Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion
Dec 19, 2014 at 1:31 PM Post #2,926 of 14,386
Hi, new to the site and want a little advice. Just purchased a pair of 400i's and next on the list is a decent amplifier. I'm currently running them straight through an iPad Air. I also have a set of sennheiser 650's and momentums. Never had an amplifier and don't want to rush into this. Looking to spend 500 or so. Doesn't have to be portable either. I've been looking at the lyr 2's along with a few others and simply want to get your thoughts before making a mistake. Do I need an elite amp for these headphones or will a FILO 12 for instance be good enough?
Appreciate any advice.

I can run the 400i directly from my FiiO X5 with reasonable results. I have used it with the E12 as well. This adds some depth and bass solidity to things.
I have a few desktop amps now. I have a Couple of Sunrise IIIs an AudioGd NFB 11 and NFB28. I have a Meridian Explorer and Explorer 2, a Geek Out 1000 and literally a dozen different portable amps. I had a Lyr 2 here for a few weeks with stock tubes, but I returned it as it was just not audibly much better (if at all) from My Sunrise III amps, and cost considerably more. The amp that I have been using the most with the 400i is the Garage1217 Polaris. It is a great sounding amp that is very flexible for tuning the sound coming out of it. It has more than enough juice to drive the 400i to clean, but ear damaging, levels. It would easily fit in your budget with room left to pick up an E12 for portable use.

Dec 19, 2014 at 2:59 PM Post #2,927 of 14,386
I'm also considering the Polaris. What settings do you use on the Polaris for the 400i's mandrake50? And what dac do you use?

Dec 19, 2014 at 3:56 PM Post #2,929 of 14,386
I can run the 400i directly from my FiiO X5 with reasonable results. I have used it with the E12 as well. This adds some depth and bass solidity to things.
I have a few desktop amps now. I have a Couple of Sunrise IIIs an AudioGd NFB 11 and NFB28. I have a Meridian Explorer and Explorer 2, a Geek Out 1000 and literally a dozen different portable amps. I had a Lyr 2 here for a few weeks with stock tubes, but I returned it as it was just not audibly much better (if at all) from My Sunrise III amps, and cost considerably more. The amp that I have been using the most with the 400i is the Garage1217 Polaris. It is a great sounding amp that is very flexible for tuning the sound coming out of it. It has more than enough juice to drive the 400i to clean, but ear damaging, levels. It would easily fit in your budget with room left to pick up an E12 for portable use.

You recommend the Polaris over the Sunrise 3? Since the 400i is warm tilting, the S3 exaggerates that you think? I've been in the air about upgrading my Aune T1 to either the new Modi 2 Uber, Vali or Sunrise 3...never really thought too much about the Polaris

Dec 19, 2014 at 6:26 PM Post #2,931 of 14,386
Sorry for your wallet. Mine just hurts...

Dec 19, 2014 at 7:20 PM Post #2,932 of 14,386
Looks like I came to the right place. Lots of great info to digest....thank you! I can see this hobby becoming addicting.

I apologize in advance.  And no one is kidding about the wallet thing.  Be careful, and listen responsibly...

biggrin.gif

Dec 19, 2014 at 7:25 PM Post #2,933 of 14,386
The 400i doesn't scale so much. LYR2 is more than a good match for it.

The 400i doesn't scale so much. LYR2 is more than a good match for it.

I disagree. They scale quite well and are quite adept at revealing the sonic characteristics of amps. They happen to love high current, low output impedance/ high damping factor amps. My personal experience and that of quite a few others (check out the thread) is that the Gustard H10 is probably the best amp one can get for a planar magnetic for well under $500. Actually it can be had for around $320.

I think both of you are right, which is the amazing thing about these cans.  They DO scale with better amps.  Much more than my Grado's, who don't really care if I use my FiiO, Magni, or Soloist.  The 400i sounds bigger, more depth with the Soloist for sure, but it's nowhere near the difference that the Primes or Alpha Dogs have.  But they still sound like the 400i's, just at lower volume.  It's kinda hard to explain.

Dec 19, 2014 at 7:29 PM Post #2,934 of 14,386
  Highly recommend cables from http://www.bestintheversecables.com/  - amazing looking for a very good price. 

doesn't say what metals are used in the cables. (which I assume is the point of a custom cable).

