subjective impressions is that it is not that grainy or harsh in the treble and does have a very open sounding(atleast the ones I've read). Very interesting.

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/JPSLabsAbyssAB1266.pdf

Mar 18, 2014 at 1:11 PM Post #13,060 of 20,386
Stats are known for the exceptional and true to life treble performance. IMO pretty much any headphone sound unreal, tinny, harsh, flat, lacking in dimension or something like that compared to what a good stat can produce in the treble region. Of course there'll likely be many exceptions to the rule, both with stats and non-stats.

Mar 18, 2014 at 6:30 PM Post #13,061 of 20,386
Recently took the modded alpha pads that I stuffed with cotton and cut off the slits covering the pad ring holes.

It's one of the step in the Jergpads mod, the mod that makes the pads slip off easily; and as it turns out, the flaps cause boosts at 3.5k and 5k (Vibrations? Damping?); which tend to throw off treble resolution and overall tonality. With the slips off, the treble feels much more resolved, and displays better tonality. Vocals sound a lot farther back, and display much less aggressiveness. 3,500 Hz is where we would experience harshness in brass instruments and vocals. I'm also getting much better air and slight boosts at 7K; no sibilance though.

Always getting better

Mar 18, 2014 at 8:26 PM Post #13,062 of 20,386
I'm honestly really curious about the Jerg pads in comparison to the Lawtons I currently have, Jerg, care to weigh in on this? Were you ever able to compare the two/measure them? I never really noticed a difference switching to them from old stock velours(plastic ring) but they are much comfier and provide a better seal behind my ear. I still really need to finish fabricating a velour set myself, may try to put damping holes into it like the Jergpads.

Mar 18, 2014 at 9:58 PM Post #13,063 of 20,386
I'm pretty sure I'm going to hack up my Brainwavz pads jerg style, and hopefully cover them with velour, if I can find something suitably soft at a local store.  They're quite bright, and I'm think cutting holes on both sides might resolve that glare.

Mar 19, 2014 at 2:21 PM Post #13,064 of 20,386
Can anyone comment on using the HE-500 with the Fiio E17/E09K combo? 

I already have the E17; if adding the E09K would be sufficient *for now*, it would be great to hold me over until I can get something more appropriate for the 500s.

Mar 19, 2014 at 5:15 PM Post #13,065 of 20,386
It'll do, power wise. I still have that combo lying around, not a big fan but if it's to tide you over until you get a different dac/amp then it mqkes sense, especially if you already have the 17. Look for a used one, you xan get them for very little money. Enjoy the 500!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back