HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Dec 22, 2013 at 12:10 AM Post #10,006 of 20,386

I don't have HD600's only the HD650's and the HD800's. 

Yep, got the bifrost and then upgraded it later to the uber analog and USB boards.  I also got the Loki and Vali.  I now drive the HD800's and HE500's with the Asgard 2 serving as pre-amp to my Taboo MKIII.  The Vali is also very nice with the HD800 with or without eh Asgard 2 as Pre.  Have not done extensive listening with the HE500's yet.  I expect to do some over the break after my jergulor pads get here.

I meant HD800's my bad, typo.

Dec 22, 2013 at 12:20 AM Post #10,007 of 20,386
I don't think so.  On my Woo WA22, to drive the HE500, it's often pushing 12 o'clock.  

Thats weird... On my evil one i couldnt listen to it beyond 22:00 o'clock as it would become to loud! I tried it once on 0:00 and sound was crystal clear and bass was thumping deeply...(my wife listened to it on 23:00..she is a bit deaf i guess because of regular live concerts visits in the past) .but i couldnt listen to that kind of level..it was ear shattering almost..and volume could go up as far as 18:00!

But as i said before..i think people dont know how strong that amp really is (according to the owner of wooaudio the power of their amps get upped by around 10% when using strong tubes like 5998! And i was using those tubes in my amp)..1 watt into between 200-600ohm..i wonder how much that would be into 32ohm? Anyone knows? :D

The emotiva sounds so strong as its a speaker amp and has an 'abundant' of power and current.. If u get a better speakeramp it will sound even better.. OR GET A VERY GOOD (expensive) HEADPHONE AMP..

The emotiva must pump out around 6-8 watt into 32ohm right, as it does 50w into 8ohm?

As i said before..my new headphoneamp will pump out at least 5watt into 50ohm and will be operating in low-bias class AB (according to the builder) and totally based on opamps (as their TOTL speaker amp..the NSL) thats why it will be 20lbs and the external powersupply iwill be weighing 10lbs itself.. (For us europeans: around 14kg total...lolz) Power has to come somewhere i am guessing :wink:

OMG i quickly checked postage (based on weight and measurements) from the builder to my doorstep: more then 650usd!! And on top of that i need to pay 35% on taxes and custom fees over the actual price + the postage...OMG.. My wife will kill me!!! IT BETTER DELIVER!!!!!! OR ELSE!!!!! :D

By the way: Can anyone calculate how much power it will pump out by 32ohm? Am just curious :D

Dec 22, 2013 at 12:27 AM Post #10,008 of 20,386
I am currently using TS 5998 for power tubes.  Volume knob goes between 10:30 and 12 depending on tracks.
On the Emotiva, volume knob never passes 9 o'clock for me.

@hifimanrookie, I finally found the driver tubes i like.  Ken rad 6sn7 VT 231.  Very happy now.  I will probably try another rectifier next.

It sounds like your new amp will complete soon.  So exciting!!!

Dec 22, 2013 at 12:34 AM Post #10,009 of 20,386
Thats weird... On my evil one i couldnt listen to it beyond 22:00 o'clock as it would become to loud! I tried it once on 0:00 and sound was crystal clear and bass was thumping deeply...(my wife listened to it on 23:00..she is a bit deaf i guess because of regular live concerts visits in the past) .but i couldnt listen to that kind of level..it was ear shattering almost..and volume could go up as far as 18:00! But as i said before..i think people dont know how strong that amp really is (according to the owner of wooaudio the power of their amps get upped by around 10% when using strong tubes like 5998! And i was using those tubes in my amp)..1 watt into between 200-600ohm..i wonder how much that would be into 32ohm? Anyone knows?
biggrin.gif

The emotiva sounds so strong as its a speaker amp and has an 'abundant' of power and current.. If u get a better speakeramp it will sound even better.. OR GET A VERY GOOD (expensive) HEADPHONE AMP..

The emotiva must pump out around 6-8 watt into 32ohm right, as it does 50w into 8ohm?

