Hifiman HE-400i and HE-560: From CES to Pre-Launch
Mar 22, 2014 at 7:43 PM Post #2,732 of 3,091
If you want more speaker then headphone then you'd need more space from the ear to get the depth and a near perfect frequency response so multiple drivers or a coaxial design would be needed which would also involve crossovers. I suggest just getting a car with a decent sound system and a big sun roof or moon roof and just go for a drive. My car has a premium sound system and I love listening to music in it. More so than my towers at home sometimes.

A car is potentially what I described....an isolated chamber for sound with potentially ideally placed speakers that create the ultimate illusion of sound. A little bigger and typically more expensive than I was thinking, but I could shop around for a used luxury car.....maybe one with engine problems so I can get it for a good price! I know a lot of luxury cars now come with sound systems designed by well known sound engineers like these:
http://jalopnik.com/the-ten-most-unbelievable-in-car-audio-systems-597594908

If I sat out in the garage and listened to music, it would definitely not bother my wife.  And I guess if push came to shove, I could also drive around in it.
tongue.gif

I will have to start going to car dealerships and doing a test drive without going anywhere. That will blow the salesperson's mind.

And of course if someone wanted to do some modding, you could really get into trying different speaker placements and so forth. I guess others have gone down this road before, although I think they were possibly interested in creating realistic levels of bass to fill the entire neighborhood more than audiophile sound:

Mar 22, 2014 at 7:53 PM Post #2,733 of 3,091
  Why would anyone want this? My main reason for listening to headphones is because my wife does not like the same music as me, so I want to have the sound isolation of completely personal listening. And since I can't afford a sound-proofed dedicated listening room, I am therefore stuck with the inherent limitations of headphone sound. Why not something in between the two extremes?

Anyone out there who can create my dream?

Sorry for hijacking this thread....but it does help pass the time until the HE560 is released 
rolleyes.gif

Man, look no further.  You want a BONE FONE!

Mar 22, 2014 at 8:18 PM Post #2,736 of 3,091
It would be nice if I could come into a thread after seeing it has new posts and not have to read through a bunch of garbage.

Sigh... +1.
But truth be told, the review samples should have been under the magnifying glass by now and the retails shipping...

I just want my 560 ;(

Mar 22, 2014 at 8:25 PM Post #2,738 of 3,091
  I thought the 560 was going to make an appearance at the socal meet, but it looks like it didn't show up?

Maybe it's because of the delay. Supposedly HFM was ready to send out the early test samples during the week of Mar 9-15, but something held em up and the earliest we'll be getting em is sometime next week.

Mar 22, 2014 at 8:25 PM Post #2,739 of 3,091
  ^I was thinking speakers attached to a wreath/crown/collar or some other contraption, perhaps for surround or something?

On another note, anyone tried the imaginary HEX from Hifiman? It is said to have a diaphragm lighter than air, so you must store it in one of these, at all times filled with helium:

It is a little bright and nasal, but it sounds soooo good.

I could really see Hifiman coming out with a headphone called the HEx or something like that. I mean, what is it with their numbering of models? REO then RE-Zero, then RE 262 and 272, then RE400 and 600. Why not just RE100, RE200, RE300, RE 400 etc. Same with their fullsize cans: why do we have the 400 becoming the 400i while the 500 becomes the 560.

Maybe it has to do with lucky numbers in China.

Mar 22, 2014 at 8:27 PM Post #2,740 of 3,091
  I got a PM from someone some weeks ago asking me to just mail him the not-yet-received (which holds true even now) HE560s for the SoCal meetup, I was like "wut" on multiple levels.

I asked about borrowing it for the Seattle meet in April 26th meet but maybe now it won't be out even then? Speculation station!

Mar 22, 2014 at 8:28 PM Post #2,741 of 3,091
  It would be nice if I could come into a thread after seeing it has new posts and not have to read through a bunch of garbage.

Even though I started the garbage this time, this is headfi so not gonna happen. Especially when there is not much more to say about a headphone that has not been released yet.

Mar 22, 2014 at 8:29 PM Post #2,743 of 3,091

I asked about borrowing it for the Seattle meet in April 26th meet but maybe now it won't be out even then? Speculation station!

I'm planning to do a very comprehensive review (complete with burn-in, comparisons with older HFM models, as well as maybe even some preliminary mods) rather than just a quick pass-over impression post, so this delay in getting the unit will push that back even more.

Mar 22, 2014 at 9:21 PM Post #2,744 of 3,091
I could really see Hifiman coming out with a headphone called the HEx or something like that. I mean, what is it with their numbering of models? REO then RE-Zero, then RE 262 and 272, then RE400 and 600. Why not just RE100, RE200, RE300, RE 400 etc. Same with their fullsize cans: why do we have the 400 becoming the 400i while the 500 becomes the 560.

Maybe it has to do with lucky numbers in China.

Been there, done that 
wink.gif

http://www.head-fi.org/t/698831/fresh-outta-ces-the-hifiman-he-400i-and-he-560/735#post_10171788

watch the vid, it's worth the listen 
darthsmile.gif

I hardly wait for these sinister cans to roll out for real.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back