HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Jan 8, 2014 at 7:20 PM Post #10,861 of 20,386
I know you guys are all extremely excited about the 560.. But I just ordered the 500's and was wondering if my amp was enough.

I have the Audinst HUD-mx2, which can supposedly output 1.5W @ 32ohm, which is a little more than what Audeze recommends with their LCD2's. Should I be fine?

Jan 8, 2014 at 7:32 PM Post #10,862 of 20,386
  I know you guys are all extremely excited about the 560.. But I just ordered the 500's and was wondering if my amp was enough.

I have the Audinst HUD-mx2, which can supposedly output 1.5W @ 32ohm, which is a little more than what Audeze recommends with their LCD2's. Should I be fine?

It's a SS amp.  I think it would be just fine.  Enjoy!
beerchug.gif

Jan 8, 2014 at 8:13 PM Post #10,863 of 20,386
  Do you think getting Bifrost instead of HDP would be a good idea ? Anybody have Bifrost  Lyr/EF-5 combo?

I did it. I personally just did it because the form factor of the HDP is a little awkward once you start stacking. Objectively, the HDP is a solid DAC at this point in time. I read they improved it, the power figures are still the same though.

With HE-500 I'd have to run the knob 3/4 of the way to get a desirable volume but at that point it was getting really lean in the signature which told me I didn't have enough current. It was bright and tinny with HE-5LE which Sixmoons said it worked fine with. HE-5LE is a little on the brighter side, but not like what I was hearing.

Jan 8, 2014 at 11:05 PM Post #10,864 of 20,386
  There's "comfortable", and then there's "super ergonomic can't-even-feel-it comfortable"; AFAIK properly-executed suspension headband is the best in that regard. Notice how the the top modded T50RPs all use it (MrSpeakers' products, also LFF's Paradox), STAX uses it, Abyss uses it, top Sony cans use it, list goes on. There is nothing that distributes weight more evenly than a good wide suspension strap.

beerchug.gif

Ergonomics are important - Stax got it right as their headphones just disappear when you put them on, then again they don't have to worry about heavy magnets with their estat drivers.  I like this approach.  I will say that adding a wide suspension strap to the HE-500 headband definitely improved overall comfort for me, and much better weight distribution.  I must have a pointy head or something, as I would always get one pressure point after about an hour without it.  Also, better weight distribution = lighter overall feel IMO...add that to a lighter driver and nice pads, and you will have one hell of a comfy headphone.  It certainly appears Dr. Fang was listening to the community with this new design...who cares what it looks like, it's full of innovation in the HE series.  Here's to hoping they sound as good as their current lineup offerings if not better - some signature variety would be appealing too.

Jan 8, 2014 at 11:14 PM Post #10,865 of 20,386
Georgo94,

Have you looked at buying a 2nd hand V200? Small and pairs well with the he500. I know it's stretching your budget but worth it if you wanna drive the he500 well and save space. There's also G109 by Lake people and A18 by Yulong.

Jan 8, 2014 at 11:18 PM Post #10,866 of 20,386
Georgo94,

Have you looked at buying a 2nd hand V200? Small and pairs well with the he500. I know it's stretching your budget but worth it if you wanna drive the he500 well and save space. There's also G109 by Lake people and A18 by Yulong.

and then there's the not so small but cheap Emotiva Mini-X that will drive the heck out of the HE500 and sounds great doing it. 
wink.gif

Jan 9, 2014 at 12:08 AM Post #10,867 of 20,386

To hell with comfort.  Make my headphone need a power plant to drive them if the SQ is increased.  The more work you put in them the better the results you get out of them..

Just saying..

Comfort and sound go hand in hand. If I feel like there's nails digging into my skull, then I'll throw them in the trash, even if they sound better than a SR-009.

The more money you put into it, the less it rewards you. *cough* Diminishing Returns and hyperbole* cough..

JUST KIDDING, not going to start that argument again. 
biggrin.gif

beerchug.gif

Jan 9, 2014 at 1:22 AM Post #10,868 of 20,386
Yep, I'm also not sure whats up with the comfort issue. I find the HE-500 pretty comfortable, I only had a bit of an issue with the weight initially. Those suspension setups look ghastly, I wouldn't want to be seen in public with the HE-500, but the HE-560 would send me to the empty cupboard to avoid detection! Lighter headphones typically need to clamp harder, else they fall off your head all too easy. I remember the HD580 being very comfortable, but didn't like the clamping force much. This was perhaps the only thing I liked about the HD595 where they struck a nice balance, but the cheap and plasticky thing started cracking up within 6 months of owning it... 
mad.gif

I suspect these products will continue side by side. The more I think about it the more I reckon these headphones are intended to replace and expand the old HE-4 line and like Hifimanrookie, I am interested to see what the sound improvements are like and what is different this time round that places it above the HE-500? A lot of the folks here like the HE-4 for its more open sound. If they are lower weight and easier to drive and retain their open sound I can see them becoming quite popular (if you can get over the looks)...

Jan 9, 2014 at 2:42 AM Post #10,869 of 20,386
I predict these new models will sound more open and perhaps airy, yet more peaky in treble and grado-ish like the HE-4. We'll see, but I doubt they'll have as smooth a treble as HE-500.

Jan 9, 2014 at 3:45 AM Post #10,870 of 20,386
I honestly don't want any more treble than the HE-500. It has the perfect amount for me. If the new models have more treble I'll just stick with my HE-500. Silky smooth treble... just so silky. love it to death! One area the LCD-2 can't touch.

Jan 9, 2014 at 4:07 AM Post #10,871 of 20,386
  I honestly don't want any more treble than the HE-500. It has the perfect amount for me. If the new models have more treble I'll just stick with my HE-500. Silky smooth treble... just so silky. love it to death! One area the LCD-2 can't touch.

Agreed.
Treble that can best HE-500 is pretty far apart. I like 'stat treble even more, though.

Jan 9, 2014 at 6:41 AM Post #10,873 of 20,386
Jan 9, 2014 at 10:17 AM Post #10,875 of 20,386
Cant believe i am saying this..as its the first for me to be skeptical about a new product from hifiman...yes i am also a bit afraid that its not an improved he500. :xf_eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back