HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
May 24, 2013 at 8:47 PM Post #5,116 of 20,374
Quote:
Yes, but not in the sense that a $10000 power outlet is always better than a 50 bucks one - or you need to cryo/put fairie dust to get good result. Cryo-ed tube get slight difference at rare circumstances, cryo cable and especially power strip doesn't do squat.

If you don't get noise/interference from all of your wall outlet, I'd say don't bother.

Hmmm, the only other thing I can think of that was different is maybe the USB ports are better on my brother's computer.

May 24, 2013 at 9:04 PM Post #5,117 of 20,374
Quote:
Hmmm, the only other thing I can think of that was different is maybe the USB ports are better on my brother's computer.

Just try different ports, and make sure nothing other than Dacs are control by said USB hub.

Also take your time to get more familiar with equipments; forcing yourself to find differences will likely make you find no difference at all. Brain doesn't cope well with pressure =p.

May 24, 2013 at 9:41 PM Post #5,118 of 20,374

Funny u say this..i by accident found out that my brandnew asus with I7 processor higher end laptop had noisier usb outputs then my middle end acer laptop of 4years..i spoke to a senior sound engineer bout that and he told me it could be that the powersupply of the asus could be of lesser quality..and in so be the reason for the noise comng out the usb..no noise comes out from speakers though..sound is clean..only usb has some kind of low frequenzy static noise...connecting the dac to an external usb hub (with own powersupply) also is clean..so weird...

am thinkin in upgrading the powersupply of my asus laptop..for a better one..like people do with dacs..anyone has experience with that?

Ps..my 337 is very sensitive to how its connected to the electricity..i Found out the sound is better when connected diRectly into a grounded wallsocket....sound degrades if i use anything between it....so my two powercords of my amp is directly inserted into the wall...i even found out that the cables are fased correctly...they have red dots on them so u can see how to align them correctly or something....i dont know how that works..or if its placebo..but to my ears the dark got a bit darker..especially with music which plays very low...and then gets all silent and then gets louder again..wonderfull! But as i said..its not huge difference..its that little special touch here and there.... :wink:

May 24, 2013 at 10:06 PM Post #5,119 of 20,374
Quote:
Funny u say this..i by accident found out that my brandnew asus with I7 processor higher end laptop had noisier usb outputs then my middle end acer laptop of 4years..i spoke to a senior sound engineer bout that and he told me it could be that the powersupply of the asus could be of lesser quality..and in so be the reason for the noise comng out the usb..no noise comes out from speakers though..sound is clean..only usb has some kind of low frequenzy static noise...connecting the dac to an external usb hub (with own powersupply) also is clean..so weird...

am thinkin in upgrading the powersupply of my asus laptop..for a better one..like people do with dacs..anyone has experience with that?

Ps..my 337 is very sensitive to how its connected to the electricity..i Found out the sound is better when connected diRectly into a grounded wallsocket....sound degrades if i use anything between it....so my two powercords of my amp is directly inserted into the wall...i even found out that the cables are fased correctly...they have red dots on them so u can see how to align them correctly or something....i dont know how that works..or if its placebo..but to my ears the dark got a bit darker..especially with music which plays very low...and then gets all silent and then gets louder again..wonderfull! But as i said..its not huge difference..its that little special touch here and there....
wink.gif

It has more to do with how the power part of the mainboard is designed. In reality, battery power is among the cleanest there is; and a laptop battery is most likely better than any "cheap" linear power supply. If you unplug the laptop (running on battery) and the noise still exists, get an external USB hub; preferably with separate smps/lnps. The fact that you got no noise from an external hub means the internal usb is picking up noises.

Also if your dac has its own toroidal tranny dedicated to USB input, and you get interference from USB, just cut the 5V line from the usb cable.

About the power; tube amp (especially OTL design like the Darkvoice) is much more sensitive to power than say dac, or solid state amp for that matter. Even the wall outlet in the same house aren't equal. My room got 4 outlet and 2 of them produces noises. If you intend to stick with tube amp, best to get a good isolation transformer - which will most of the time cure any hums (if the hums are from AC line).

