HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Oct 8, 2013 at 4:08 PM Post #8,386 of 20,386
This:

$129 (nearly 75w channel with low distortion)
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=310-298

and this:

$20
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=310-300

Both power the HE-500 easily, sound awesome, and can't be beaten on price/performance (There are $99 chinese OEM versions of the top one on ebay). They are much more compact than the Mini or a receiver as well.

I haven't heard the mini itself, but I can't see how it would be worth more than 2x-10x the value of these. The $20 Lepai is dead silent off my HifimeDIY Sabre DAC when no sound is playing. 

Oct 8, 2013 at 4:21 PM Post #8,387 of 20,386
This:

$129 (nearly 75w channel with low distortion)
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=310-298

and this:

$20
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=310-300

Both power the HE-500 easily, sound awesome, and can't be beaten on price/performance (There are $99 chinese OEM versions of the top one on ebay). They are much more compact than the Mini or a receiver as well.

I haven't heard the mini itself, but I can't see how it would be worth more than 2x-10x the value of these. The $20 Lepai is dead silent off my HifimeDIY Sabre DAC when no sound is playing. 
Thanks for the suggestions. If the $20 Lepai can push the HE-500 without issue and remain silent with no music playing, I'm sold! I hate buzzing and amp noise. When there's no music playing, I like to hear nothing at all going through the headphones.

Oct 8, 2013 at 4:31 PM Post #8,388 of 20,386
Thanks for the suggestions. If the $20 Lepai can push the HE-500 without issue and remain silent with no music playing, I'm sold! I hate buzzing and amp noise. When there's no music playing, I like to hear nothing at all going through the headphones.

It depends on your source. When using the tone controls on the Lepai, if I fed it my PC line-out, there was amp hiss. With the DAC, no hiss.

Oct 8, 2013 at 4:43 PM Post #8,390 of 20,386
So if I purchase a Lepai 2020A along with a HifimeDIY Sabre DAC, it should push the HE-500 without issue and no hissing/buzzing at all?

That's what I'm using now. You can't crank the knob over halfway or you'll go deaf.

I'm using the new Sabre U2 DAC, bought from the US warehouse. The Lepai is on Amazon. $80 total for a dac/amp combo, and it sounds awesome. I prefer the $20 Lepai for its tone controls, as I can add some extra bass whenever I feel like it, and tame treble slightly. You can feed it without tone controls too, its push button selectable. The Mini-x can't do tone control. I also have the $129 one, which is powering speakers atm. Trying that later.

Oct 8, 2013 at 4:48 PM Post #8,391 of 20,386
Remember you need a cable for it.

Oct 8, 2013 at 4:52 PM Post #8,393 of 20,386
Oct 8, 2013 at 4:53 PM Post #8,394 of 20,386
How do you guys connect the Lepai to headphones? $20 is great, but all the Hifiman adaptors I've seen are considerably more expensive. Kind of defeats the point. Any recommendations for a cheap adapter cable? Could be something with a 1/4" to speaker adapter, or a cable that connects to the mini coaxials on the headphones, whatever's cheapest. I realize DIY would probably be cheapest, but I suck at that. 

Oct 8, 2013 at 4:54 PM Post #8,395 of 20,386
Does that lepai have shared ground? If so, it makes things a lot easier

Oct 8, 2013 at 8:17 PM Post #8,397 of 20,386
So I got good news and bad news, but mostly good news.
smily_headphones1.gif

I found the source of the hum of the Baby Sophia amp and it's actually caused by having my WA7 plugged in at the same time. The bad news is that I tried everything from using separate power conditioners to using different outlets, but it looks like the WA7 really needs to be unplugged to get rid of the hum. Guess all the outlets in my room are connected. It's not like I need both plugged in at the same time anyways. It's good that the WA7 DAC doesn't require it to be plugged in to function.

I also went ahead and ordered the Lepai since I have the HE Adapter and XLR connector already and it's only $20. Will see how it compares to the Baby Sophia.

Edit: Found the technical term. Ground loop hum.
http://www.audioholics.com/home-theater-connection/ground-loops-eliminating-system-hum-and-buzz

Oct 8, 2013 at 8:21 PM Post #8,398 of 20,386
  How do you guys connect the Lepai to headphones? $20 is great, but all the Hifiman adaptors I've seen are considerably more expensive. Kind of defeats the point. Any recommendations for a cheap adapter cable? Could be something with a 1/4" to speaker adapter, or a cable that connects to the mini coaxials on the headphones, whatever's cheapest. I realize DIY would probably be cheapest, but I suck at that. 

You'll have to buy it custom or have someone make it for you. I bought mine for ~$40 from a head-fi member who was getting rid of his. Well worth it.

I don't believe in $100+ "magical" cables made with unobtanium.

Oct 8, 2013 at 8:46 PM Post #8,399 of 20,386
Would these headphones be a great upgrade to the K702 65? Looking for another headphone and love the signature of my Annies and it sounds to me (having read reviews but starving for a test) that the HE-500's are similar in signature but improved in many ways. 

I want to know if they are an upgrade or a companion. 

Oct 8, 2013 at 8:56 PM Post #8,400 of 20,386

You'll have to buy it custom or have someone make it for you. I bought mine for ~$40 from a head-fi member who was getting rid of his. Well worth it.

I don't believe in $100+ "magical" cables made with unobtanium.

Shhhhh, count me in as +1.  
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back