**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Apr 9, 2013 at 9:08 PM Post #9,557 of 22,116
Quote:
Agreed - only remove the cables if you are transporting them somewhere.  If they are just staying on your desk, no need to remove them.

That's the problem, my place/desk is easily infested with dust particles so I can't just leave them there all the time. I always put them on the pouch included, and they are more sealed in the pouch if the cable is connected to the cups. :D

Quote:
I tend to just leave it in; repeated screwing on/off will undoubtedly put some wear-and-tear on the connections.

Besides it's convenient not having to do all this extra stuff whenever I want to listen to the headphones, kinda like leaving the shoe laces tied when you don't wear em.

Err.. Even if I don't over-tighten the screws? And I make sure the threads are spinning off smoothly as I remove/connect them. I'm too conscious about the thread though, it's the connectors I'm worried. Is it really that brittle like Mad Lust says? Does anybody here experienced loose connectors? :/

Apr 9, 2013 at 9:42 PM Post #9,558 of 22,116
I haven't noticed any brittleness.. I tighten mine quite a bit. Finger-tight (not forced / muscled though) with the connector as an anchor rather than the metal/screw part. I tighten it as much as you would with the thumb screws for computers (if you don't attempt to strain your arm / wrist / hand if that is).

Apr 9, 2013 at 11:56 PM Post #9,559 of 22,116
Yeah Q tips are made to only use on the outer ears around the crevices and if wanted to the outer rim of the inner ears.  The earwax is actually needed for protection from bacteria and foreign object from entering, if I remember correctly.

Yeah I have the He400 left and right words facing toward the back of my head, make sense since you would look at the letter then put on your head.

I keep my on and tightening just by using my pointing finger and flicker it until I can't no more then I press with the pointing finger and rotate down until I can't.  Work well up to now and seems pretty tight.

Apr 10, 2013 at 12:15 AM Post #9,560 of 22,116
Speaking of ear wax. You guys are aware that asians have different kind of ear wax right? More dry and flaky. No I'm not making this up. Look it up if you must. 
tongue_smile.gif

Apr 10, 2013 at 12:53 AM Post #9,561 of 22,116
Quote:
Speaking of ear wax. You guys are aware that asians have different kind of ear wax right? More dry and flaky. No I'm not making this up. Look it up if you must. 
tongue_smile.gif

Was wondering why I never got ear infections. I leave CIEMs in for like 3~5 hours then have to take them out briefly because the moisture tickles my ear, and then I just re-insert them. Never had to dry my ears for an extended time or anything. Took like a minute or two. I even made them bleed (I liked the feeling of using those METAL rods with a mini "spoon" at the end of it and ended up taking out a bit too much earwax. Don't remember what they're called). Helped a lot too because I had a lot of earwax when I was younger.

I also use Q-tips after every time I shower because the moisture tickles too much. Haven't ever had a problem. Hell if I don't do it for awhile I often take out a bunch of dried earwax (unless it was after a shower, then it was a bunch of wet earwax). That goes to say though I'm pretty sure I have pretty large ear canals and I have trouble hearing high frequencies / sometimes what seems to be a channel imbalance in-between my ears (it isn't centered) (whether that be from the source, headphones, or me, I don't know). Large as in I can almost stick my entire first pinky bone into my ear and clearly feel the first bend. I'm wanting to do a professional cleaning but scared of the pain because doing it on my own too deep was already bothersome (went about to the first bend).

Apr 10, 2013 at 3:21 AM Post #9,562 of 22,116
Apr 10, 2013 at 3:54 AM Post #9,563 of 22,116
Quote:
Sadly I left the velour pads with the nude DT990 at the office. If it helps, I got the pleather ones to compare at home:

Right now the Beyerdynamics pad is actually slightly thicker than the pleather Hifiman pad, but they are known to get a bit thinner over time.. so what you explained might be possible.
If needed I can compare them again with the velour ones next week.
I think they are the same, when searching for the replacement parts on the German Beyerdynamic website it also suggested me the black one as fitting.

For anyone looking to do this mod, here is a picture of the back of the finished pad:

As you can see the elastic parts fit fine over the plastic ring from the HE-400 if you are patient enough and maybe revert to the hairdryer method as suggested by Beyerdynamic.

If you look closely at the holes you can see that this is how I inserted the foam pads into the thing. I started with one side and then used a small plastic toothpick to adjust the foam pad and keep it centered in the cup. I kept adjusting the pad through the holes in the plastic-ring to avoid any bulges. This is the most painful thing about the mod but should be done within a few minutes as well.

Strange... i got those pads, but mine are significantly smaller in diameter (i might just mod them and go for it). I checked and the procut numer is the same.

Apr 10, 2013 at 5:16 AM Post #9,564 of 22,116
Quote:
Strange... i got those pads, but mine are significantly smaller in diameter (i might just mod them and go for it). I checked and the procut numer is the same.

Are these the

beyerdynamic EDT990V Replacement Ear Cushions for DT531/DT811/DT880M Headphones ones ?

Apr 10, 2013 at 9:08 AM Post #9,565 of 22,116
Apr 10, 2013 at 11:27 AM Post #9,566 of 22,116
Okay folks, I have noticed crackles/distortion in the left channel while listening to this track in the loudest volume (skip to 1:15 part, the crackles appear when the piano hits):  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jidULivkbBM 

I have tried reversing the stereo channels as well as putting the headphones other way round - the crackles still persist in the same channel. I have also tried many different versions of this track including the flac version.

Can you hear the crackles?

P.S just tried my ATH-M50, no crackles :frowning2:

Apr 10, 2013 at 12:05 PM Post #9,570 of 22,116

I took the protection grill off of the left channel and found out that this bit of metal (in the picture), when I slightly blow at it, flutters WAY MORE than the same bit on the right channel.. Could that be the problem? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back