HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Feb 2, 2013 at 10:22 PM Post #2,881 of 20,386
Quote:
No no no it doesn't require it. It'd be nice if it could get it, but HE500s are exceptionally forgiving in terms of amping, moreso than most other high end headphones in fact.

Thats completely correct..but..get the right amp..poor matching is a no go with the he500

Feb 2, 2013 at 10:23 PM Post #2,882 of 20,386
Quote:
Thats completely correct..but..get the right amp..poor matching is a no go with the he500

What is the right AMP for them then?

Thanks

Feb 2, 2013 at 10:25 PM Post #2,883 of 20,386
Quote:

Have them both, T1 is nice change of pace and do sound very good in their own right, but got to cans are the 500's. Grater detail, fuller sound, more involving. I may feel different once I get an OTL on the T1's.

KP

You find the HE-500 does detail retrieval better than the T1?   I would say the HE-500s are more forgiving when compared to the T1 because the T1s does such a great job at detail retrieval - that's one of the headphones strong point.  This also makes it less forgiving when compared to the HE-500s. 

This is IMO of course.
biggrin.gif

Feb 2, 2013 at 10:28 PM Post #2,884 of 20,386
Quote:
Making listening to my Indie Rock flac painfull to my ears :frowning2: (have to turn down the volume) However on the other side some high resolution files are just purely amazing like Pink Floyd or classical / jaz ones. They are very sensitive to quality of material which I am listening to and I can easliy tell the higher resolution files from lower ones. Unexpected draw back of high quality equipment.

Indie rock and metal are two genres that have some of the worst mastering out there. HE-500 will do okay here, nothing painful.

Pink Floyd on HE-500 is the absolute best I've ever heard on any headphones so far. It rivals the sound of Funktion One speakers. It absolutely murdered the LCD-2 Rev2 here. The treble response with Pink Floyd and other recordings that used live instruments is something you have to listen to for yourself. Instead of throwing typical audiophile synonyms at you, I'll simply recommend you to buy it.

Feb 2, 2013 at 10:33 PM Post #2,885 of 20,386
Quote:
What is the right AMP for them then?

Thanks

I can only talk from experience as thats most honest..guys cut in with alternatives pls

The darkvoice 337 and lafigaro 339 pair suberbly
shiit lyr a bit more muddy but excellent amp!
violectric v200 if u wanna go balanced
I had a matrix mstage with opa627 class a mod and it did surprisingly well with the he500 as i mentioned before..fow low budget simple amping thats not a bad choice imho ofcourse

i understand the woo audio waa 7 pairs well also
and there is a huge thread about emotiva
but last two i only know from hearsay..am sure others can give u more info and other alternatives they have experience with.

but u have to use ur ears to find out whats best for u..thats only way.
wink.gif

Feb 2, 2013 at 10:36 PM Post #2,886 of 20,386
Quote:
I can only talk from experience as thats most honest..guys cut in with alternatives pls

The darkvoice 337 and lafigaro 339 pair suberbly
shiit lyr a bit more muddy but excellent amp!
violectric v200 if u wanna go balanced
I had a matrix mstage with opa627 class a mod and it did surprisingly well with the he500 as i mentioned before..fow low budget simple amping thats not a bad choice imho ofcourse

i understand the woo audio waa 7 pairs well also
and there is a huge thread about emotiva
but last two i only know from hearsay..am sure others can give u more info and other alternatives they have experience with.

but u have to use ur ears to find out whats best for u..thats only way.
wink.gif

The V200 is not a balanced amp
blink.gif

Feb 2, 2013 at 10:38 PM Post #2,887 of 20,386
Quote:

The V200 is not a balanced amp
blink.gif
biggrin.gif

I think it is 
wink.gif
 But only input

http://www.violectric.de/Pages/en/products/hpav200.php

but i have to say it wasnt a v200 but a v181.. Those beep violectric amps look then same to me 

http://www.violectric.de/Pages/en/products/hpav181.php

Feb 2, 2013 at 10:39 PM Post #2,888 of 20,386
Quote:
@Dougo

Which tubes you are using for Lyr? I also have Bifrost-Lyr-HE-500 and I've been using 6N1Ps to drive HE-500 and I found sub bass to be a bit low in volume. My HE-500 has less than 30 hours of use though.

I have the same kit as you. I'm using a couple Matsu****a E88CC 6922 Japan tubes right now and am stupidly happy with them. Have fun!

Feb 2, 2013 at 10:41 PM Post #2,891 of 20,386
V200 - Balanced XLR inputs, with single ended output.

Feb 2, 2013 at 10:44 PM Post #2,893 of 20,386
Got to love contradicting opinions :wink:

Unfortunatley I cannot listen to any of those headphones. I have to chose based on what I read.

But yes I would think that T1 are the masters of detail and dynamics due to technology used at cost of other characteristics at times.

Hard choices :D

Maybe I should stay with D7100 - they are getting better with burning in. :D

Thanks for all the input so far.

The 1.5W Amp should do great job of driving HE-500?

Feb 2, 2013 at 10:45 PM Post #2,895 of 20,386
Quote:

Right - but the amp it self is single ended - not balanced.

Yep i think so..the v181 is the real balanced violectric as far i understand.. 
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back