HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Jul 15, 2013 at 2:11 PM Post #6,257 of 20,386
Quote:
Alright thanks guys for the quick response. I'll probably have enough for them at months end
smily_headphones1.gif
Can't wait!

For $120 more ($89 for Emo, $30 for banana adapter), you can always do M/Emo combo that will drive the heck out of the HE500
biggrin.gif

Jul 15, 2013 at 4:19 PM Post #6,258 of 20,386
Just got these in the mail about an hour ago. Sweet Fancy Moses!

They are good! Really good. Not that i'm particularly surprised as I had a hint of this in the past with a pair of (poorly driven at the time) HE-5LE.

Excellent mids and very strong, deep bass. Quick impression of the highs are that they're not sibilant and are present just enough to provide a nice sense of air.

Currently driving them from a Burson 160D and they sound great. Having heard the audeze lcd3 orthos on a more powerful soloist, I expect I might be able to get a smidge more bass response or larger soundstage from a more powerful amp but I am really not expecting a night and day difference if i upgrade the source and amp. Still, something to look forward to later on.

Jul 15, 2013 at 5:00 PM Post #6,259 of 20,386
Quote:

They are good! Really good. Not that i'm particularly surprised as I had a hint of this in the past with a pair of (poorly driven at the time) HE-5LE.

Excellent mids and very strong, deep bass. Quick impression of the highs are that they're not sibilant and are present just enough to provide a nice sense of air.

Currently driving them from a Burson 160D and they sound great. Having heard the audeze lcd3 orthos on a more powerful soloist, I expect I might be able to get a smidge more bass response or larger soundstage from a more powerful amp but I am really not expecting a night and day difference if i upgrade the source and amp. Still, something to look forward to later on.

Favorite reaction so far...and yes, I concur! 
tongue.gif

Jul 15, 2013 at 6:00 PM Post #6,260 of 20,386
Quote:
Favorite reaction so far...and yes, I concur! 
tongue.gif

Modulor, can't you throw a link to some pictures of your cable mod in your profile or something? It is quite neat to have it easily available for reference.

Jul 15, 2013 at 9:54 PM Post #6,263 of 20,386

More power isnt necessarely the reason for bigger soundstage..its probably the higher rated /higher quality components inside the soloist compared to the 160D which determine the better soundquality..not because its only more powerful...it does help in the bass department though..but only in the lower octaves of the bass....

Jul 15, 2013 at 11:21 PM Post #6,264 of 20,386
Here is a cable I just made with some advise and help from modulor.  Thx again modulor.  
size]

Connectors came this afternoon and I finished my balanced cable and adapter for the HE500 in about 30 minutes.  I am ready to test out some balanced amps at the Cali meet next month. 
size]
  So far, I can't any difference compared to the stock cable.  I used OFC mogami cable.

http://www.mogamicable.com/category/bulk/microphone/quad/

Jul 16, 2013 at 9:48 AM Post #6,265 of 20,386
Quote:
Modulor, can't you throw a link to some pictures of your cable mod in your profile or something? It is quite neat to have it easily available for reference.

You're right, I do need to collect all my pictures and make a few albums...perhaps I'll get a chance to do this over the weekend. 
cool.gif
  In the meantime, this is a stock HE-400 cable I converted: http://imgur.com/a/IRVgJ and the stock HE-500 cable that I'm still waiting to finish up: http://imgur.com/a/s9EPV

Modulor, how are the Jerg pads coming?

Slowly but surely, still on schedule though 
biggrin.gif
 I plan on having jerg's demo pair out tomorrow so once he gets them keep an eye out for his impressions.  I do plan on creating a tutorial with pictures and explanations of all the steps soon, so I hope to have that made up by the weekend and I'll likely post it to the jergpad thread, but I'll link to it here and on the HE-400 thread as well.

Jul 16, 2013 at 10:59 AM Post #6,266 of 20,386
Here is a cable I just made with some advise and help from modulor.  Thx again modulor.  
size]

Connectors came this afternoon and I finished my balanced cable and adapter for the HE500 in about 30 minutes.  I am ready to test out some balanced amps at the Cali meet next month. 
size]

So far, I can't any difference compared to the stock cable.  I used OFC mogami cable.

http://www.mogamicable.com/category/bulk/microphone/quad/

I see u removed the backside the original dust protectors.(if i see it correctly) .why did u do that? Change in sound?

Jul 16, 2013 at 11:06 AM Post #6,267 of 20,386
Quote:
I see u removed the backside the original dust protectors.(if i see it correctly) .why did u do that? Change in sound?

Gives treble some clarity and airiness. Nothing FR-changing or anything, it just eliminates the element of the dust covers introducing unnecessary fabric damping on the upper extremes of treble.

Jul 16, 2013 at 12:32 PM Post #6,270 of 20,386
Quote:
That's the big thing holding me back from trying that out...

So far, I like the difference in sound a lot.  I make it a habit to keep the drivers/cups clean by blowing some air into them once a week.
I do transport the HE500 to/from work daily in its stock pouch.  At home, my office is pretty clean.  The only main concern is "metal" dust which I am lucky enough not to have around me. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back