**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Jan 18, 2013 at 9:27 PM Post #5,596 of 22,116
Anybody have any insight as to the way the HE-400 is put together, in regards to potential disassembly to paint the cups, hardware, etc? Any complications inside the cups that aren't immediately obvious? Any cabling going through the headband?

I know the greatest care has to be taken but does anybody have an opinion on whether or not somebody who doesn't particular know anything about headphones, but is mechanically inclined and very precise with disassembly of car parts, game consoles and other electronics would be able to knock this out if approached cautiously?

I have a buddy who I used to paint electronics with for a good bit of money, I'm thinking about having him paint my HE-300 as a test run for the HE-400.

Jan 18, 2013 at 9:29 PM Post #5,597 of 22,116
That'd be awesome !

This thread is for mod addicts.

Jan 18, 2013 at 9:30 PM Post #5,598 of 22,116
Hi guys, I'm all set on ordering th HE-400 with velour pads.  One question though, the would I be better off ordering from headamp.com or head-direct.  Head-direct seems like the official hifiman retailer, but I stumbled onto headamp.com , where the he-400 is a bit cheaper and I guess it comes with velour pads too.  Can anyone confirm this?

Also, the he-400 currently sold on either of these places is the Rev 2 correct?

Jan 18, 2013 at 9:32 PM Post #5,599 of 22,116
Quote:
Hi guys, I'm all set on ordering th HE-400 with velour pads.  One question though, the would I be better off ordering from headamp.com or head-direct.  Head-direct seems like the official hifiman retailer, but I stumbled onto headamp.com , where the he-400 is a bit cheaper and I guess it comes with velour pads too.  Can anyone confirm this?

There is nothing wrong with Head-Direct, but justin from HeadAmp posts here, is a great, reliable guy who will provide excellent customer support. I bet if you search "Justin" on this thread you'll find scores of posts from people totally happy with his service.

In short, going with HeadAmp is the way to go for sure, especially for the velours and the like.

Jan 18, 2013 at 9:40 PM Post #5,603 of 22,116
Quote:
Thanks for the quick replies.  Very appreciated.  And the he-400's at headamp.com are legit and sold brand new correct?  Lol, sorry for so many questions. 

Yep, if you check a couple pages back I believe Justin said that he just got a new shipment with a January 2013 manufacture date so they're as brand new as you can get at this point!

Jan 18, 2013 at 9:46 PM Post #5,605 of 22,116
For anyone who purchased HE400 in January and is curious about when their unit was manufactured, just pop out one of the grills, there will be a sticker with a serial on each of the drivers, in the format of YMMDDXXXX (year-month-day-unit# from the same revision).

My HE400, for instance, are 2101105/06, so they are made last year Oct 11, and are the 5th and 6th drivers of the latest revision (the rev2.5 aka rev4 aka rev-clear-white-plastic).

Might be interesting to see how many latest revision HE400s have been made and distributed/sold.

Jan 18, 2013 at 11:14 PM Post #5,607 of 22,116
Definitely decided to push forward with the plans to paint the HE-400. Unfortunately, I'm nervous, so I'll be using the HE-300 as a test case, which sucks because I like the finish on the HE-300 more than I do the HE-400.

So how about some poll action: for posterity, which color should I go with on the HE-300 as a proof of concept? We're going to completely disassemble everything, paint the cups, possibly the grills, and the rest of the hardware however it makes sense. I'll continue talking about it in this thread even though I'm doing the HE-300 because this is definitely leading up to the HE-400.

Jan 18, 2013 at 11:54 PM Post #5,609 of 22,116
Quote:

the HE-400 I have is the "latest version", what people are calling them I don't know,.  The ones I have in stock are dated january 12, 2013.

HeadAmp Stay updated on HeadAmp at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/HeadAmp https://twitter.com/HeadAmp https://www.instagram.com/headamp/ https://www.headamp.com/ sales@headamp.com
Jan 18, 2013 at 11:55 PM Post #5,610 of 22,116
They need to call them HE-400s. The other should be called a faulty HE400, that's all. All this unofficial revision nonsense needs to die.

You don't see people doing that with headphones like the HD650. They aren't called HD650 Rev.2 because of the silver screen, or the K701 Rev. 2 which has 8 bumps on the headband instead of seven, with an obvious sonic difference. Its old, and its new. Yet, they are just called what they are.

Seems people are quick to wanna add a revision number just to planar magnetics for some stupid reason.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back