**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Oct 19, 2013 at 8:53 PM Post #13,802 of 22,116
Out of interest / boredom I plotted (roughly) the custom EQ that I use onto the actual HE400 frequency graph....

The actual frequency response that it results in is pretty neutral (although quite dark above 1.5khz similar to the Sennheiser Momentum and LCD2, Even with the amount of EQ I used on it there is still a small peak around 10khz, Obviously there is quite an increase in the bass as well because I like it for EDM. Not sure what effect the pad mods have on this because this is for the stock pads.... Proabably a bit more upper mids and less of a lump around 800-1.5khz..... Quite interesting anyway

The Sennheiser Momentum FR....

Almost the same except for the bass boost....

Oct 19, 2013 at 9:22 PM Post #13,804 of 22,116
One thing I don't like about InnerFidelity FR measurements is for some reason (maybe a combination of compensation curve, axis scale, and other things) everything above 2kHz is way too "bunched up", as in they are plotted to be hard to infer from or compare/contrast with.

How to fix that: make vertical axis 5 dB ~ -35 dB, tweak compensation curve a bit so upper end especially upper treble isn't always rolled-off-looking (even when it is emphasized in practice), and zoom in on 10 Hz - 20kHz instead of wasting space up to 100 kHz.

Oct 19, 2013 at 9:29 PM Post #13,806 of 22,116
I didn't listen to the Momentum long enough.  I was swapping out a bunch of headphones at a store: near the whole damn Grado lineup, a T1, the HD700, and my HE-400.  The Momentum struck me as pretty boomy in comparison when I first put it on.  It wasn't an overwhelming or bad boomy I think, but something that would be rather nice and satisfying for those seeking very warm sounding headphones.

Oct 19, 2013 at 9:30 PM Post #13,807 of 22,116
The bass on the Momentum was pretty good.... Not as good as the HE400 but one of the better headphones I have heard around that price... Shame they are miniscule and have almost no soundstage though...

Oct 20, 2013 at 12:26 AM Post #13,808 of 22,116
I don't find the Momentum boomy at all (though next to the HE-400...bass is definitely not as good). It sounds warm, for sure, and the mids are rich and tonally accurate (IMHO), but it's a LOVELY, LOVELY headphone. If only the pads were larger to actually allow ears to fit inside. Most people won't get a good fit because the ears are resting on the pads. Probably why impressions tend to be all over the place for the Momentum. I made my ears fit inside, but it's definitely not ideal. I would've preffered they made the Momentum just purely on ear instead of passing them as over ear. I doubt many ears will fit in there as advertised.

Too bad the Momentum On ear sounds different from the standard one. I would've bought myself some by now if I could've had the same sound as the "over ear".

Oct 20, 2013 at 1:53 AM Post #13,809 of 22,116
Just came back from the Audio & AV show in Melbourne, had a listen to the TH600, TH900, HD800, Abyss, LCD-X, LCD-3. I liked the LCD-3 best. The LCD-X has more volume than the LCD-3, hard to A/B them because the volume changes initially. LCD-3 I liked better, it had a sweeter sound, the LCD-X seemed more sterile but both are excellent. The TH600 I didn't like that much, the TH900 was very good but I liked the HD800 and all the planars better. The Abyss was getting all the attention but it was nothing special to me. The HD800 surprised me, last time I heard it I didn't like it at all but this time it was great. Still don't feel the urge to upgrade from the HE400 though. Maybe one day if they break it will give me an excuse to get the LCD-3.

Oct 20, 2013 at 2:17 AM Post #13,810 of 22,116
Just came back from the Audio & AV show in Melbourne, had a listen to the TH600, TH900, HD800, Abyss, LCD-X, LCD-3. I liked the LCD-3 best. The LCD-X has more volume than the LCD-3, hard to A/B them because the volume changes initially. LCD-3 I liked better, it had a sweeter sound, the LCD-X seemed more sterile but both are excellent. The TH600 I didn't like that much, the TH900 was very good but I liked the HD800 and all the planars better. The Abyss was getting all the attention but it was nothing special to me. The HD800 surprised me, last time I heard it I didn't like it at all but this time it was great. Still don't feel the urge to upgrade from the HE400 though. Maybe one day if they break it will give me an excuse to get the LCD-3.

What kind of music did you listen to?

Oct 20, 2013 at 8:22 AM Post #13,813 of 22,116

Given the price the lcd3 should sound the best. I heard all those at the Atlanta meet, and IMO the lcd3 was only marginally better than the lcd2. There would be no way that I'd pay that much extra money for it TBH. There were aspects about the lcd2 signature that I actually liked better. 

Oct 20, 2013 at 8:40 AM Post #13,814 of 22,116
I don't find the Momentum boomy at all (though next to the HE-400...bass is definitely not as good). It sounds warm, for sure, and the mids are rich and tonally accurate (IMHO), but it's a LOVELY, LOVELY headphone. If only the pads were larger to actually allow ears to fit inside. Most people won't get a good fit because the ears are resting on the pads..

Yes I agree, if Sennheiser would just release a Momentum which was 30-50% physically bigger and had more soundstage that would be a excellent headphone, as they are they are now they are just too damn small.

Oct 20, 2013 at 8:53 AM Post #13,815 of 22,116
Me coming from the HE-400 and T1 and then listening to the Momentum and thinking it was boomy is probably the same as people coming off the HD800 and thinking the LCD2 to be boomy.  All relevancies. 

I think those HD800 guys are wrong though.  
evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back