May 25, 2013 at 4:10 PM Post #5,121 of 20,374
Just picked up a pair of HE-500's! Stoked to try em out :)

Currently I have a Neuhaus Laboratories T-2 Amplifier in my setup. I know everyone is saying you want to have the proper fitting amp for these headphones, like the schiit lyr (I have a bitfrost right now). Wondering if the specs of this amp will be a good fit for the HE-500's. Any thoughts are appreciated! 

May 25, 2013 at 5:19 PM Post #5,122 of 20,374
Quote:
I use the pads you can buy at amazon. With the Beyer velour pads it increases the comfort immensely. Also the synergy with DAC1 is just fantastic.
(sorry for the crappy picture)

how does the sound change with the velours? 

May 25, 2013 at 6:38 PM Post #5,123 of 20,374
Quote:
Just picked up a pair of HE-500's! Stoked to try em out :)

Currently I have a Neuhaus Laboratories T-2 Amplifier in my setup. I know everyone is saying you want to have the proper fitting amp for these headphones, like the schiit lyr (I have a bitfrost right now). Wondering if the specs of this amp will be a good fit for the HE-500's. Any thoughts are appreciated! 

The headphone out seems like it is quite inferior, and there aren't many specs posted. You should use the speaker out if you can.

May 25, 2013 at 7:29 PM Post #5,124 of 20,374
Quote:

how does the sound change with the velours? 

beyer velours are the best stock I've tried yet. The mad dog alpha pads are more comfortable, but brings the treble and airiness down too much for me. Haven't tried the jergmod, but I am very happy with the beyer pads (even though they are hard to get on the hifiman rings
tongue.gif
)

May 25, 2013 at 8:25 PM Post #5,125 of 20,374
Hi guys, need some help here.

I know what I'm asking for help is slightly over the top but I hope you guys can help me.

My HE500 is having problem and I need to RMA it but the problem is I bought this from another seller. He didn't buy it online and he lost the receipt and Hifiman actually requires it.

But definitely it's less than a year and deserves the warranty.

Any of you that can assist can you pls send me a tell.

Thanks in advance.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

May 25, 2013 at 8:31 PM Post #5,126 of 20,374
Quote:

I know what I'm asking for help is slightly over the top but I hope you guys can help me.

My HE500 is having problem and I need to RMA it but the problem is I bought this from another seller. He didn't buy it online and he lost the receipt and Hifiman actually requires it.

Thanks in advance.

So the person you bought the HE-500 from, was he the original owner or not?

May 25, 2013 at 9:02 PM Post #5,127 of 20,374
Yes he is but he he misplaced the proof of purchase and he bought it from overseas( not online )
He is still looking for it but unlikely he is able to find it.

I emailed Hifiman and the minimum that they need is a paypal transaction. Sigh .

May 25, 2013 at 9:05 PM Post #5,128 of 20,374
Quote:

Thanks in advance.

I RMA'ed my HE-4 which were not under warranty anymore and for which I didn't have any proof of being the original owner (I wasn't registered on their website back then). They charged me $120 for replacing them with what seems to be a new pair of HE-4, including shippings. It's quite cheap actually!

May 25, 2013 at 9:07 PM Post #5,129 of 20,374
Quote:
Yes he is but he he misplaced the proof of purchase and he bought it from overseas( not online )
He is still looking for it but unlikely he is able to find it.

I emailed Hifiman and the minimum that they need is a paypal transaction. Sigh .

I am a bit lost. If he's the first owner and he bought it from overseas, then he must have bought it from an actual place. Maybe that place would have the receipt. Otherwise, if it was online, then clearly one of the parties must be able to look it up. Did you him where exactly he bought the HE-500 from?

May 25, 2013 at 10:12 PM Post #5,130 of 20,374
Quote:

I RMA'ed my HE-4 which were not under warranty anymore and for which I didn't have any proof of being the original owner (I wasn't registered on their website back then). They charged me $120 for replacing them with what seems to be a new pair of HE-4, including shippings. It's quite cheap actually!

It's actually refurbished "like new" HE-4s you received. I also did out-of-warranty no-proof replacement of my 2nd hand HE-500s with Hifiman, for a fee like yours, and the replacement was 100% refurbished like all other out-of-warranty replacements from them.

Regardless, the fact that it's refurbed means you're guaranteed they've tested it (more than a new unit) and it works well.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back