HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Oct 30, 2013 at 1:12 AM Post #8,927 of 20,386
Wow, i just read Tyll's Comparing World-Class Headphones for the first time.  Interesting to find out the HE500 received very good evaluation.

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/comparing-world-class-headphones

I guess I did make a good choice. 
beerchug.gif

Oct 30, 2013 at 1:20 AM Post #8,928 of 20,386
I've a question for those who know a thing or two about amps available to purchase in the Uk/EU :)

Other than the Emotiva Mini X which I have owned but wasn't too keen on the noise floor/hiss, but loved the warmth, If you were given £300 to play with - what alternative amp would you choose to pair with the He-500 headphones? I'm looking for a very neutral Amp. This could be from Ebay Uk, Head-fi or anywhere really, as long as I can get to play with it within the next week.   I can't find any good deals on the Lyr over here, still £450 rrp, and besides at that price, what's turning me off is the many claims of tubes making the sound much better (which makes me think it must be dull in the first place).

Ideally, a stereo amp would be great, with a similar sound signature to the Emotiva Mini X (warm, full sounding, but not as to take away detail). 

Any ideas, exact models, links? 

Thanks a bunch :)

Oct 30, 2013 at 1:30 AM Post #8,929 of 20,386
I've a question for those who know a thing or two about amps available to purchase in the Uk/EU :)

Other than the Emotiva Mini X which I have owned but wasn't too keen on the noise floor/hiss, but loved the warmth, If you were given £300 to play with - what alternative amp would you choose to pair with the He-500 headphones? I'm looking for a very neutral Amp. This could be from Ebay Uk, Head-fi or anywhere really, as long as I can get to play with it within the next week.   I can't find any good deals on the Lyr over here, still £450 rrp, and besides at that price, what's turning me off is the many claims of tubes making the sound much better (which makes me think it must be dull in the first place).

Ideally, a stereo amp would be great, with a similar sound signature to the Emotiva Mini X (warm, full sounding, but not as to take away detail). 

Any ideas, exact models, links? 

Thanks a bunch :)

It's been awhile, so I can't remember fully, but from my memory, the super cheap Miniwatt N3 paired beautifully with the HE-500 on speaker taps. :)

Oct 30, 2013 at 1:38 AM Post #8,931 of 20,386
Dont forget to take a look at Audio gd's NFB 11.32 or NFB-28 if you want balanced. The amp portion drives them well for the price and you get the added bonus of a Sabre DAC!

Oct 30, 2013 at 1:41 AM Post #8,932 of 20,386
See if you can find a Lake People G103-S or GS109-S for a good price (Check out Thomann). Those are Violectric's mainstream products and don't have the same fancy chassis etc. and uses more SMD components, but should generally sound close to the same as the V90 and V100. They would be terrific value for money to use with the HE-500 due to their high power output. If you are looking at stereo amps try to find a second hand Cyrus amp as their gear is also reasonably compact. Not sure what the Rega Brio-R costs in the UK, but could also be a nice option though I've read of some people preferring the sound of the Mini-X to the Brio-R.

Oct 30, 2013 at 1:44 AM Post #8,933 of 20,386
Dont forget to take a look at Audio gd's NFB 11.32 or NFB-28 if you want balanced. The amp portion drives them well for the price and you get the added bonus of a Sabre DAC!

See if you can find a Lake People G103-S or GS109-S for a good price (Check out Thomann). Those are Violectric's mainstream products and don't have the same fancy chassis etc. and uses more SMD components, but should generally sound close to the same as the V90 and V100. They would be terrific value for money to use with the HE-500 due to their high power output. If you are looking at stereo amps try to find a second hand Cyrus amp as their gear is also reasonably compact. Not sure what the Rega Brio-R costs in the UK, but could also be a nice option though I've read of some people preferring the sound of the Mini-X to the Brio-R.

Thanks for the recommendations! 

Oct 30, 2013 at 3:09 AM Post #8,934 of 20,386
Thanks!

Actually I don't like tube amps. what about Matrix M-Stage?

I had the mstage..and it did well with the he500 with gain on 10db.. But i liked my 337 better by a huge margin..its a tubeamp..but doesnt sound like one...

Oct 30, 2013 at 3:12 AM Post #8,935 of 20,386
Or if you like a slightly warmer sound the 15.32 also sounds fantastic for the price

Oct 30, 2013 at 8:53 AM Post #8,938 of 20,386
Oct 30, 2013 at 10:39 AM Post #8,939 of 20,386
Just got my HE-500 and I couldn't be happier. I was afriad of the weight but I really don't find them to be uncomfortable after long sessions. I might put  Alpha Pads from my Mad Dog on these and see how comfy it is.

Oct 30, 2013 at 10:52 AM Post #8,940 of 20,386
Just got my HE-500 and I couldn't be happier. I was afriad of the weight but I really don't find them to be uncomfortable after long sessions. I might put  Alpha Pads from my Mad Dog on these and see how comfy it is.

Forget that alpha pads thingie..just go competly crazy and do the jerg mod! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back