Hifiman He-400 or He-500?
Oct 25, 2013 at 4:05 PM Post #406 of 510
Don't forget the cable. Unless you're DIYing
Koiloco generously sent me his old cable to use with my denon receiver meanwhile. I'll be set for when I get the emotiva. The receiver isn't really mine so I can't use it as my primary amp. It's more like a little treat now and then to see what the he-500 is like fully amped :p

Oct 25, 2013 at 5:13 PM Post #407 of 510

Better enrol in logic 101 and learn what a valid logical deduction consists of is what I say to that.  As to the rest of the argument it's largely a glass half full/glass half empty case.  

Why did I even bother?  You are of course correct.  I would "need" to go back to college.  It has been too long for me...  

Oct 25, 2013 at 5:17 PM Post #408 of 510
Koiloco generously sent me his old cable to use with my denon receiver meanwhile. I'll be set for when I get the emotiva. The receiver isn't really mine so I can't use it as my primary amp. It's more like a little treat now and then to see what the he-500 is like fully amped :p
geez you're lucky

Oct 25, 2013 at 5:22 PM Post #409 of 510
geez you're lucky

Yeah, he's a very nice and helpful guy. Both him and Modulor have been extremely helpful and sometimes even entertaining to talk to. TBH, words cannot express how much I respect them for all of their help and for that adapter that Koiloco sent me.

Oct 26, 2013 at 12:58 PM Post #410 of 510
Hey guys, so I have the same dilemma as the OP.
I currently own a pair of DT770 premiums and D2000 (Mark-L modded with woodies) and am looking for my third pair of headphones. I've managed to narrow it down to either the HE-400 or HE-500. Yes, I'm a basshead, in case you didn't realize by my choice of headphones =P
My current setup is pc->modi->magni->headphones. I do not plan on upgrading my amp/dac any time soon as I rather spend money on different headphones than on another dac/amp.

With this setup is it worth it getting the higher end HE-500 for the extra money or do you think the HE-400 are better suited for this setup?
If I do get another amp and that's a big if, it would probably be the upcoming schiit vali as I have been craving a tube amp for a while and schiit audio has done really well to keep me satisfied.

Oct 26, 2013 at 1:11 PM Post #411 of 510
  Hey guys, so I have the same dilemma as the OP.
I currently own a pair of DT770 premiums and D2000 (Mark-L modded with woodies) and am looking for my third pair of headphones. I've managed to narrow it down to either the HE-400 or HE-500. Yes, I'm a basshead, in case you didn't realize by my choice of headphones =P
My current setup is pc->modi->magni->headphones. I do not plan on upgrading my amp/dac any time soon as I rather spend money on different headphones than on another dac/amp.

With this setup is it worth it getting the higher end HE-500 for the extra money or do you think the HE-400 are better suited for this setup?
If I do get another amp and that's a big if, it would probably be the upcoming schiit vali as I have been craving a tube amp for a while and schiit audio has done really well to keep me satisfied.

For your situation, preference, and not planning to upgrading amp/dac any time soon, go with HE-400.  Cheaper and fit what you are looking for.  I personally do not own HE400 but back then when I purchased my HE500 and the general consensus was the HE-400 seems to have more bass than HE500.  On the other side of the coin, if you can afford it now and later upgrade amp, the HE500 will be very enjoyable and probably will satisfy you more in the long run.

Oct 26, 2013 at 2:10 PM Post #413 of 510
But he's a basshead so not really

Oct 26, 2013 at 10:21 PM Post #414 of 510
Im going to throw in there the fostex th600 seems to fit in there with your choices. Might be a litttle bit more expensive at $799.00 on amazon.

Oct 27, 2013 at 12:38 AM Post #415 of 510
  For your situation, preference, and not planning to upgrading amp/dac any time soon, go with HE-400.  Cheaper and fit what you are looking for.  I personally do not own HE400 but back then when I purchased my HE500 and the general consensus was the HE-400 seems to have more bass than HE500.  On the other side of the coin, if you can afford it now and later upgrade amp, the HE500 will be very enjoyable and probably will satisfy you more in the long run.

I can afford it, I just don't want to feel the need to upgrade my setup cause I will end up doing so therefore spending more money and I will blame all on you lot! hahaha
I like the idea of the HE-400 fitting nicely into my current setup without any need to upgrade or modify anything, while saving enough money to expand a little more.

Go with the he500 much better rounded phone

But he's a basshead so not really

It's really a tough choice, I wonder how different these are from one another in this department, if the difference is marginal then I would definitely consider going for the HE-500 just for the potential. But if the HE-400 was to benefit more from my setup then maybe that would be the way to go and I could even see myself getting another amp with the savings. If my setup is good enough to power the HE-500 to a point where I won't feel disappointed and the need to upgrade the rest of my setup for at least a year then that would definitely be something I'd be interested in as that would probably be the next time I update my dac and amp.

Im going to throw in there the fostex th600 seems to fit in there with your choices. Might be a litttle bit more expensive at $799.00 on amazon.

You're killing me! I'm trying to save some money here! =P
I totally thought those were in the 1k range! Might be worth looking into! My wallet officially hates you btw.

Thank you all by the way!!!! =D

Oct 27, 2013 at 12:58 AM Post #416 of 510
Yeah, the main reason that I'm not saying much is that I don't have much experience with other headphones. I can definitely say that if you care more about bass in general vs just having the "fun" factor of bass then the HE-500 might be the better choice. The bass is fantastic, and the impact is still there because of the sub bass extension, but like I said, the "fun" bass isn't there.

Oct 27, 2013 at 1:49 AM Post #417 of 510
  I can afford it, I just don't want to feel the need to upgrade my setup cause I will end up doing so therefore spending more money and I will blame all on you lot! hahaha
I like the idea of the HE-400 fitting nicely into my current setup without any need to upgrade or modify anything, while saving enough money to expand a little more.

If my setup is good enough to power the HE-500 to a point where I won't feel disappointed and the need to upgrade the rest of my setup for at least a year then that would definitely be something I'd be interested in as that would probably be the next time I update my dac and amp.

Thank you all by the way!!!! =D

From my brief comparison and experience with the magni driving my HE500,  I will venture to say you will get around 70 - 80% the potential of the HE500 which is still very enjoyable.  If you want the rest of what HE500 can offer, keep your dac, get Emotiva Mini-X for $169 and get ready to be rocked. 

Oct 27, 2013 at 7:00 PM Post #418 of 510
Thank you all for the input!
I have decided to go with the HE-400, I have found a second hand pair for 300 and given that the HE-500 cost more than twice that, I feel like its a great chance for me to try them out while saving some money. When I get a better setup that's more fit for the HE-500 I will upgrade, but for the time being the HE-400 will have to do.

Oct 27, 2013 at 7:17 PM Post #419 of 510
Gratz! Any new HP is always fun to have.  
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back