Hifiman HE-400i and HE-560: From CES to Pre-Launch
Jan 31, 2014 at 2:31 PM Post #1,321 of 3,091
Maybe it's a matter of resources.  If the same group of people is assembling the new ones, perhaps it's too expensive to employ more people just to make headphones they are thinking about phasing out.  It's not like HFM will be incapable of manufacturing more HE-500s.  I have no idea how long it takes to produce one pair, but if they've got current stock, it makes sense to focus on producing the new models.  Once the initial demand is met and sufficient stock accumulated, perhaps they'll make more HE-500s, assuming depleted stock and continuing demand.

Again, without detailed knowledge of the production process and cycle(s), it's speculation.  Yeah, I know the HFM rep said the plan is to discontinue the HE-500s.  Plans change, eh?  Seems to me a small company can be flexible in its decisions.

On the other hand, maybe the workers need to be re-trained each time there's a production run for a specific model.  I read recently that some tube manufacturers needed to re-train their employees for six(?) weeks prior to a production run of tubes they'd made in the past.  That was an eye-opener.

Just sayin'...

Jan 31, 2014 at 2:45 PM Post #1,322 of 3,091
  From a business perspective, why would a company gets rid of its successful products unless the company is absolutely sure that the new products will be at least as good or better?
I would never take such risk.  With that logic, I am pretty confident that the new HPs from HFM should be just as competent at the least.

+1
Looking forward to the new products. I'm sure Fang is bringing his A game.

Maybe they can't handle inventory for all new models as well as old. It isn't uncommon for such a small operation company. 

+1
My thoughts exactly. There is a certain cost involved in keeping an older model around, and HifiMan doesn't want to put up with it.

Again, without detailed knowledge of the production process and cycle(s), it's speculation.  Yeah, I know the HFM rep said the plan is to discontinue the HE-500s.  Plans change, eh?  Seems to me a small company can be flexible in its decisions.

Great point Thurston.

Jan 31, 2014 at 2:54 PM Post #1,323 of 3,091
This is essentially my take on the sound...For me the decision will depend on many factors with the most important being air, imaging, bite (which might be just what the HE-6 lacked at times, with the general HFM shared midrange dip) and soundstage roundness (rather than calling it even depth and width), which should be improved with the angled pads.
Those are factors that can possibly make my perfect headphone out of either the 400i or 560.

To a certain degree my two favorite headphones come to mind, the K612 Pros (which has great soundstage, bite and amazing inaging but ultimately lacks the air I seek and the treble could be a hair less strident and smooth) and the. MA900 (with good amount of air, bite and soundstage. The imaging however is not as great as I'd like... And at times makes sounds a bit indistinct. Other drawbacks being the highs with little extension and the comfort is somewhat temperamental).

With the HE-6 still being my ultimate reference headphone, save for maybe a the less bite part (making me turn the volume way up... And so did others wink.gif) and the bass, which is great, but distorted with certain gaming elements (any bigger explosions most notably) and had a simewhat uneven punch (due to the roll-off too, I imagine). I still really loved the headphone, save for weight and rarely comfort due to it (headband pressure)

I like a detailed, natural sound with that orthodynamic character.

So I certainly hope either of these fit my bill ( I mean I HAVE TO choose one... So the one closest to my reference)

Certainly eagerly awaiting first in-depth impressions popcorn.gif

Jan 31, 2014 at 3:53 PM Post #1,324 of 3,091
--- the he500 started at 899 at launch as well.  I dont know how much the he400 was when it first came out. Im sure it was a lot closer to the he400i current price. I wonder if we can expect to see price drops on these as fast as we saw it on the he500. 

anywho whatever. I am too anxious to wait until april to buy one. The need to have preorders like... now..

Jan 31, 2014 at 4:13 PM Post #1,325 of 3,091
Well if they feel strongly enough about the 560 to have it flat out replace the 500 which is a much loved headphone, that could be an extremely good thing.

Jan 31, 2014 at 4:29 PM Post #1,326 of 3,091
  --- the he500 started at 899 at launch as well.  I dont know how much the he400 was when it first came out. Im sure it was a lot closer to the he400i current price. I wonder if we can expect to see price drops on these as fast as we saw it on the he500. 

anywho whatever. I am too anxious to wait until april to buy one. The need to have preorders like... now..

The HE-400 was $399 at launch, but there was a discount for pre-ordering folks of -$50. But then the initial batch had problems to say the least, haha. Disaster strikes!

I hope Hifiman does a much MUCH better job of QA and launching flawless products this time around. For the love of god please please no wood cracking issues!

Jan 31, 2014 at 4:34 PM Post #1,327 of 3,091

The HE-400 was $399 at launch, but there was a discount for pre-ordering folks of -$50. But then the initial batch had problems to say the least, haha. Disaster strikes!