As i said before..my new headphoneamp will pump out at least 5watt into 50ohm and will be operating in low-bias class AB (according to the builder) and totally based on opamps (as their TOTL speaker amp..the NSL) thats why it will be 20lbs and the external powersupply iwill be weighing 9lbs itself.. Power has to come somewhere i am guessing
wink.gif

OMG i quickly checked postage (based on weight and measurements) from the builder to my doorstep: more then 650usd!! And on top of that i need to pay 35% on taxes and custom fees over the actual price + the postage...OMG.. My wife will kill me!!! IT BETTER DELIVER!!!!!! OR ELSE!!!!!
biggrin.gif

By the way: Can anyone calculate how much power it will pump out by 32ohm? Am just curious
biggrin.gif

I don't know the exact numbers the Emotiva pumps out directly into the HE-500, but your 6-8W number can't be far off. I've compared it to how it sounds through the HE-Adapter which contains a series of resistors that attenuate the sound, but the output of power from the Emotiva becomes 2.65W. I could not tell the difference in sound between straight to Emotiva vs. HE-Adapter, other than the HE-Adapter reduces the noise floor especially when I have the Quickie plugged in. I think 2W is enough, but really all this bass slam we're hearing has more to do with the Emotiva itself, and really speaker amps in general. As someone pointed out in the Emotiva thread, it has large capacitors and transformers, much larger than ones in most headphone amps.
at least as far as how capacitors work, this would give a larger power reserve for times it need a some peak power. I imagine this is what makes the bass slam so well, as bass requires the most power. Most speaker amps have much larger caps and transformers compared to headphone amps. In gaming terms, this is like having a large mana pool and allowing you to pull off some crazy burst damage chains.

Dec 22, 2013 at 12:44 AM Post #10,010 of 20,386
I am currently using TS 5998 for power tubes.  Volume knob goes between 10:30 and 12 depending on tracks.
On the Emotiva, volume knob never passes 9 o'clock for me.

@hifimanrookie
, I finally found the driver tubes i like.  Ken rad 6sn7 VT 231.  Very happy now.  I will probably try another rectifier next.

It sounds like your new amp will complete soon.  So exciting!!!

Not yet..he actually started the built on the 6th...and as he only does one amp at a time (opamps remember?)... If i am not mistaken then the powersupply is done by now.. I asked him to sent me In proces pics..he promised me he would do that as soon he had something worthy to show (his words..lolz)

Its still scheduled to be finished around end of january... Sooo its getting closer and closer.. :wink: And in meantime my code-x's come in also (second week of january it will be ready at the latest).... Am already thinking in upgrading my headphone cable to the COPPER VENOM and my 2 (yes i need 2!) powercables to Black Sand Cables Violet Z1 MK2 beauties. :wink:
my hopes are skyhigh!!!!!! correction..universe high!! :D

Dec 22, 2013 at 12:53 AM Post #10,011 of 20,386
  Could be that some of the amps have a touch of Babbelas.

I suspect that had more to do with the whisky I was enjoying rather than the headphone amp! 
beerchug.gif
 The Lehmann is anything but cognac! 
biggrin.gif

Loudness is definitely relative... The guy who bought my Grado RS1i, demo'ed it on my Lehmann Black Cube Linear (10dB gain), turned the volume up to 3 o' clock on the volume dial, gave it a minute listen or so and said he was happy with the headphones.
basshead.gif
 I checked out the distortion figures on Grado headphones in that flagship comparison article. I do pity some people's ears and the hell their headphones are put through... FWIW, I never turned the dial above 12 o' clock with the HE-500.

Dec 22, 2013 at 5:23 AM Post #10,013 of 20,386
Is there something wrong with my Lyr if I have to push it past 12 o'clock mark? My hearing is fine BTW, just got checked out by an audiologist.

Hey there alexnova! If you don't mind me asking, what soyrce are you using? On my Lyr, it seems source dependent. Using the E17 as DAC or straight from my iDevices, I need to crank it up higher. From the bifrost and NAD, not as much.

Methinks textfeud is right, your Lyr is likely fine.

Dec 22, 2013 at 6:56 AM Post #10,016 of 20,386
A bit oftopic...but i saw that our fellow headfi'er dubstepgirl is selling most of her HUGE tube collection! This is a one in a lifetime chance guys..and its for a good cause..she needs it to buy a new car:) so be a sport and buy a pair..u wont regret it :D

Dec 22, 2013 at 8:14 AM Post #10,019 of 20,386
I had the HD650 but I really found it dull sounding. I just don't like dark phones, I guess.. :rolleyes:

But u never had them driven by a good amp :wink: the hd650 is a good headphone..once it was a totl phone..and its mellow soundsignature can be good...but give it a good amp...its a very good phone in its own right with the right amp!
Just Ask fearless1 and his 337se :wink: am i right my friend?

Dec 22, 2013 at 8:54 AM Post #10,020 of 20,386
But u never had them driven by a good amp
wink.gif
the hd650 is a good headphone..once it was a totl phone..and its mellow soundsignature can be good...but give it a good amp...its a very good phone in its own right with the right amp!
Just Ask fearless1 and his 337se
wink.gif
am i right my friend?

Nothing wrong with the Aune T1 I had back then 
wink.gif

You are probably right and it would sound way better since it scales really well, but I doubt the sound signature would change. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back