Dec 19, 2014 at 7:56 PM Post #2,935 of 14,386
I just ordered some from Trevor at Norne Audio. Highest quality cables with awesome service. He is a true professional. Ordered the Skol 2 Litz cables. Can't wait to hear them. Also suggest Peter at Double Helix As his materials are very good as well.

Dec 19, 2014 at 7:59 PM Post #2,936 of 14,386
Just wanted to chime in on the power issue, I use the 400i with the Magni when at my computer and use with a Pico Power attached a Fiio X1. Both sound fantastic. The Pico adds a nice warmth to the sound signature. The Magni is somewhat bright and they really sing with the added power.

Dec 19, 2014 at 8:07 PM Post #2,937 of 14,386
  I'm also considering the Polaris. What settings do you use on the Polaris for the 400i's mandrake50? And what dac do you use?

I have used the NFB 11 and 28 line outs.. their internal DACs, the 47 ohm out of the Geek Out, The line out from the Explorer and Explorer 2... the ODAC, the line out from the C5D. Of course they are all a bit different. Recently I have been using the line out from the NFB 11 mostly. It sounds good and is what I have hooked up to my laptop right now... convenience! I have half of the other stuff at my office. But there I usually use the RE 600.
Interestingly, I like to Polaris better than the amps in the AudioGD NFB units. Well .. for most things. I think the Polaris is a more neutral amp. Sometime the more lush sound of the Audiogd amps is nice too though.

I use the low (.1R) output resistance with the 400i, High bandwidth (filter out) and low gain. Input attenuation out of the circuit. I have played with other settings, and some say they like what they do for different applications. I always go back to setting things so that the amp stays out of the way as much as possible.

Dec 19, 2014 at 8:21 PM Post #2,938 of 14,386

You recommend the Polaris over the Sunrise 3? Since the 400i is warm tilting, the S3 exaggerates that you think? I've been in the air about upgrading my Aune T1 to either the new Modi 2 Uber, Vali or Sunrise 3...never really thought too much about the Polaris

They are different animals. If you want to play with rolling tubes and like the tube sound it would be the Sunrise III. While I got sucked into the tube rolling thing for awhile, it is just a PIA. I found some tubes that I really like. Now I am using a Mullard NOS for both of my Sunrise IIIs I keep one at work). It sounds  very nice, but I always have this thing in the back of my mind that the tube is messing with my music. The heat sinks on the S3 get crazy hot. I have been told that it is fine, but it still bothers me. I added heat sink extensions that helped quite a bit, but it still worries me. Solely a personal hang-up I am sure.

The Polaris is more configurable, it runs stone cold, and you don't have to mess with tubes...
etysmile.gif

The Polaris uses FETs .. something that lots of vintage audiophile amps used to great effect. It gives the amp a bit of the smoothness of a tube amp (or hybrid). The Polaris also has a bit more power than the Sunrise, though I have never had any issues with the Sunrise driving anything that I have plugged into it.

If I only could keep one... it would be the Polaris.

Dec 19, 2014 at 8:37 PM Post #2,939 of 14,386
Just wanted to chime in on the power issue, I use the 400i with the Magni when at my computer and use with a Pico Power attached a Fiio X1. Both sound fantastic. The Pico adds a nice warmth to the sound signature. The Magni is somewhat bright and they really sing with the added power.

What make you say the difference is due to power and not due to the coloration (or lack of) introduced by the amp? Remember, HE-400i will sound as loud given the same power level regardless of the amp driving it,

pico power can put out 700mW @ 32 ohm load. Yes Magni can put out more power @ 1200mW but if you do the marh and listen to HE-400i you can't reach the max power output even for pico power. Not even close.

It's like you are telling me that listening to HE-400i with pico power you set it to high gain and max volume and it does not sing like it did on magni also at high gain and max volume.

Seriously, a lot of that power will go untapped at normal listening level.

Dec 19, 2014 at 8:55 PM Post #2,940 of 14,386
Sorry, some incomplete thoughts related. I realize the addition of power difference between the systems. What I was trying to relate was the coloration of the amps. The Pico is more warm while the Magni was brighter. I seem to hover to the Pico more often. I like its signature a lot. Don't get me wrong, the Magni is great for what it is, just a little sterile sometimes. I know it can depend on the source, dac and even my mood. All I was trying to relate was that the 400i responds well to amplification and sounds great regardless. Very adaptable to what I throw at it...sorry to sound like a loon. Long day and then a couple Lagunitas will do that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back