Hifiman HE-400i and HE-560: From CES to Pre-Launch
Feb 27, 2014 at 2:49 PM Post #2,101 of 3,091
  It ain't black and white. FR relates to sound quality to some extend and isn't just coloration like warm, dark, bright. I suppose nobody likes unnatural and jacked mids and highs that sound way 'off'? The FR will on the other hand also affect imaging, perceived detail extraction and soundstage to some degree. Good luck creating a superb soundstage and imaging in a headphone with a 20 dB treble roll off...

Personally, I won't officially be on the market before hifiman has released the 560 and 400i along with their Jade 2 and the new fostex and oppo is out.

+1.  As I simplified it, FR and SQ are directly related without going into too much detail.

Feb 27, 2014 at 2:52 PM Post #2,102 of 3,091
  In terms of tonality (frequency response), you guys should just go out and buy a HD600 and tune the 400i exactly the way it sounds. And I mean exactly.

For the HE-560, go out and get the Focal Spirit Professional and tune it exactly the way it sounds. Seriously, Dr. Fang if you do this you will destroy Audez'e/Sennheiser and become the #1 headphone company. Haha.
evil_smiley.gif

Good luck destroying the HD800 and HE-6 for that matter. 2 of the headphones I hold in the highest esteem, measure amazing, sound amazing and you can't expect anyone to best them, not even fang IMO. Making something equally good but different, maybe with more neutral frequency response would be a feat in itself.

Feb 27, 2014 at 2:54 PM Post #2,103 of 3,091
  Good luck destroying the HD800 and HE-6 for that matter. 2 of the headphones I hold in the highest esteem, measure amazing, sound amazing and you can't expect anyone to best them, not even fang IMO. Making something equally good but different, maybe with more neutral frequency response would be a feat in itself.

I was half kidding. Don't be so...
rolleyes.gif
(I forgot on head-fi I can't use words like "destroy" or people get upset and the antihype police come down on me hard. I meant to say "a little tiny tiny tiny wee bit better (maybe?)"

*Anyway, I'm sure Dr. Fang is aware of the HD600's signature. I just thought he should hear the Spirit Pro, cuz the tonality on it is just beautifully neutral. Neutrality done right.

Feb 27, 2014 at 3:04 PM Post #2,104 of 3,091
+1.  As I simplified it, FR and SQ are directly related without going into too much detail.
But you guys are exaggerating my point. Of course at 20db changes FR will affect sound...no schiit. But with little changes, you make a unique sounding headphone with little change in those departments.

Feb 27, 2014 at 3:35 PM Post #2,106 of 3,091

But these headphones require adding warmth (and distortion) in the DAC and/or amp to really sound true-to-life.
They are too bright to be considered neutral, IMO.

The Focal Spirit Pro on the other hand, is very close to my neutral reference. While it sounds slightly too dark on my systems (warmish and smooth to accommodate for the Hifiman house-sound), I could experience a GREAT tonality out of the DA8 internal amp (leaner than my other gear and also more neutral).

To match my preference, the HE-6 (and HE-5LE) need more meat to the bones than what the DA8 + EF6 provides for my regular music  (70-80s rock).
A SA-31 would do wonder here.

Putting the SA-2 fleshes out the mids to an appropriate level, at the expense of a lack of energy (bite, PRaT) compared to the Yulong. Cruel world.

Feb 27, 2014 at 3:53 PM Post #2,107 of 3,091
  But these headphones require adding warmth (and distortion) in the DAC and/or amp to really sound true-to-life.

The Focal Spirit Pro on the other hand, is very close to my neutral reference. While it sounds slightly too dark on my systems (warmish and smooth to accommodate for the Hifiman house-sound), I could experience a GREAT tonality out of the DA8 internal amp (leaner than my other gear and also more neutral).

To match my preference, the HE-6 (and HE-5LE) need more meat to the bones than what the DA8 + EF6 provides for my regular music  (70-80s rock).

Putting the SA-2 fleshes out the mids to an appropriate level, at the expense of a lack of energy (bite, PRaT) compared to the Yulong. Cruel world.

I feel the same. As much as I can appreciate a super-revealing headphone, I would much prefer a musical approach even if it sacrifices a tiny bit of analytical performance. I fall in love with headphones like T1s and HE-500s whereas I appreciate headphones like HD800s. I always prefer love!
tongue_smile.gif

Feb 27, 2014 at 4:13 PM Post #2,108 of 3,091
  I'm curious to see how these compare against the new Fostex Planers that are coming out this Summer. Its going to be reading the comparison test between the two. People saying that the HE-560 is a clear upgrade to the HE-500 is already impressive before taking in account the weight. Its going be an exciting year for new releases 
beerchug.gif

Thanks,

evil_smiley.gif

Do you have link to more info of new Fostex? Thanks

Feb 27, 2014 at 4:29 PM Post #2,110 of 3,091

You are mostly right about that, methinks. We need some more headphones that can compare to the TOTL stuff like the 2 mentioned above.. While retaining a neutral sound. 
Oth I can't help myself thinking that the hd800 must be very, very easy to eq to sound more neutral due to the very linear FR. I have not lived with it, though, but that'd be the first thing for me to do when/if I get one. Shelve down the treble a little and perhaps add a little sub bass. Easy peasy.

Feb 27, 2014 at 5:04 PM Post #2,111 of 3,091

I hope the 560 will be the HE-6 with a bit more meat to the bones... Same quality of course :] That'd be amazing 
very_evil_smiley.gif

That was basically my only complaint with the HE-6, it sometimes felt too light [guess because of the smooth mids] and lacked a bit of weight to the sound... I guess a slight bump in the midrange [1-6khz] would be just what the doctor ordered IMO... 
gs1000.gif

Also hope the bass roll-off from the HE-6 won't be carried over...

Feb 27, 2014 at 5:21 PM Post #2,112 of 3,091
While I certainly appreciate and respect the technical attributes of both the he6 and hd800, ultimately neither is a daily driver for me. The signature of the he500 hits the sweet spot for me though. So based on the early information that has been provided, I feel that the he400i may be the one for me. 

I'll be patient though, and wait for jerg's feedback and impressions on the 560...you never know. 

Feb 27, 2014 at 6:22 PM Post #2,114 of 3,091

I'm curious to see how these compare against the new Fostex Planers that are coming out this Summer. Its going to be reading the comparison test between the two. People saying that the HE-560 is a clear upgrade to the HE-500 is already impressive before taking in account the weight. Its going be an exciting year for new releases 
beerchug.gif

Thanks,

evil_smiley.gif

Do you have link to more info of new Fostex? Thanks

http://www.head-fi.org/t/684441/new-fostex-rp-open-backed-planar-magnetic-headphone-update-prototype-revealed-at-canjam-2013

Yah that's the right one. Very interesting stuff there. The new Fostex will be priced around $600-$800 so they will directly compete with the HE-560. It's going to be a killer show down! 

Thanks,

evil_smiley.gif

Feb 27, 2014 at 6:26 PM Post #2,115 of 3,091
  While I certainly appreciate and respect the technical attributes of both the he6 and hd800, ultimately neither is a daily driver for me. The signature of the he500 hits the sweet spot for me though. So based on the early information that has been provided, I feel that the he400i may be the one for me. 

I'll be patient though, and wait for jerg's feedback and impressions on the 560...you never know. 

+1.  Owing both HD800 and HE500, I agree with you 100%.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back