HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Jun 27, 2013 at 7:06 PM Post #5,731 of 20,386
Quote:

What calendar are you using??? That must be one big ass month 
biggrin.gif
. The Emotiva has been going on since last Christmas.

LOL I wonder how many customers Emotiva got because of that thread. Give it a month or two and you'll see Emotiva being a head-fi sponsor. 

I think it's been going since last July. That's when I purchased the first one. 

Jun 27, 2013 at 7:57 PM Post #5,732 of 20,386
The Emotiva is $189 right now. The discount has me thinking about trying it. What is the cheapest way to get my HE-500 hooked up? Thanks

PS I hate when people ask simple questions that could easily be found with a search. It's been a long day with a death in the family and I don't have time to read this and the other thread.

Jun 27, 2013 at 9:53 PM Post #5,733 of 20,386
Quote:
The Emotiva is $189 right now. The discount has me thinking about trying it. What is the cheapest way to get my HE-500 hooked up? Thanks

PS I hate when people ask simple questions that could easily be found with a search. It's been a long day with a death in the family and I don't have time to read this and the other thread.

Cheapest way?  HE500 -> TRS to 4 banana adapter (shared ground is fine with the Mini-X).
This is what I intend to try out too, but not with the mini-X.  I still have quite a few speaker amps and receivers to play around with.  Though, at $189, the mini-X is indeed cheap.

Jun 27, 2013 at 11:54 PM Post #5,734 of 20,386
Quote:
What calendar are you using??? That must be one big ass month 
biggrin.gif
. The Emotiva has been going on since last Christmas.

LOL I wonder how many customers Emotiva got because of that thread. Give it a month or two and you'll see Emotiva being a head-fi sponsor. 

Quote:
I think it's been going since last July. That's when I purchased the first one. 

Well here on Head-Fi. FOTM can last a couple of years like the LCD-2. LOL

I believe when someone inquired Emotiva about using the mini-X to drive their HE-6, the e-mail response was that they would recommend the Schiit Lyr.
very_evil_smiley.gif
 (Someone from Emotiva really needs to start thinking outside the box; how hard could it be to add a headphone out?)

Jun 28, 2013 at 12:02 AM Post #5,735 of 20,386
Quote:

Well here on Head-Fi. FOTM can last a couple of years like the LCD-2. LOL

I believe when someone inquired Emotiva about using the mini-X to drive their HE-6, the e-mail response was that they would recommend the Schiit Lyr.
very_evil_smiley.gif
 (Someone from Emotiva really needs to start thinking outside the box; how hard could it be to add a headphone out?)

When I first emailed them their response was something along the lines of "if you really need a lot of power for headphones, you should try schiit audio". I was like, you have no idea the kinds of headphones we're dealing with. 

Jun 28, 2013 at 12:33 AM Post #5,736 of 20,386
just following the title:

extremely dynamic bass push force, air dynamic presence--to the point it's too much for the eardrum

too heavy for long term sessions.

perceivably high detail and speed, but makes me wonder why I paid 700 for it--oh yeah, I probably need some 2k amp to feel justified, but wait, I don't have that kind of budget, nor will I buy into it until I try one

well, I don'tlive in a big city, so no meet ups, no audio stores with headphile gears.

Jun 28, 2013 at 2:58 AM Post #5,737 of 20,386
Quote:

perceivably high detail and speed, but makes me wonder why I paid 700 for it--oh yeah, I probably need some 2k amp to feel justified, but wait,

absolutely not. you bought an headphone with high Q/P relationship, now do the same with the amplifier, right???
wink.gif

Jun 28, 2013 at 3:05 AM Post #5,738 of 20,386
Quote:
Are you the emotive national sales manager:blush:

a little O.T.: i bought new on ebay one sherbourn(same thing of emotiva) sr-120
an incredible ht amplifier. the original price was 3.000 dollars and i bought new for 799+shipping.
now the builder sell 4 for 450 dollars, new!!!
sorry for the OT

Jun 28, 2013 at 8:13 AM Post #5,742 of 20,386
what match isgood

Before you sell your Lyr, try rolling in a pair of Mullard CV 2493/2492 for a slightly deeper "meatier" sound.

Jun 28, 2013 at 8:28 AM Post #5,743 of 20,386
Quote:
what match is good

lolz....well...check a darkv 33..couch..couch...lafi 33..couch couch....ly..couch couch...decwa couch couch .... i cant say those names outloud here..or else i could be cruzified
biggrin.gif

or try the emotiva...yep..that name i can mention without being dismembered or something like that....
wink.gif

but in my opinion....and i am probably opening a BIG can of worms here again: pls invest some good money on ur amp and dac and use high quality lossless music (flac,wav,  sacd etc.).... the he500 needs a good amp and sources...and it deserves it!!! its a wonderfull can!!..and it will shine when u do!...

and am also not talking about multi watts of amping here!..as the headphone amp which was specificaly designed for the most powerhungry headphone at this moment, he6, Hifiman own EF6, 'only'  has 5 watts at 50ohm (1600 usd!)...so any more  watts would be overkill. they make those 2 headphones..so i guess they know best what amping is sufficient to drive their headphones to their limits of soundquality... hifman isnt the brand to overprice their products...so if u have to pay premium for a EF6 acording to hifiman then i guess u have to pay premium to get the utmost out of ur he6....or ur he500...the he500 'only' needs 1 watt at 50 ohm to sound on its best...

but as i said before...power is nothiing without control..some amps deliver huge amount of watts and cost almost nothing...that low price has to come somewhere..no one sells products without profit... for me..i prefer detail and warmth above big bass..something those big power budget amps deliver...and people who want that i respect completely...and i also know people dont have multi 1000 usd to spend on their rig..and i also know that some 'high end' priced components dont deserve the name high end...

most of the 'negatives' which is mentioned here about the he500 dont exist on my rig...okay except for a bit lesser soundstage compared to a hd800 or the audezes (mr. fang angled drivers and angled connectors pls!
biggrin.gif
).... for me the he500 is a very balanced headphone...

...i have to admit..when i got the he500 at first...it wasnt really what i expected for 700euro...but it only really became to shine when i got my new (tung sol 5998) tubes and my new cables (power and headphone)..

GUYS and GIRLS....this could be an endgame rig for many of us music listening lovers...but for some (like me) its a starting point to the bleeding wallet and u spending a huge amount of money for a better rig. so be careful for what ur getting in...
very_evil_smiley.gif

but most important..in the end...its all about personal taste, ur budget and how far u wanna go to get the best ur headphone can deliver u...

Jun 28, 2013 at 11:33 AM Post #5,744 of 20,386
I've been very happy with my HE-500 and Violectric V200/V800.  I thought it might be my end-game rig - certainly felt like it should have been considering how much money I spent.

But now I'm getting an LCD-3 and a Decware Taboo MKIII.  Oops!

Jun 28, 2013 at 12:55 PM Post #5,745 of 20,386
Quote:
I've been very happy with my HE-500 and Violectric V200/V800.  I thought it might be my end-game rig - certainly felt like it should have been considering how much money I spent.

But now I'm getting an LCD-3 and a Decware Taboo MKIII.  Oops!

You'll be okay. Just give some time for your head to burn in with the vacuum feel of the ear cups. I presume you have heard either the LCD-2 or LCD-3 before this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back