HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Apr 9, 2016 at 2:21 PM Post #17,656 of 20,386
  micro thin...........I personally could not even get the backings off it

Ok, i see what you mean, but it works well, and in the end of the day this is what matters.

It does not seem to deteriorate in time, one draw back is that removal is difficult and it may well damage the pads, and you have to cut it in order to make for the circumference difference.

Apr 9, 2016 at 2:29 PM Post #17,657 of 20,386

I was thinking about picking up the brainwavz hybrid pads instead of the hifiman focus or focus-a. Has anyone found a comparison?

I've only tried Brainwavz velours with my HE-500. The sound became darker and smoother overall. Not really to my liking.

Bummer. I think I'll make the leap into some Focus-A pads. Recently got a new amp, and I'd like a little more off the treble (yup, I can't believe it either).

Quote:
T1 colored? Absolutely not. I can't think of a more transparent headphone. You really ought to hear it for yourself.

Are we talking about the Beyer T1?  I can only think of a few headphones I would say are more colored than the T1 that cost more than $200. Hell, I think most ultrasones would sounds more neutral than that headphone.

Apr 15, 2016 at 12:59 PM Post #17,661 of 20,386
Anybody have an idea what the difference between these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251638883826

and genuine Focus pads are?

Apr 16, 2016 at 12:44 PM Post #17,663 of 20,386
I've joined the club
L3000.gif

After many years of headphone listening I now have the finest sounding setup I'm privileged to listen too.  It's been a long journey going back to about 1970 when I owned my Beloved Wharfdale Isodynamics.

I tnen moved on to Koss ESP's with energizer box and in more recent years to
Sennheiser HE 60 / HEV 70 which within a month had me wanting to shake the musicians to life, they were all on Valium ​
confused_face(1).gif

Then I heard Grado RS1's and was smitten, here was the energy so badly missing, not as refined but so much more musical fun. Well I left headphones for the last couple of years and picked up a set of AKG702's rewired with kimber. Very clean but shrill. I decided to set them up in my bedroom. So off to Ebay to see what I could find at a price I could get a return on my money if it was not suitable. Luck was on my side and I managed to pick up a Burson 160Ds for less than I would pay for a Creek. WOW what a transformation the AKG now turned into a fantastic Rock headphone.

You know where this is going, if the AKG's sound this good what will a higher end phone sound like through it. Onto the forums and lots of reading, it seemed a no brainer 'Bang for the Buck' the HE500 were the obvious choice but could I find an un-abused set at reasonable price. Well one of my AV forums had a set and were mine for £275 delivered.

I am now in seventh heaven, here is a setup with pace,slam and refinement. These have made me cry! Listening to Pink's 'Dear Mr President'. Now if a piece of equipment can convey feeling that well it's very special indeed.

Here's to Happy and Sad Listening
beerchug.gif

Apr 16, 2016 at 12:48 PM Post #17,664 of 20,386
Welcome to the club. I'm happy you're enjoying too this great headphone.
  I've joined the club
L3000.gif

After many years of headphone listening I now have the finest sounding setup I'm privileged to listen too.  It's been a long journey going back to about 1970 when I owned my Beloved Wharfdale Isodynamics.

I tnen moved on to Koss ESP's with energizer box and in more recent years to
Sennheiser HE 60 / HEV 70 which within a month had me wanting to shake the musicians to life, they were all on Valium ​
confused_face(1).gif

Then I heard Grado RS1's and was smitten, here was the energy so badly missing, not as refined but so much more musical fun. Well I left headphones for the last couple of years and picked up a set of AKG702's rewired with kimber. Very clean but shrill. I decided to set them up in my bedroom. So off to Ebay to see what I could find at a price I could get a return on my money if it was not suitable. Luck was on my side and I managed to pick up a Burson 160Ds for less than I would pay for a Creek. WOW what a transformation the AKG now turned into a fantastic Rock headphone.

You know where this is going, if the AKG's sound this good what will a higher end phone sound like through it. Onto the forums and lots of reading, it seemed a no brainer 'Bang for the Buck' the HE500 were the obvious choice but could I find an un-abused set at reasonable price. Well one of my AV forums had a set and were mine for £275 delivered.

I am now in seventh heaven, here is a setup with pace,slam and refinement. These have made me cry! Listening to Pink's 'Dear Mr President'. Now if a piece of equipment can convey feeling that well it's very special indeed.

Here's to Happy and Sad Listening
beerchug.gif

Apr 17, 2016 at 1:55 AM Post #17,665 of 20,386
Apr 17, 2016 at 4:33 AM Post #17,668 of 20,386
I have just completed my forever kit. HE 500's with angled leather pads coupled with Violectric V800 DAC and V200 Amp, using an iFi iPurifier and iUSB to clean the USB signal from the Squeezebox Touch with EDO. As secondary inputs I use an AK100 through the optical input and an X5 through the coaxial when needed.

This sounds so musical, very powerful and capable, fantastic.

Thank you to all for all of the great input.

Apr 17, 2016 at 5:53 AM Post #17,669 of 20,386
  I have just completed my forever kit. HE 500's with angled leather pads coupled with Violectric V800 DAC and V200 Amp, using an iFi iPurifier and iUSB to clean the USB signal from the Squeezebox Touch with EDO. As secondary inputs I use an AK100 through the optical input and an X5 through the coaxial when needed.

This sounds so musical, very powerful and capable, fantastic.

Thank you to all for all of the great input.

Nice. What "angled leather pads" do you have?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back