Hifiman HE-400i and HE-560: From CES to Pre-Launch
Feb 2, 2014 at 4:58 PM Post #1,366 of 3,091
Feb 2, 2014 at 5:19 PM Post #1,367 of 3,091

apparently, there were different version of he400i & he560 in different colors according to the reviewer or whatever as he was adamant that he didn't mess up the colors, and source-checked everything. who knows tho

Quote on the threads of that website from the author: Chris Thomas

These were labeled the HE 560 at the hotel. After our demo and visit, we triple checked the specs and features with HiFiMan CEO Dr. Fang Bian before publish. It's possible that the pre-production unit was meant for audio demo purposes and had a different casing, which happens often with new headphone models. Note the lack of model name on the band, for instance.

In any case, the guts under the hood are impressive, no matter the casing.

The CNET piece had the HE 560 in wood, so it's also possible some minor details are still being decided, and the intended final version will have the teakwood (the latest specs we were given seem to indicate this). It wouldn't be the first time I've seen display models have their aesthetics differ from their final production unit, in any case—it's very common with first-run models, especially when they have as much effort poured into them as this unit obviously has.

With any luck, we'll be able to get a unit in for testing this year, and in that event there will be pictures of the final production model.
Thanks for reading!

EDIT: We added a video with some footage of the HE 560 demo unit, with a better look at the pads, wear, and casing. Hope that helps! :)

PS— PR confirms the HE 560 will be in teakwood at launch.

Feb 2, 2014 at 8:36 PM Post #1,370 of 3,091
  How is teak wood for cracking? I suppose it'd be a stronger type being used in outdoor furniture.

I'm pretty confident in the hifiman's being durable enough to last.

Also my HD800 is 2 years old with no dings or paint flaking at all. I've dropped it once or twice from sitting with no trouble. HE500 has taken a few falls as well without damage. As far as headphone weight goes, I've worn the LCD2.2 and HE500 for up to 5-6 hours at a time without difficulty and I'm not a big person 5'3.

I have no honest idea how the wood would be, but seeing as Hifiman Dealt with craking on the initial run of the HE-5 Right? I would REALLY hope they have addressed that problem for the return of wood,

how ever there are many custom wood workers here on head fi how could make a replacement wood Driver houseing, I saw an semi Open back Wood CUp for a D2k the other day, if you really like wood I'm sure some one will come up with modded wood back for the HE 560 soon lol

Feb 2, 2014 at 9:35 PM Post #1,371 of 3,091
So because the He-400i and the He-560 were announced is this the reason for the drop in the He-500 price. I would have considered the He-560 but I don't really like the wood construction and it reminds me of the He-5 which had numerous design issues especially with the wood cracking.

Feb 2, 2014 at 10:49 PM Post #1,372 of 3,091
Teak is well known for being durable and water/mold resistant.  My cousin had a entire dining table and chair set made of teak that set is heavy as hell and feels like it can take quite a beating.  I don't think cracking will be a problem.

Feb 3, 2014 at 4:37 AM Post #1,373 of 3,091
Although teak is pretty durable, it can crack. I presume Hifiman wouldn't want to deal with cracking wood cup issues again, so I think they'd make sure that it works well this time.

I'm not sure how much of an effect wood has on sound quality on an open headphone (probably not much), but it certainly is light and handsome. 

Feb 3, 2014 at 8:30 AM Post #1,375 of 3,091
Apparently the 560 and the 400i will start shipping in March so we can then take a look and see how durable the construction and materials are. However going from 500g to 380g is a big change and should make it more lighter and comfortable. The headband construction is an interesting design and certainly reminds me of Akg.

Who says shipping in March? I don't believe that there are any hard ship dates yet...just projections. Last I heard from hifiman is that April was more realistic. 

Feb 3, 2014 at 8:31 AM Post #1,376 of 3,091
Suspension designs are ridiculously comfortable. New headband, new pads, new wood work, and better sound (fingers crossed) are awesome changes, and well worth it at $300 IMHO...

Feb 3, 2014 at 8:57 AM Post #1,378 of 3,091
CNET said their shipping in March in their preview article.

And Hifiman said that April is more likely. Which one are you gonna believe, the developer/manufacturer, or the journalist?

Feb 3, 2014 at 9:04 AM Post #1,379 of 3,091
In fairness, they are still tweaking the design and drivers. While I'd love to see pre-order this month and shipping in March, I think that April shipping is more likely. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back