HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Feb 6, 2014 at 6:51 AM Post #11,701 of 20,386
Or just smoke some weed :)

Feb 6, 2014 at 7:35 AM Post #11,702 of 20,386
Or just smoke some weed
smily_headphones1.gif

beerchug.gif

Feb 6, 2014 at 11:35 AM Post #11,703 of 20,386
  Music, tv and other noise 24/7 is not good for your health.. Just saying. 

Quiet noninvasive music (ocean sounds, or maybe some piano or something) is quite okay for good sleep.

Your brain blocks out all ambient external noises as soon as you fall asleep so quiet repetitive music will not actually impact the sleep quality.

On the other hand if you are having trouble FALLING asleep (maybe too many thoughts in the mind, or a medical condition like tinnitus) then light music will help in distracting the brain sensory just enough to drift to sleep.

Feb 6, 2014 at 12:30 PM Post #11,705 of 20,386
Now THERE is the sensible option! F @ # K pills! Other than Melatonin (which is a nature route though should be used in moderation).
Is there a reason why your profile pic is mushrooms? :p

Yeah man, helps put people to sleep real well if you get indica :)
Also helps to pass time, like right now lol

Feb 6, 2014 at 3:23 PM Post #11,707 of 20,386
  Quiet noninvasive music (ocean sounds, or maybe some piano or something) is quite okay for good sleep.

Your brain blocks out all ambient external noises as soon as you fall asleep so quiet repetitive music will not actually impact the sleep quality.

On the other hand if you are having trouble FALLING asleep (maybe too many thoughts in the mind, or a medical condition like tinnitus) then light music will help in distracting the brain sensory just enough to drift to sleep.

Jerg just nailed this.

I have had moderate tinnitus all of my life. In order to fall asleep, I must first concentrate on the sound of a small fan in the bedroom. FWIW, sleeping and listening to headphones at a medium-low volume is pretty much the only time that I'm unable to hear my ears ringing. That's what brought me to Head-Fi a few years ago. 
smile.gif

Ok, back on topic.  Last night I swapped out the HE-500 velour pads for the stock Denon pads. What a difference...and not all good. Even with the angled pads, soundstage decreased, probably due to the thin Denon pads putting the drivers closer to your ears. I really need to try some Jerg pads...or maybe the new HE-560 pads will be available for sale soon.

Feb 6, 2014 at 3:26 PM Post #11,708 of 20,386
The denon pads also partially block the drivers on the sides (they have oval openings)

Feb 6, 2014 at 3:26 PM Post #11,709 of 20,386
Did a A/B between Lyr & Meier Classic using HE 500, source was Audio GD NFB 7 with Mac Mini running Pure Music & Wav files. IMHO the Meier Classic is better than the Lyr for driving the HE 500. Better dynamics (more fun, exciting to listen to) & slightly bigger sound stage. I was keeping the Lyr around only for the HE 500, looks like might not be needing it anymore.

Feb 6, 2014 at 3:55 PM Post #11,710 of 20,386
On Sleeping with Headphones:

OK, I've been meaning to ask this to fellow Head-Fi'ers for a while now.

Like many folks, I absolutely love listening to music as I'm drifting off. But...

Were you aware that the human body discards a lot of dead skin all day long? It's a natural part of the body's regeneration process. 

Because you're stationary when you sleep, a lot of it ends up in and around your bed: mattresses, bed sheets, pillow cases, and other bed clothes. A LOT of it.

I'm not trying to be alarmist since I like to listen to headphones in bed, too. But, wow, is it surprising how much is in your bed.

When my girlfriend and I first got our Dyson canister vacuum cleaner, one of the first things we did was to vacuum the bed and mattress. Holy moly. What was inside the canister looked like snow drifts. Not joking. We were stunned. It was primarily dead skin flecks. I understand this is a normal thing.

Now we had never vacuumed the bed like that before, so there was a lot of it, but subsequent vacuuming kept pulling up a lot of dead skin flakes. For the curious, you can google it, and I'm sure there's some videos on YouTube.

