**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Jan 6, 2013 at 3:50 PM Post #4,351 of 22,116
Quote:

Start throwing some hard rock(s) at it! Lets see it it will last 
evil_smiley.gif

Srsly, I am happy you are liking your new HifiMAN :) Cause I love mine too :)

I'd say that's covered under metal.  I listen to some pretty heavy bands.. Converge, Veil of Maya, and Between the Buried and Me to name a few.  The HE-400's handles BTBAM's prog-metal passages so well.  Audio bliss
gs1000.gif

but even from the extremes of metal, I could settle down with some Joanna Newsom or Fiona Apple directly after.... truly amazing. 

Jan 6, 2013 at 4:19 PM Post #4,352 of 22,116
Quote:
I'd say that's covered under metal.  I listen to some pretty heavy bands.. Converge, Veil of Maya, and Between the Buried and Me to name a few.  The HE-400's handles BTBAM's prog-metal passages so well.  Audio bliss
gs1000.gif

but even from the extremes of metal, I could settle down with some Joanna Newsom or Fiona Apple directly after.... truly amazing. 

Then try some harder rocks and harder metal :D srsly it was meant as a pun :D

I would never do that to my beloved Hifiman! 
eek.gif

Enjoying them right now 
gs1000.gif

Jan 6, 2013 at 4:22 PM Post #4,353 of 22,116
Quote:
gs1000.gif

A metal fan :D

I would like to add the faceless, the contortionist and enslaved.

Jan 6, 2013 at 5:36 PM Post #4,355 of 22,116
Quote:
I almost had these shipped to my dorm room while I wasn't there XD if these would have been stolen that would have been a disaster! I'm playing the waiting game too! Waaay too excited!

If you end up buying through Amazon, you can have the product shipped and placed in a local locker for Amazon.  You can then go to the locker with the provided code, and retrieve your item.  I'm going to tell my daughter about this service, because even the regular mail system in college takes about 2 weeks to get something to her, when it should take about 3 days.

Edit: I'm also going to be using this Amazon locker thingy, too, so my wife can't see how much I purchase because she gets home before me each day and picks the packages off the step for me. 

Jan 6, 2013 at 6:53 PM Post #4,356 of 22,116
Quote:

If you end up buying through Amazon, you can have the product shipped and placed in a local locker for Amazon.  You can then go to the locker with the provided code, and retrieve your item.  I'm going to tell my daughter about this service, because even the regular mail system in college takes about 2 weeks to get something to her, when it should take about 3 days.

Edit: I'm also going to be using this Amazon locker thingy, too, so my wife can't see how much I purchase because she gets home before me each day and picks the packages off the step for me. 

Ahaaaa!!! This will complete my quest for covert operations against the little Mrs. MattTCG. First the secret paypal account. Now the sereptitious amazon locker. 
very_evil_smiley.gif
 FTW...

Jan 6, 2013 at 7:04 PM Post #4,357 of 22,116
Quote:

Ahaaaa!!! This will complete my quest for covert operations against the little Mrs. MattTCG. First the secret paypal account. Now the sereptitious amazon locker. 
very_evil_smiley.gif
 FTW...

I am so glad that I am not alone. My wife thinks the HE-500s were around 150 bucks and the Lcd-2s are on loan from my friend..........

Jan 6, 2013 at 7:40 PM Post #4,360 of 22,116
My fiancee' supports my addiction, and used the opportunity to poach some headphones from my collection. She chose the Fischer Audio OldSkool 33 1/3 RPM which I think was a great choice. She rolls her eyes at all of my amping, though!

Jan 6, 2013 at 7:53 PM Post #4,361 of 22,116
My wife is actually pretty good...very good actually. I had a pair of bamboo lcd2 several months ago on loan. I got home with them on a Saturday afternoon, put them on and melted into the music for the next five hours. My wife comes by inquires about the new "ginormous" hp's as she puts it. I explain they are on loan. She can see how much I'm loving them, so she says "so, why don't you just get a pair." In fairness I explain that they are very much out of my hp budget. She then say, "well, you'll just have to save for them." God I love that woman. 
redface.gif

Jan 6, 2013 at 8:04 PM Post #4,362 of 22,116
So I really wanted the M&M stack, but now I believe I've talked myself down to just getting the Modi. My current DACs are a $40 Muse DAC from eBay and the E17 with L7 and the LO Bypass. I think the Modi would be a step up from a source standpoint, no? And then down the line, for aesthetic purposes, I can pick up the Magni if I'm ever feeling like deviating from the tube sound (I probably won't, it compliments the HE-400 so well).

Plus I can use that other $100 from not getting the Magni to get the aforementioned fiancee' a birthday gift.

Any other DACs in the $100 range that might be better? Specifically for this headphone, maybe?

Jan 6, 2013 at 8:13 PM Post #4,363 of 22,116
Quote:
My wife is actually pretty good...very good actually. I had a pair of bamboo lcd2 several months ago on loan. I got home with them on a Saturday afternoon, put them on and melted into the music for the next five hours. My wife comes by inquires about the new "ginormous" hp's as she puts it. I explain they are on loan. She can see how much I'm loving them, so she says "so, why don't you just get a pair." In fairness I explain that they are very much out of my hp budget. She then say, "well, you'll just have to save for them." God I love that woman. 
redface.gif

Yeah my wife is awesome as well, I am a lucky guy. She supports my habit.(and is still smoking hot
eek.gif
)

Jan 6, 2013 at 9:32 PM Post #4,364 of 22,116
Quote:
Quote:

very_evil_smiley.gif
 FTW...

I am so glad that I am not alone. My wife thinks the HE-500s were around 150 bucks and the Lcd-2s are on loan from my friend..........

hmm, sounds familiar :wink:

Jan 6, 2013 at 9:49 PM Post #4,365 of 22,116
Quote:
gs1000.gif

I can't wait to put this to the test myself!  Your tastes seem to mimic my own, so this is definitely reassuring and further supports them as my #1 choice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back