**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Aug 2, 2013 at 4:07 AM Post #11,896 of 22,116
Hello everyone! I'm currently experiencing a few problems with my HE-400s and I'm going to have to send them in for repair, and I decided to check out Head-Fi since I haven't been here since around March! (been so happy with my headphones that I haven't felt the need to keep up-to-date with everything else) So, has anything changed in the time I've been gone? New revisions, etc?

Aug 2, 2013 at 4:23 AM Post #11,897 of 22,116
I wonder why this weight thing is so subjective.
I have a rather thin neck and most time i had problems with my neck cracking often. Since i use the HE-400 I actually dont have neck pain anymore and the cracking is gone.
Almost as if my neck muscles have gotten stronger.
On the pressure thing, I had it on the top of my head but seems I got used to it, and after changing to the beyer pads, the comfort around the ears is great.

All in all, I do feel they are too heavy and huge (especially for their own safety).

Aug 2, 2013 at 8:25 PM Post #11,898 of 22,116
Quote:
Hello everyone! I'm currently experiencing a few problems with my HE-400s and I'm going to have to send them in for repair, and I decided to check out Head-Fi since I haven't been here since around March! (been so happy with my headphones that I haven't felt the need to keep up-to-date with everything else) So, has anything changed in the time I've been gone? New revisions, etc?

HiFiMan have recently released In-Ear phones and I think a portable player, that's all.

Aug 2, 2013 at 8:36 PM Post #11,899 of 22,116
I wonder why this weight thing is so subjective.
I have a rather thin neck and most time i had problems with my neck cracking often. Since i use the HE-400 I actually dont have neck pain anymore and the cracking is gone.
Almost as if my neck muscles have gotten stronger.
On the pressure thing, I had it on the top of my head but seems I got used to it, and after changing to the beyer pads, the comfort around the ears is great.

All in all, I do feel they are too heavy and huge (especially for their own safety).

I personally was shocked at how light the he400s were the first time I put them on my head. I can understand the complaints about the lcd2/3 but not the he400s.

Aug 2, 2013 at 9:59 PM Post #11,900 of 22,116
Do female vocals on the HE-400 sounds more forward than those of the HD-650? I'm guessing it's a huge NO.
I know it depends a lot on the recording etc. If it's accurate they can always sound distant when required..I'm ok with that.

Most annoying thing about any headphone for me other than too much bass is recessed/distant sounding vocals. Luckily I've not experienced this much.

Don't have a clue if i'd like the HE-400 or not but it's been on my radar a little.

I just need to find the Hifiman headphone that's best for female vocals (Iike found in Jpop etc) that doesn't require some new monster amp.

Aug 2, 2013 at 10:07 PM Post #11,901 of 22,116
Quote:
Do female vocals on the HE-400 sounds more forward than those of the HD-650? I'm guessing it's a huge NO.
I know it depends a lot on the recording etc. If it's accurate they can always sound distant when required..I'm ok with that.

Most annoying thing about any headphone for me other than too much bass is recessed/distant sounding vocals. Luckily I've not experienced this much.

Don't have a clue if i'd like the HE-400 or not but it's been on my radar a little.

I just need to find the Hifiman headphone that's best for female vocals (Iike found in Jpop etc) that doesn't require some new monster amp.

HE500 would be your best bet (it's Hifiman's most "relatively" efficient planar headphone after HE400). Though you might want to get something with more heft than E17. I know because I had HE500 + E17 for months before I upgrade to an AudioGD amp with about 10x more power.

Aug 3, 2013 at 2:26 PM Post #11,902 of 22,116
Quote:
HE500 would be your best bet (it's Hifiman's most "relatively" efficient planar headphone after HE400). Though you might want to get something with more heft than E17. I know because I had HE500 + E17 for months before I upgrade to an AudioGD amp with about 10x more power.

Yeah I don't plan to use the Hifiman headphones as a portable. I mainly use the E17 as a DAC or as a TV/bedroom amp. I actually have the Micro Amp and that has tons of power despite being so small. Probably not like the Lyr or even Asgard2. I just know that it drives the K400 extremely well and that's the most power hungry headphone i've ever had. I actually think the E17 is kind of not enough for even my Q701. It doesn't sound bad, but the Q701 doesn't seem like it's at it's best. The E17's soundstage is also rather small compared to my main setup. I think I like the E17 as a DAC more than an amp! Modi is still my favorite though.

I'll be surprised if there's a headphone the Micro can't drive well. I bet it's power output is even greater than the Matrix M-Stage, but don't remember the exact specs. I think they're on IF somewhere but I think he only reviewed the battery version (I think).

