**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Feb 8, 2013 at 3:09 PM Post #7,126 of 22,116
Quote:
Hey there, didn't have time to read through this whole thread but I I've got a quick question.  I know there have been multiple "versions" of the HE-400s, the newest which many regard as the best sounding one.  Has anyone had experience purchasing them from http://www.crutchfield.com/S-r2zUT7ZwSzN/p_818HE400/HiFiMAN-HE-400.html ?  I just wanted to know if they are indeed selling the newest version.  Thanks!

All official retailers should be selling the Rev.4 (Rev.2 technically) which is the version you want.  I would also recommend Justin at headamp.com - he's good peoples!

Edit:  FYI, the OP on page 1 was recently updated with a bunch of information and FAQ that have been covered over the whole thread.

Feb 8, 2013 at 3:25 PM Post #7,127 of 22,116
Quote:
All official retailers should be selling the Rev.4 (Rev.2 technically) which is the version you want.  I would also recommend Justin at headamp.com - he's good peoples!

Edit:  FYI, the OP on page 1 was recently updated with a bunch of information and FAQ that have been covered over the whole thread.

Thank you modulor!  Just put an order in with a $25 off coupon I found online. 

Feb 8, 2013 at 3:26 PM Post #7,128 of 22,116
Yeah as noted, all credible retailers should have the latest revision. That said, I've never purchased through Crutchfield before and from what I can tell, there are some bad ratings online and I recall some negative comments from one of the deal threads from a few users as well.

Go with Justin at Headamp if you can.

Feb 8, 2013 at 4:22 PM Post #7,129 of 22,116
Quote:
For those who might be interested, here is a pick of earring adapters for the he400. They work quite well and convert to mini xlr. 
size]

Hand fashioned by Steve Eddy himself!! 

I wonder how difficult it would be to incorporate Mini XLR into the cups themselves...I feel like I've seen that before somewhere.

Feb 8, 2013 at 7:19 PM Post #7,131 of 22,116
So I have a very large music library - over a terabyte in size. Needless to say, I can go months or even years without hearing a certain artist in my collection. I have found many artists via "similar artist" tags and things of that nature and I haven't heard more than a song from certain of them.

Right now I'm having so much fun in running through my whole library. I'm starting at the top with #s and listening to a single song from every artist in my library with the HE-400 and man I just keep getting more and more impressed with these headphones as I jump from band to band to genre to genre. 

Feb 8, 2013 at 7:39 PM Post #7,132 of 22,116
Just got my HE-400 from the mailman today, switched to velour pads and quickly plugged it in on my M-Stage.

All I can say is wow 
L3000.gif
 I didn't know what to expect since its my first nice headphone. I love the clarity of it. I went back to my old headset for a minute just to see the difference and after listening to the HE-400,
my old headphone (Astro A40) sounds so bad compare to the HE-400. I don't even wanna use that anymore lol

Feb 8, 2013 at 9:43 PM Post #7,133 of 22,116
Just got my HE-400 from the mailman today, switched to velour pads and quickly plugged it in on my M-Stage.

All I can say is wow 
L3000.gif

I didn't know what to expect since its my first nice headphone. I love the clarity of it. I went back to my old headset for a minute just to see the difference and after listening to the HE-400,
my old headphone (Astro A40) sounds so bad compare to the HE-400. I don't even wanna use that anymore lol

The HE-400 tends to do that. :veryevil:

Feb 8, 2013 at 10:50 PM Post #7,134 of 22,116
Switched to the velours today, and it really upped the enjoyment level of my HE-400.  Now I'm really interested in what the pleather mod will do to the sound, but I'm nervous that I'll mess something up >.>

Feb 9, 2013 at 12:14 AM Post #7,136 of 22,116
Quote:
Switched to the velours today, and it really upped the enjoyment level of my HE-400.  Now I'm really interested in what the pleather mod will do to the sound, but I'm nervous that I'll mess something up >.>

i've somehow managed to accumulate 4 sets of pleather pads if you ever need any

HeadAmp Stay updated on HeadAmp at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/HeadAmp https://twitter.com/HeadAmp https://www.instagram.com/headamp/ https://www.headamp.com/ sales@headamp.com
Feb 9, 2013 at 1:43 AM Post #7,137 of 22,116
Quote:
I wonder how difficult it would be to incorporate Mini XLR into the cups themselves...I feel like I've seen that before somewhere.

LFF does modifications to mini XLR with the cups painted and a new cable.

http://referencesounds.com/services.html#!/~/product/category=3569298&id=18603358

Feb 9, 2013 at 2:36 AM Post #7,138 of 22,116
Quote:
Those are $10 pads, no pressure dude. 

Haha yea you're right, I'm probably just being a baby.  I just have a horrible track record when it comes to arts and crafts :p

Quote:

i've somehow managed to accumulate 4 sets of pleather pads if you ever need any

Good to know, thanks.  And thanks for the painless experience with the headphone purchase.

Feb 9, 2013 at 2:50 AM Post #7,139 of 22,116
Quote:

We're hoping that HifiMAN will produce a HE-700 model.  Perhaps that would be something to strive for?

With the HE-700 model, we'd hope for them to strive for: planer driver manufacturing to be more automated,as they've done with the HE-400 to keep costs done.  To work on frequency spikes and tame some sibilants.  To keep the efficiency of the headphone in the range of the HE-400, if not improve upon it.  To offer it in another color - possibly a hammered bronze finish, as I've performed in the past on the X-LS monitor speakers that I posed pictures of a few weeks earlier.  

Any other wishes for the HE-700?  I'll gladly type up a summarized "wish" list and propose it to Dr. Fang.  Granted, it may not go far, but progression at the least is worthy of presenting the question.

Wayne, don't forget the ear pads. Jergpad mod is a good place to start I guess.

Feb 9, 2013 at 2:56 AM Post #7,140 of 22,116
Quote:

Well, in my case - based on my experience, the situation recommended for you would be as follows:

1) Purchase the Schiit Magni amplifier.  It is a solid piece.  It performs well.  It is very good for the cost.

2) Purchase the Muse Mini DAC, which is based on the Burr-Brown PCM 2704 chip.  It features the option of accepting a USB input.  It can also convert the USB to an optical or digital COAX signal if you have a future DAC or combo that may require a digital input to play music that is higher than 16-bit tracks.

Cost: At the moment, the costs would be approximately $130.00, for both pieces and before shipping.  This would mean that you would have a powerful amp to drive a potential future Audeze purchase, as well as some flexibility on the DAC end, and have a DAC that has a reasonable / good house sound that Burr-Brown is known for.

PayPal Payment: No need to send me a $1.00.  Please feel free to donate it to your local charity instead.

Thank you!

On the DAC part, I currently own the Bifrost. I use a standard USB AB cable to connect the laptop to the DAC. Is there/Can you recommend a better cable/accessory that will connect the USB out of the laptop to say the optical in on the DAC ?

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back