Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion
Dec 13, 2015 at 8:33 AM Post #6,167 of 14,386
Dec 13, 2015 at 8:34 AM Post #6,168 of 14,386
According to early impressions perhaps the new Hifiman Edition X might have similar tonality. ( HE-X is said to be slightly warmer sounding than supposedly neutral HE-1000) HE-560 has different tonality, LCD-2 is probably closer to HE-400i in tonality, but in my opinion it provides only modest upgrade in sound quality yet significant downgrade in comfort. HE-X is also very efficient and light/comfortable headphone with the same ergonomic headband as HE-400i has.

HE-X looks promising, though I would have to wait for an aggressive sale. Don't really want to spend quite that much. Have you heard the EL-8?

Dec 13, 2015 at 10:06 AM Post #6,171 of 14,386
Sorry, I haven´t heard EL-8.

You said the 560 has a different tonality? I recall people describing them as more neutral, is that correct? Would you consider them a good upgrade over the 400i? Besides them leaning more neutral, how would you compare the two personally?

Dec 13, 2015 at 10:27 AM Post #6,173 of 14,386
  So now that mine have arrived, a quick question on stands: looking at the headband, a hook like this seems like it would stretch out the band over time.  Suggestions for a non-wooden stand that'll keep strain off the headband?  The 400 is a lot less comfortable, but seems way more durable to me.

I don't think the headband will stretch, I was more concerned with the ear pads being smashed together so I stretched out the metal part of the headband just enough to keep the ear pads from touching when on a stand.

This is a stand that I've modified to distribute the load on the headband padding for my other headphones:

Dec 13, 2015 at 10:31 AM Post #6,175 of 14,386
You said the 560 has a different tonality? I recall people describing them as more neutral, is that correct? Would you consider them a good upgrade over the 400i? Besides them leaning more neutral, how would you compare the two personally?

Yes, the 560s would be more neutral (most easy to hear in the lower frequencies) and they are more micro-detailed everywhere, but the treble spike many people complain about with the 560 is worth taking into account. I owned a 560 for a year with extremely good amplification and yes it is an upgrade in pure objective terms but as you know this is very subjective. If you have decent amplification, like a little less, but more detailed, deeper sub-bass, then the 560 is worth considering. The 400i gets you most of the way there mind you, and it is a more forgiving signature overall.

Dec 13, 2015 at 10:44 AM Post #6,176 of 14,386
  the steel headband wont stretch by itself.
i tried leaving mine stretched over night few times but there was no change.
you need to put a lot of pressure for it to bend.

I wrapped the metal section in tape and padding before using a table vice, the metal is spring steel I think so it will keep its shape until you really over bend it,  Do this at your own risk
biggrin.gif

Dec 13, 2015 at 10:50 AM Post #6,177 of 14,386

I think whether you view it as more neutral depends a lot on how you view the HE400i signature.  I've seen the 400i described as everything from warm to neutral to bright.  In comparison the HE560 is brighter than the HE400i.  Its bass quality is improved over the HE400i slightly, but is lower in quantity.  The HE560 also has more 4kHz.  It's a more linear signature, but is definitely tilted brighter than the HE400i.  If you view the HE400i as a warm sounding headphone, you will probably view the HE560 as dead neutral.  To me the HE560 sounds like a HD600, but with better extension in both the bass and the treble.  The HE400i sounds like a HD650, but with better bass extension and more energetic treble.  

Dec 13, 2015 at 11:26 AM Post #6,178 of 14,386
Sounds like it may not be worth spending the extra $600 over the sale price I paid for the 400i.

I do consider the 400i slightly warmer than neutral, though not as warm as my hd650. I usually like a slightly warmer than neutral signature, so perhaps the 560 isn't for me.

Dec 13, 2015 at 11:42 AM Post #6,179 of 14,386
Sounds like it may not be worth spending the extra $600 over the sale price I paid for the 400i.

I do consider the 400i slightly warmer than neutral, though not as warm as my hd650. I usually like a slightly warmer than neutral signature, so perhaps the 560 isn't for me.

I'm terrified that I'm going to fall for the X edition when I hear it at the meet and be forced to buy it.

Dec 13, 2015 at 11:44 AM Post #6,180 of 14,386

I wrapped the metal section in tape and padding before using a table vice, the metal is spring steel I think so it will keep its shape until you really over bend it,  Do this at your own risk
biggrin.gif

my thumbs actually hurt a bit after i stretched the band, i used a lot of force.

this is the last picture i took, now its a tad more stretched :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back