The HE-400 is one headphone where I just need to ignore the graphs, not that I trust any of them. HE-500 is way above my price range but I still would like to try it someday or maybe find one used. I try not to go past $400 for headphones.

Aug 3, 2013 at 5:23 PM Post #11,903 of 22,116
Quote:

Yeah I don't plan to use the Hifiman headphones as a portable. I mainly use the E17 as a DAC or as a TV/bedroom amp. I actually have the Micro Amp and that has tons of power despite being so small. Probably not like the Lyr or even Asgard2. I just know that it drives the K400 extremely well and that's the most power hungry headphone i've ever had. I actually think the E17 is kind of not enough for even my Q701. It doesn't sound bad, but the Q701 doesn't seem like it's at it's best. The E17's soundstage is also rather small compared to my main setup. I think I like the E17 as a DAC more than an amp! Modi is still my favorite though.

I'll be surprised if there's a headphone the Micro can't drive well. I bet it's power output is even greater than the Matrix M-Stage, but don't remember the exact specs. I think they're on IF somewhere but I think he only reviewed the battery version (I think).

The HE-400 is one headphone where I just need to ignore the graphs, not that I trust any of them. HE-500 is way above my price range but I still would like to try it someday or maybe find one used. I try not to go past $400 for headphones.

You could, ya know, sell a few pieces of gear first and buff up your budget limit 
tongue.gif

Aug 3, 2013 at 5:45 PM Post #11,904 of 22,116
Quote:
Not to stray to far off topic, but just thought I'd mention / ask the following:

1) Are there any current users who have the Aune tube amp with DAC paired with the HE-400?  If so, how does it treat the sibilance in certain tracks with vocals?  Thanks

Apologies for the late reply to this. I use HE-400s with J$ pads and a Mullard ECC88 in an Aune T1. No problem with sibilance whatsoever at my end. If there are particular tracks you would like me to test please let me know.

Aug 3, 2013 at 9:50 PM Post #11,905 of 22,116
Quote:

If you already have the HE-400's and enjoy them the best thing you can do is try to forget about other can's and just enjoy the music. Spending too much time chasing the rabbit down the hole can prevent one from truly enjoying what this is suppose to be about in the first place...MUSIC.

Best of luck!

Aug 4, 2013 at 8:55 AM Post #11,906 of 22,116

Seriously guys, what's going on? 
confused.gif
  I'm starting to feel like my Magni isn't enough to make my HE-400s shine, but that isn't what everyone is saying on this website... Maybe it's the settings I'm using on my Xonar DG or the card itself. So what are the best amps for the HE-400?

Aug 4, 2013 at 9:03 AM Post #11,907 of 22,116
Because the he400 amps so easily for an ortho, it won't take much to get to 90-95% of what it can do. The m/m combo is a clear upgrade over the iphone, no question so I'm not sure what is going on there. I found that the e17 was very good for the he400. Now this hp will scale some. It sounded really good from the A2 and just a touch better from the lyr which was clearly overkill. 

Don't ever underestimate source. Good source is always crucial. Crap in=crap out. 

Aug 4, 2013 at 9:07 AM Post #11,908 of 22,116
I don't know what the best is but the 400's really sound great with the Lyr as long as you're using good source material. Actually, the Lyr has made all of my headphones (Grado, AKG and HiFiMan) sound better than before. Email Jason at Schiit Audio and get his opinion, he's always been VERY helpful to me with regards to amps AND headphones. There have been some GREAT recordings (great music recorded very, very well) mentioned in this thread, try some of those recordings and see if you get better results. 
Good Luck!

Aug 4, 2013 at 10:14 AM Post #11,909 of 22,116
I don't know what the best is but the 400's really sound great with the Lyr as long as you're using good source material. Actually, the Lyr has made all of my headphones (Grado, AKG and HiFiMan) sound better than before. Email Jason at Schiit Audio and get his opinion, he's always been VERY helpful to me with regards to amps AND headphones. There have been some GREAT recordings (great music recorded very, very well) mentioned in this thread, try some of those recordings and see if you get better results. 
Good Luck!
+1, replace the stock tubes too.

Aug 4, 2013 at 12:45 PM Post #11,910 of 22,116
A Lyr costs more than the cans themselves, not sure if I can justify that. Actually, screw justification, I couldn't afford a Lyr even if I wanted one. What I can afford is maybe an E07k or E17. Since I already have amping covered for desktop operation with my magni, would either of them paired with the magni bring them to 97%?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back