Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion
Oct 5, 2014 at 4:53 PM Post #2,371 of 14,386
Thanks for the reply. I'm not really looking for something portable but just something with enough power to run them. I do agree I find the Fiio amp a bit thin in sound.
frown.gif

But besides the O2 or E12 I'm wondering if there are any $200 amps that can drive these efficiently. I had the Aune T1 before but I didn't really like it though.

Back in time...
Try looking at a Project Polaris from Garage1217. You don't see these talked about here much, but that doesn't mean much. They should be. The Polaris has way more than enough power...and current to break the 400i...and your eardrums.. It is highly configurable. A built amp has a three year warranty.  I find that it has a signature that I prefer to the NFB 11 that I just got. (that one needs more listening time BTW). I have been real impressed with the way the 400i works with the Polaris. There is huge detailed bass, and with the right source material , the best soundstage I have heard with the 400i.

If you want to spend lots of money tube rolling, waiting half an hour to let tubes warm up and making sure bias is correct, try the Ember. I sold my Lyr 2 (yes, stock tubes)and kept my Project Sunrise III, just as a frame of reference. The Lyr is not bad, but especially for the price, I just like the overall presentation of the Sunrise. The Polaris is even better for my taste, and does not have the drawbacks of tube amps...  That is, what kind of distortion do you want today... and how many$50 to  $100 to $200 dollar tubes do you want to buy to get it???

If you have lots of time and money to throw at this, get ready to expend those on  tube based amp/DAC.
No disrespect to anyone loving this pursuit, I have done it myself with something over 25 tubes for the Sunrise. Sometimes, maybe with a person having a $200 budget, this kind of thing may not be the best to recommend...

The Polaris is a bit over the $200 budget, but not nearly what even a used Lyr 2 will cost you.

Oct 5, 2014 at 7:58 PM Post #2,372 of 14,386
As far as the headphone discussion goes, neither the LCD2 fazor or LCD3 have the impact of the HE-400's bass, IMO. You'd be hard pressed to find something with the 400's bass and not have some drawback.

Regarding the Project amps, Ember auto biases and tubes don't take more than 5 minutes or so to warm up if you have the SC upgrade. Seems like you have made up your mind about tubes though, so I guess it doesn't matter. Here's a tip: don't buy 25 tubes.

Oct 5, 2014 at 8:25 PM Post #2,373 of 14,386

Regarding the Project amps, Ember auto biases and tubes don't take more than 5 minutes or so to warm up if you have the SC upgrade. Seems like you have made up your mind about tubes though, so I guess it doesn't matter. Here's a tip: don't buy 25 tubes.

I really like the tube sound occasionally. I have had lots more than 25 tubes at times. That becomes a near full time job.  Tracking down the last tube that someone tells you is a must have!  The sometimes wonderful distortion is treasured listening, at times. 
I don't have the Ember. I have the Sunrise III, even the Ember that I played with.. wait half an hour and let it recalibrate... lots different results!

The Polaris is less expensive, never needs a new tube... no warm up to bet its best, and sounds wonderful with the 400i.
That was my point

Beyond that though,, hard to recommend this technology to anyone that asks with a $200 budget.. I don't care whether it is the Lyr or the Ember. We are talking about the 400i... the OP asked about driving it adequately!

Oct 5, 2014 at 9:29 PM Post #2,375 of 14,386

Back in time...
Try looking at a Project Polaris from Garage1217. You don't see these talked about here much, but that doesn't mean much. They should be. The Polaris has way more than enough power...and current to break the 400i...and your eardrums.. It is highly configurable. A built amp has a three year warranty.  I find that it has a signature that I prefer to the NFB 11 that I just got. (that one needs more listening time BTW). I have been real impressed with the way the 400i works with the Polaris. There is huge detailed bass, and with the right source material , the best soundstage I have heard with the 400i.