I hope Hifiman does a much MUCH better job of QA and launching flawless products this time around. For the love of god please please no wood cracking issues!

It's the previous history of problems with the initial run of headphones, and not just with Hifiman, that makes me want to wait to order.  The pre-order at a discount is tempting, but with all the revisions the HE-400 went through, I'd pay the extra $100 (or however much) to not deal with returns, etc.

Jan 31, 2014 at 5:15 PM Post #1,328 of 3,091
When getting any headphones I want good return privileges. With the he400i I have no idea on how that is going to sound since HiFi MAN is still tweeting them. The only model I have been very impressed with is the HE-6. The bigger question is what would these new models bring to the table that my Sony 7520 can not?

Jan 31, 2014 at 5:25 PM Post #1,329 of 3,091
When getting any headphones I want good return privileges. With the he400i I have no idea on how that is going to sound since HiFi MAN is still tweeting them. The only model I have been very impressed with is the HE-6. The bigger question is what would these new models bring to the table that my Sony 7520 can not?

The planarmagnetic sound :wink:

Jan 31, 2014 at 6:31 PM Post #1,330 of 3,091
The planarmagnetic sound
wink.gif

which is linear low mids and Bass [from Sub to mid] along with great speed and depth and seperation 

I also own the HE 4 now u guys :3 I'm back in the Planar Club :D

Jan 31, 2014 at 10:02 PM Post #1,331 of 3,091
I wouldn't mind if the HE-400i's upper mids were brought up maybe 1-2db more compared to the HE-400's, and I would definitely want to see a more tame mid-upper treble, but I also definitely wouldn't want a complete change of the sound signature-- especially since  Hifiman is replacing it.  A whole lot of the magic in the HE-400 (big bass, textured and layered sound) comes from the unique coloration it imposes on the upper mids.  In all honestly no other headphone I've heard brings out as much instrument separation in the lower midrange because of it.  Not even the LCD or HD800.  It honestly looks as though to me that no headphone has what I'm looking for besides maybe an Abyss or Omega2 MK1.

If you were to take HE-400's sound, tame the upper treble, bring the upper mids up a very minute amount, and get rid of any distortion and resonance problems, then you have my 100% backing.  That would be the upgrade I'd be looking for.

Feb 1, 2014 at 1:05 AM Post #1,332 of 3,091
  I wouldn't mind if the HE-400i's upper mids were brought up maybe 1-2db more compared to the HE-400's, and I would definitely want to see a more tame mid-upper treble, but I also definitely wouldn't want a complete change of the sound signature-- especially since  Hifiman is replacing it.  A whole lot of the magic in the HE-400 (big bass, textured and layered sound) comes from the unique coloration it imposes on the upper mids.  In all honestly no other headphone I've heard brings out as much instrument separation in the lower midrange because of it.  Not even the LCD or HD800.  It honestly looks as though to me that no headphone has what I'm looking for besides maybe an Abyss or Omega2 MK1.

If you were to take HE-400's sound, tame the upper treble, bring the upper mids up a very minute amount, and get rid of any distortion and resonance problems, then you have my 100% backing.  That would be the upgrade I'd be looking for.

how does the HE 4 compare to the HE 400's Instrument seperation and layered sound? 

I don't expect the HE 4 to have the HE 400 bass, but I do expect everything else 

Feb 1, 2014 at 1:36 AM Post #1,333 of 3,091
  how does the HE 4 compare to the HE 400's Instrument seperation and layered sound? 

I don't expect the HE 4 to have the HE 400 bass, but I do expect everything else 

basically just imagine your ideal perfect sound quality & sound signature... :wink: hahah

Feb 1, 2014 at 1:43 AM Post #1,334 of 3,091
The HE-4 has very good bass. Tight, clean and impactful but not as thumpy and thick.
It is a U-shaped kind of bass, that IMO works great for fast paced music.

Details and instrument separation is better on the 4s. The 400s have more forward (half)mids that are closer to the 500s in that they are on the lush side - and maybe more detailed.

As for the treble, there is no comparison. The 400s are flawed (zingy as hell) when the 4s are elevated but without spikes.

Soundstage is also bigger on the 4s. Sound is more airy and clean when the 400s are warm, dark and intimate.

If the 400i fix the upper mid issue (lacking) and evens out the treble, it will indeed be close to the 500, and one hell of a headphone for $500!

Feb 1, 2014 at 1:47 AM Post #1,335 of 3,091
  basically just imagine your ideal perfect sound quality & sound signature... :wink: hahah

Yea that's kinda why I just bought one ;3 looking forward to how it compares directly to my DT 880! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back