Hifiman HE-400i and HE-560: From CES to Pre-Launch
Jan 10, 2014 at 9:20 PM Post #318 of 3,091

It i stiff and flimsy. It makes mechanical noise when you move your head. And it breaks easily at the connectors, at least mine did. Got a replacement though. Now I have 3 thirdparty cables for my two hifimans :)

Thanks, I only remember the clear copper one from when I had my HE-6 and I didn't remember having any issues with it.  I like the DHC cables ease of use best myself out of botique cables at least.

Jan 10, 2014 at 9:22 PM Post #319 of 3,091
It sure doesn't look anything like a Jade 2 prototype or anything.  
wink.gif

Jan 10, 2014 at 9:27 PM Post #320 of 3,091
I'm with you on that one Matt.  May just be enough to bring me back into the HiFiMAN fold.
Quote:
  ^^ Almost half the weight and price. As long as it delivers performance in the neighborhood. Things could get very interesting around here...

popcorn.gif

Jan 10, 2014 at 9:32 PM Post #321 of 3,091
I usually exercise caution on matters such as this...but in this case I simply throw caution to the wind. Unless something dramatic unfolds as the details and impressions come out, I'll own one of these in March. 

The only disappointment for me is the connectors. But in business terms, they've made the decisions to use these and it would be difficult to make a change if you think about it. Dang I wish they had gone to mini xlr for so many reasons. I tried to talk Dan into mini xlr for the AD, but does anyone listen to MattTCG? Nope...

Jan 10, 2014 at 9:34 PM Post #322 of 3,091
Lol I hear you Matt...

I'll probably get in on these too. Or at least put those sexy leather pads on my 500 :p

Jan 10, 2014 at 9:41 PM Post #324 of 3,091
I'll feel better once the reviewers get a hold of these. If I were Fang, I would drop these in the lap of a few choice headfiers and sit back and watch the excitement build like wildfire. First headfier on my list...MLE. That guy can write. Honest, accurate and very accessible writing style.

Jan 10, 2014 at 9:50 PM Post #325 of 3,091
  Looking forward to the HE-560.  Hoping the ear cup hangers would be made of metal and the head band sling were made of leather.

Oh wait, this is not the HE-560...

Ok.... tell us!!!! Limited edition colors or a whole new model?! Spill it Edwood!

Jan 10, 2014 at 9:56 PM Post #328 of 3,091
^Funny. And just when I thought Hifiman was desperately in need of a refresh or new model in their upper echelon, they already strategically have a one, two punch ready to challenge the entire high end market.  Time will tell on the sound of both.  At least they've addressed the abysmally flimsy headband on the Jade.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back