HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Mar 10, 2014 at 3:35 PM Post #12,976 of 20,386
HE500 + Lyr = peanut butter and jelly.

Or maybe a Reeses cup. Definitely one of those two.
smile.gif

beerchug.gif

Mar 10, 2014 at 9:20 PM Post #12,977 of 20,386
Holy cow, I land in the hospital and miss the arrival of hifi's Blue Circle. Been incarcerated since Friday on an IV.
I should be going home tomorrow and expect to hear many tales about  Blue Circles and a happy HiFi.

Mar 10, 2014 at 9:29 PM Post #12,978 of 20,386
Get well soon, hope they kick you out of there today! No blue circle here but I ordered a diy F5 clone and am on the hunt for a transparent dac and passive preamp. Enjoying Japan and all those Japanese high end brands are a crapaton cheaper here, pity they're not on 220V as in Europe.

Mar 10, 2014 at 9:34 PM Post #12,979 of 20,386
Holy cow, I land in the hospital and miss the arrival of hifi's Blue Circle. Been incarcerated since Friday on an IV.
I should be going home tomorrow and expect to hear many tales about  Blue Circles and a happy HiFi.

Allthough i have been quiet lately here since the arrival,i still wanted to wish u well my friend!

..is everything okay now?..hope u get out tomorrow and healthy.

About my blue circle.. Well Lets say i saw the light audio wise...and my living room smells after stinky feet because of the amount of syllicone gilbert used on and in my rig but according to other bc owners that smell fades away in 2 weeks or so..(check the pics and u will see what i mean). I wont say anything else as i will be opening up a dedicated thread bout my rig this weekend..so everyone interested can ask what they want.. And hear about my first impressions now it has around 120hours on it... Still long way to go until burned in...at least full 1 month i understand.. :p

So buddy..get well soon..and stop chasing all those sexy nurses.. :D

And now i go back into the obscurity of LaLa land :wink:

Hifi out

Mar 11, 2014 at 1:07 AM Post #12,980 of 20,386

Don't go phantom on us.  Hope you'll get well soon.  This thread is boring without you and hifimanrookie around.  
biggrin.gif

Mar 11, 2014 at 10:58 PM Post #12,983 of 20,386
  New setup for the HE-500... So far I'm insanely impressed. Hardly end game, but amazing for what I've spent (gear in sig).

wow nice Ember!   does it have the superCharger module?
curious what tube(s) you may have tried so far, and if your "previous Ton of Schiit" was ever a Lyr before with HE-500s?

I'm still in the Ember decision path to replace a previous Lyr, as Ember would likely be my end (besides tube rolls).
tempted into trying some 12AT long plate tubes perhaps...
cheers!

Mar 11, 2014 at 11:03 PM Post #12,984 of 20,386
1.) Is supercharged.
2.) Had the Lyr and rolled a schiit ton of tubes with it. BUT it was long before the HE-500. It ran my LCD2.2, HE-400, D2000, Sig Pros (with 1st gen USB Bifrost)
3.) I have not rolled any tubes yet with the Ember... Still learning researching 12 vs 6 etc, but I didn't add on the supercharged option for nothing! Will be rolling soon.

Oh, FWIW... I personally feel the Ember is better than the Lyr. I haven't done any A/B testing, just how I feel at the moment. This powers the HE-500 without breaking a sweat.

Mar 11, 2014 at 11:21 PM Post #12,985 of 20,386
TooPoor,

thanks for the info, please add to Ember tube rolling thread when you pursue the others!
the fact Ember has a single tube (for me) is a bonus as it will save tube $ without worrying about matched pairs.

I've heard tale the Ember has a blacker background (which I can believe), and some better bass separation and overall clarity than Lyr as well.

Ember + Supercharger seems so affordable might be a crime NOT to try it with HE-500.

of course if HE-560 doesn't need as much power.... well, not sure what to do then.  ha!

edit:  scratch that, remembered that Ember is very customizable in terms of gain AND resistance, so if HE-560 needs (sounds better) with less power-
then, just dial down the Ember power.  genius.

Mar 11, 2014 at 11:33 PM Post #12,986 of 20,386
 I forgot to mention that even with shipping + supercharge option, it's still cheaper than the Lyr. And the one tube will definitely be great. Agree 100% about finding matching tubes (or having to pay a premium for them). The Ember is great with my IEMs as well... but that's for the Project Ember thread
smily_headphones1.gif
. I'll probably get the 560's to compare them to the 500's. Hoping I like one more than the other so I don't end up with a situation like in my profile pic (HD800, LCD2.2, Sig Pros at once).

Mar 13, 2014 at 1:26 PM Post #12,987 of 20,386
A bit oftopic but so funny..especially the last part..virgins..lolz

http://www.tnt-audio.com/clinica/intere.html

And yeah..am still listening to my ampie..sound is smoothing out more and more and opening up more and more! But What..is there a hidden tube in it somewhere, as the warmth i hear in voices cant be coming from a Opamp based SS amp..NO way!! Its unnatural..completely against all known rules of amp'ism..i will open up the amp again to check if Gil-Butt sneeked in a little tube somewhere without saying..the sneaky evil basterd.. :D

Mar 13, 2014 at 3:10 PM Post #12,988 of 20,386
Not really an impression, as I've never had the chance to try them, but I got a question:

Are they really that power-hungry and tough to drive properly? Would be good to know if I happen to decide to switch sometime in the future.

Mar 13, 2014 at 3:14 PM Post #12,989 of 20,386
Not really an impression, as I've never had the chance to try them, but I got a question:

Are they really that power-hungry and tough to drive properly? Would be good to know if I happen to decide to switch sometime in the future.

Around 1w into 32ohm minimum would be best..but better invest in quality power then in cheap raw HUGE power..as the he500 improves bigtime with better quality amping..in my personal experience.

Mar 13, 2014 at 4:45 PM Post #12,990 of 20,386
+1, HE-500 are driven well with a reasonably powerful headphone amp, much easier than the He-6. 1 W in 32 ohm looks like the minimum requirement to me though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back