HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Jan 4, 2014 at 1:11 PM Post #10,591 of 20,386
IMO LCD-2 eats up a lot of power. The rig I built for the HE-500 actually benefits the LCD-2 as well. Which was kind of unexpected and surprising. I think when people say the LCD-2 is easy to drive. What is happening is that it's easy to get the LCD-2 to sound "okay" or "good". On speaker amps the LCD-2 sounds better. There is just a ease and finesse about it. No matter how complex the passage of music it doesn't feel like it's running out of steam but punches hard and fast through all the details. There is no strain. As for volume matching, it's very close to the HE-500, almost the same depending on the amp.

I think the same principle applies to the HE-500. It's pretty easy to get them to sound good. But for them to shine or get optimal it takes a little more.

Jan 4, 2014 at 2:12 PM Post #10,592 of 20,386
I've been saying for a while the HE-500 only needs about 150mw to sound decent. I wouldn't bash such power in an entry level setup. I got a lot of enjoyment from such an amp when I first got my HE-500. I preferred my low power amp to one of the more popular 1W amps around here.

Jan 4, 2014 at 2:17 PM Post #10,593 of 20,386
Thanks very much for your comments everyone. They were much more helpful and positive than the whining in my OP deserved.

Now for the mea culpa. 300-odd quids-worth of German engineering (Lake People G109S) arrived yesterday and it's made quite a difference to the sound. The bass is now much more like how I was expecting it to sound, based on what I'd read - "I can see clearly" by Holly Cole now sounds pretty jaw-dropping. So perhaps it's the listener rather than the 'phones that needs returning for a refund.

I think I'd decided that that amps I'd got would 'work' with the 500s - they all drive them plenty loud enough, after all. So, once I heard the 500s connected to them, I wouldn't/couldn't accept that being able to drive the 'phones didn't equal being able to make the 'phones sound good. Hence the meltdown the other day.

Compared to my HD600s (newly fettled by Senn UK), I do think the HE-500s are basically subjectively better. If I had to choose, I'd go for the HE-500s. Probably.

That said, The treble is still a bit too shrill/sibilant/'hot' and there is still what feels like an unnatural metallic edge to it on occasion, particularly with female vocals. The Georgia Ruth track sounds a hell of a lot better than before, but the treble? The treble is still not as 'sweet' as I think I've heard it before.

Hmm. If I was less cack-handed, would the jergpad mod would be worth trying?

(Oh, and I still loathe the stock cables. Any kind of impact on them is audible, so if I keep the 500s, they're going to have to go. Or is there a cheap mod/bit of DIY I can do to reduce that?)

Jan 4, 2014 at 2:21 PM Post #10,594 of 20,386
  I've been saying for a while the HE-500 only needs about 150mw to sound decent. I wouldn't bash such power in an entry level setup. I got a lot of enjoyment from such an amp when I first got my HE-500. I preferred my low power amp to one of the more popular 1W amps around here.

Hell yeah!  Even my little Fiio E17 DAC/Amp on high gain did a decent job and was very enjoyable.  Then I got the Fiio E09K; pretty good improvement.  Finally, I hated M-13's hype so much that I bought the Emotiva just to find out for myself what the fuss was about.  
biggrin.gif

Let's just say the rest is history....

Jan 4, 2014 at 2:24 PM Post #10,595 of 20,386
A sleeve will reduce the cable noise.

Have you tried just changing the pads for the he-500? What are you now using?

Jan 4, 2014 at 2:27 PM Post #10,596 of 20,386
A sleeve will reduce the cable noise.

Have you tried just changing the pads for the he-500? What are you now using?

Only solution for what he said about sound..get the modulor pads..they make the sound more balanced and ..using jerg words...more towards the neutral side...
They are worth every penny!!! Any owner of a modulor pad will tell u that. :p

Jan 4, 2014 at 2:37 PM Post #10,597 of 20,386

That said, The treble is still a bit too shrill/sibilant/'hot' and there is still what feels like an unnatural metallic edge to it on occasion, particularly with female vocals. The Georgia Ruth track sounds a hell of a lot better than before, but the treble? The treble is still not as 'sweet' as I think I've heard it before.

Hmm. If I was less cack-handed, would the jergpad mod would be worth trying?

(Oh, and I still loathe the stock cables. Any kind of impact on them is audible, so if I keep the 500s, they're going to have to go. Or is there a cheap mod/bit of DIY I can do to reduce that?)

You just answered your own question!  :)  Jergpad and let the HE500 settle down a bit in your setup.  IMO, your ears will also adapt/adjust a little too.  The HE500 could be treble centric when driven by lower power HP amps.  When I use my cheapo Fiio E17/E09K, they are decent at driving the HE500 to volume and provide enjoyable SQ but the treble does stick out more.  When the HE500 is driven from a speaker amp, this symptom disappears.

About the stock cable, I cut it at the "Y", sleeve it, resolder everything back.

Jan 4, 2014 at 2:44 PM Post #10,598 of 20,386
Lookie lookie what i found for anyone wanting to make a cheap diy quality cable with high quality wire :D

This is a quote of frank of toxic cables (check his appreciation thread to find the whole post and more info) my brand to go for affordable high quality headphone cables concerned.

Quote:

Talking of R&D wires, i have some old OCC copper wires that i had made for testing, when i was designing some of my other wires.

For anyone wanting to build their own cables, i can do these wires for £0.50 per feet, compared to the usual £1.20 that i charge for my Scorpion wire. That's
60% cheaper. All OCC and Cryo treated.

End quote:

So if anyone is intertested in making his own cables affordable with the best affordable wires around..check that out.. Just trying to help out..

I would never ever try this..as i have two left hands..i am completely helpless with solder... :xf_eek: But for handy people...get the wires while u can.

Jan 4, 2014 at 2:49 PM Post #10,599 of 20,386
Question is... What gauge? Where did you quote from?

Jan 4, 2014 at 2:50 PM Post #10,600 of 20,386

+1

Me too. I really hate those cables. In fact I prefer the cables they include with the HE-400. After getting my BTG cables I was a lot happier.

Jan 4, 2014 at 3:20 PM Post #10,601 of 20,386
My Liquid Glass shipped today from Alex. Beyond excited.

Jan 4, 2014 at 3:22 PM Post #10,602 of 20,386
Jan 4, 2014 at 3:30 PM Post #10,603 of 20,386
I
Come to the meet tomorrow and bring it! :frowning2:

I wish I could! :frowning2: Regardless, I don't think it'll be here tomorrow anyway, Sunday. :wink: But, probably Tuesday or something like that. XD

Jan 4, 2014 at 3:32 PM Post #10,604 of 20,386
  My Liquid Glass shipped today from Alex. Beyond excited.

For which HPs?  
For HE500, liquid gold is the shiiiit. I was very impressed with the SQ and power that amp was feeding my HE500.  
Also, Alex = awesome, cool, friendly guy who is full of knowledge in this hobby.

Jan 4, 2014 at 3:32 PM Post #10,605 of 20,386
Question is... What gauge? Where did you quote from?

I quoted from this post..its the wire they use in their silver poison cable..if i am not mistaken :wink:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/609155/toxic-cables-the-appreciation-thread/5610#post_10129890

Users who are viewing this thread

Back