Since then I have been very wary of using any sort of expensive headphone as my bedside cans. Seeing what gets deposited in bed makes me afraid of what will end up inside the headphones - as far as I know, there is no easy way to dust off or clean the diaphrams of drivers of headphones. And I'm wary of getting skin flakes into my expensive cans.

Do any of you worry about this or have negative experiences associated with it? I'm almost certain that if there is a degradation in sound because of this type of buildup, one would not hear it immediately.

Anyhow, I started to use some JVC-S400 or S680 that I bought specifically as bedside phones.

I'm actually very hesitant to use my HE-500, HE-400, HD600, Q701, etc for fear they'd get clogged up with skin flakes. But that's just me.

Anyone have advice or thoughts on this?

Thanks

Feb 6, 2014 at 5:07 PM Post #11,712 of 20,386
I primarily use my headphones in bed, and all I can say is that they are not loaded with skin flakes... It's not like I'm rubbing them all over the pillows and sheets.

+1 i agree.. But just to be on the safe side i always brushed my hair well before i always put the phone on my head..and i always checked the pads for hair etc and cleaned it off...but most of the times it was pretty clean..and i used it daily for ate least 3 hours a day..BUT NEVER IN BED..bedroom is a no go until now for music or tv...

Feb 6, 2014 at 5:37 PM Post #11,714 of 20,386
  On Sleeping with Headphones:

OK, I've been meaning to ask this to fellow Head-Fi'ers for a while now.

Like many folks, I absolutely love listening to music as I'm drifting off. But...

Were you aware that the human body discards a lot of dead skin all day long? It's a natural part of the body's regeneration process. 

Because you're stationary when you sleep, a lot of it ends up in and around your bed: mattresses, bed sheets, pillow cases, and other bed clothes. A LOT of it.

I'm not trying to be alarmist since I like to listen to headphones in bed, too. But, wow, is it surprising how much is in your bed.

When my girlfriend and I first got our Dyson canister vacuum cleaner, one of the first things we did was to vacuum the bed and mattress. Holy moly. What was inside the canister looked like snow drifts. Not joking. We were stunned. It was primarily dead skin flecks. I understand this is a normal thing.

Now we had never vacuumed the bed like that before, so there was a lot of it, but subsequent vacuuming kept pulling up a lot of dead skin flakes. For the curious, you can google it, and I'm sure there's some videos on YouTube.

Since then I have been very wary of using any sort of expensive headphone as my bedside cans. Seeing what gets deposited in bed makes me afraid of what will end up inside the headphones - as far as I know, there is no easy way to dust off or clean the diaphrams of drivers of headphones. And I'm wary of getting skin flakes into my expensive cans.

Do any of you worry about this or have negative experiences associated with it? I'm almost certain that if there is a degradation in sound because of this type of buildup, one would not hear it immediately.

Anyhow, I started to use some JVC-S400 or S680 that I bought specifically as bedside phones.

I'm actually very hesitant to use my HE-500, HE-400, HD600, Q701, etc for fear they'd get clogged up with skin flakes. But that's just me.

Anyone have advice or thoughts on this?

Thanks

No offence but that's taking it one or two steps too far. Just enjoy the music and don't focus on weird stuff like that 
tongue.gif

Feb 6, 2014 at 6:39 PM Post #11,715 of 20,386
Did a A/B between Lyr & Meier Classic using HE 500, source was Audio GD NFB 7 with Mac Mini running Pure Music & Wav files. IMHO the Meier Classic is better than the Lyr for driving the HE 500. Better dynamics (more fun, exciting to listen to) & slightly bigger sound stage. I was keeping the Lyr around only for the HE 500, looks like might not be needing it anymore.
I have no experience with the Meier Classic so can't comment on it's performance with the HE500's compared to the Lyr. Although if the tubes in the Lyr are Orange Globes, then the Lyr is capable of more. Then again, if you're happy with the Meier Classic, maybe it's not worth the extra $ for more Lyr tubes. Could be the Meier outperforms the Lyr even with holy grail tubes, which the OG's are not. Sorry-this isn't the right thread for this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back