If you want to spend lots of money tube rolling, waiting half an hour to let tubes warm up and making sure bias is correct, try the Ember. I sold my Lyr 2 (yes, stock tubes)and kept my Project Sunrise III, just as a frame of reference. The Lyr is not bad, but especially for the price, I just like the overall presentation of the Sunrise. The Polaris is even better for my taste, and does not have the drawbacks of tube amps...  That is, what kind of distortion do you want today... and how many$50 to  $100 to $200 dollar tubes do you want to buy to get it???

If you have lots of time and money to throw at this, get ready to expend those on  tube based amp/DAC.
No disrespect to anyone loving this pursuit, I have done it myself with something over 25 tubes for the Sunrise. Sometimes, maybe with a person having a $200 budget, this kind of thing may not be the best to recommend...

The Polaris is a bit over the $200 budget, but not nearly what even a used Lyr 2 will cost you.

Yeah understood. I've always tried to shy away from tube amps because of the cost of tube rolling and the whole thing about the possible variables of NOS tubes from eBay and such. I went through a variety of tubes with the Aune T1 although I guess it's cheaper than the Lyr or other stuff out there. I was just curious about what good amps pair well with the 400i that might sound better than the O2 or E12 that I have as of the moment. The polaris is definitely interesting and I will look into it but I've decided on the Lyr 2 on the basis that it seems to match well with the HE-560 that I want to upgrade to in the future or perhaps an LCD-2 if I decide to go back to Audeze again. I hope this kinda makes sense. Curious about the polaris though, can it drive an LCD-2 or similar? 

Oct 5, 2014 at 10:01 PM Post #2,378 of 14,386
  Tube rolling isn't that expensive for the Ember. Amperex tubes are about as good as it gets for this amp, and they can be had for $20 on Ebay. 

I actually just ordered an Amperex Bugle Boy 6DJ8 today 
biggrin.gif
. It will be my 4th tube, hopefully the last. The others were really cheap though, $10 at a local shop.

Oct 5, 2014 at 10:21 PM Post #2,381 of 14,386
So wha
I actually just ordered an Amperex Bugle Boy 6DJ8 today :D . It will be my 4th tube, hopefully the last. The others were really cheap though, $10 at a local shop.
[/qu so whats a good tube amp that sounds better than the asgard 2

The schiit audio lyr 2 is a great hybrid tube amp, which really makes the HE-400I sing like a muse of fire.

Oct 5, 2014 at 10:22 PM Post #2,382 of 14,386

The polaris is definitely interesting and I will look into it but I've decided on the Lyr 2 on the basis that it seems to match well with the HE-560 that I want to upgrade to in the future or perhaps an LCD-2

I am sure you will not be disappointed... virtually everyone says it works with the 560.
Can you do better for less?
Take a look at this thread, especially the last page or two.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/725896/new-from-garage1217-the-solid-state-project-polaris/270#post_10937406

I have never listened to any Audeze phones. Maybe I can remedy that at RMAF next weekend... but I am not dragging the Polaris with me..

Oct 5, 2014 at 11:42 PM Post #2,383 of 14,386

I actually just ordered an Amperex Bugle Boy 6DJ8 today 
biggrin.gif
. It will be my 4th tube, hopefully the last. The others were really cheap though, $10 at a local shop.

Until 250 to 500 hours passes.. then it will be mostly shot, compared to what it is new...

Oct 5, 2014 at 11:52 PM Post #2,384 of 14,386
  I am sure you will not be disappointed... virtually everyone says it works with the 560.
Can you do better for less?
Take a look at this thread, especially the last page or two.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/725896/new-from-garage1217-the-solid-state-project-polaris/270#post_10937406

I have never listened to any Audeze phones. Maybe I can remedy that at RMAF next weekend... but I am not dragging the Polaris with me..

Thanks I'm gonna check it out. Most likely I'm getting it if it can power the HE-560 + the fact that it's solid state means I won't have to worry about extra money on tubes. I just didn't like how Audeze treble is just way too passive for me while everything is so dynamic, it's like out of place but I don't know how much they improved on it after putting Fazor technology on it. Enjoy RMAF though! P.S. the LCD-X is the best headphones I've ever tried so be sure to give them a listen.

Oct 5, 2014 at 11:57 PM Post #2,385 of 14,386

Users who are viewing this thread

Back