**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Mar 17, 2013 at 10:06 PM Post #8,807 of 22,116
Quote:
It is from my curiosity.
How long have you been using the headphone and with what volume level are you listening?

I have these for 2 months more or less. I don't listen to them too loud.

Could it be that my source is pouring too much current into them? I wonder if this can damage the headphones in someway...

Mar 17, 2013 at 10:20 PM Post #8,808 of 22,116
I think the metallic ion migration is only for the gold connector, not for the rest of your device or the chain.
The migration is apparent in DC load, but even though in AC like sound signal the real power requires charges to move toward the load, and dissipated as heat or work that is sound wave.

Maybe there is some different idea to explain your case.
I think the phones have copper or aluminum or other for their conductor parts, and they are all safe for the migration.

Mar 17, 2013 at 10:39 PM Post #8,809 of 22,116
I just found some thin (4mm) foam at work and cut it out to use as a dust cover with the J $ pads and it seems to reduce the sibilance without affecting anything else too much. The bass slam seems a little weaker - I'm not sure if this is the pads or the foam.

Mar 17, 2013 at 10:45 PM Post #8,810 of 22,116
Quote:
I just found some thin (4mm) foam at work and cut it out to use as a dust cover with the J $ pads and it seems to reduce the sibilance without affecting anything else too much. The bass slam seems a little weaker - I'm not sure if this is the pads or the foam.

That's pretty thick, I just superglued some stocking over the plastic rings. Some have taken the dust cover from the pleather pads and glued it onto the rings, but I don't want to destroy my pleathers =(

Mar 17, 2013 at 10:54 PM Post #8,811 of 22,116
Pretty much yeah. If I had to rank the pads from worst to best, it would be pleathers last, followed by velour, followed by J$ beyers, and lastly jergpads. Last two may be subjective though. 

I really don't know what Hifiman was thinking with their pleather pads, I listened to them unmodded for about 3 minutes, I couldn't stand to listen more because something was so off.

Thanks beaver, I'll try out both and probably stick with velour until I figure out how to do Jerg mod as I'm not really handy. I read it before and it seems easy enough although I will not go all the way and might not do the angling of the pads as I don't like the way it looks. Probably just stick with the holes cutting.

Anyone have a recommendation for a shorter cable that is not expensive? I want to get good amp and dac first before really exploring other stuff.

Mar 17, 2013 at 11:01 PM Post #8,812 of 22,116
Quote:
That's pretty thick, I just superglued some stocking over the plastic rings. Some have taken the dust cover from the pleather pads and glued it onto the rings, but I don't want to destroy my pleathers =(

Yeah, I'me the same in that I don't want to cut up my pleathers even though I have a pair of velours on the way. I'd like to see a comparison of the J$ vs the Jergpad mod. I'd want the Jergpad mod to be significantly better than the J$ pads before I start cutting up my pleathers.

Mar 17, 2013 at 11:10 PM Post #8,813 of 22,116
If anyone is looking for a pair of first edition (black drivers), there's a pair for sale in the forum here.  I'm not affiliated with the seller.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/655987/limiteded-he-400-first-edition-black-drivers

However, some of us have owned these before and documented our experiences with them, which was personally quite a painful event for me.  I'm still suffering from PTSD from that debacle.

Mar 18, 2013 at 3:28 AM Post #8,814 of 22,116
Quote:
If anyone is looking for a pair of first edition (black drivers), there's a pair for sale in the forum here.  I'm not affiliated with the seller.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/655987/limiteded-he-400-first-edition-black-drivers

However, some of us have owned these before and documented our experiences with them, which was personally quite a painful event for me.  I'm still suffering from PTSD from that debacle.

He's asking too much for it. I particularly wouldn't buy even if it was the latest rev.

Mar 18, 2013 at 5:14 AM Post #8,816 of 22,116
Quote:

I might just do that, thank you.
I'm not sure how I'll get a pair of HE-500s for cheap, but considering the HE-400s were out of my original budget anyway, I don't really want to save another £2/300 to go for them, especially if I need to upgrade my amping too..  Sorry about the term boxy, maybe that isn't helpful.  I mean there is a colouration to the mids that sound artifical, as if something is missing, as if they are closed in and a bit nasal.  I'll keep listening this week and hopefully my brain will 'burn in' to them a bit more.  I just didn't expect theses cans to sound so artificial in the mids and uppers with acoustic instruments.

Well,

Personally, im right now considering moving from the HE-400 to the HE-500, but since my sister is getting married soon, i need to save up cash for the wedding present.

Thing is, i might keep the HE-400 as a portable rig with my E17 and get the HE-500 for home use.
For me, the HE-400 sounds "Good" as a user who had them for a while, and sounded "best thing ever" when i first got them (first mid-fi decent phone).

The main problem i have with those is the recessed mids. I can deal with it generally, but in some situations it kills the fun.
However i have to admit that jumping from the E17 to the Schiit Asgard (version 1), gave them a lot of life and space, especially when running foobar.

I guess im gonna hold on on the buys for now (even thou i feel like "i cant wait") and try to test the HE-500 and LCD-2 rev.2 before getting my next phone.

I also feel that they EQ relativly well, meaning the sound dosent get totally distored as soon as you tweak a little, so i have changed the EQ a little in some cases, and it helped quite a lot.

So generally speaking, if i feel that those phones could last 5-7 years for me (as i tend to keep my equipment running well for long), the 1900 PLN Spend (almost 600 dollars), is not really that much each year for a great sound. I jsut wish the dollar to PLN prices would stick to the currency, and not go up that crazy.

Mar 18, 2013 at 6:15 AM Post #8,817 of 22,116
Quote:
I did a quick check, going back and forth between the RS-1s (with flat pads), and the HE 400s (with velour pads.) Same material, same amp. I had to turn the volume up for the HE400s, as the RS-1s are more sensitive. Other than that, the same testing parameters. What I hear is, the HE-400s are more lush, more bass, way bigger sound stage. The stereo sound comes from behind my ears all the way to the front (mono). The RS-1s are more brittle sounding, and the stereo sound is right at your ears, and in the middle of your head for mono. The biggest difference I hear is, the HE-400s sound like speakers, not headphones. The sound comes from out around your head. The only "con" is, the weight. The HE-400s are heavy--440 grams or 14.5 ozs. They feel like they weight four or five times as much as the RS-1s. The weight is going to take some getting use to. The sound is not--they sound great!

Thanks very much for your comparison. Interesting the varying views-sound is a subjective thing, I suppose!

If you care to reflect after you have them for a while,  I'd be interested to read whether you enjoy both HP for different reasons and kinds of music or give up on your RS-1s all together.

I tend to listen to a lot of aggressive rock/punk/metal in addition to non rock music-from what I've read the 400 would be an obvious choice being more "fun" but also having other qualities that might translate into other genres I flirt with such as classical, folk and new age. I'm looking forward to a meet I've found in my area in May-to listen to both the 400, 500 and hopefully RS-1s.

Thanks again for your reflection.

Mar 18, 2013 at 6:27 AM Post #8,818 of 22,116
The longer I own both HE400 and HE500, the more I realize their dichotomy.

HE400 always wins hands down in terms of "wow factor" (it has very apparent treble clarity, midrange is coloured specifically for a speaker-like projected spacious sound, and bass is extremely tactile and physical).

HE500 always wins in terms of "sounding right" (...everything sounds right, nothing is ever out of place or exaggerated, its strength is its cohesiveness and evenness).

Both evaluated with jergpad and grill mods of course. Before those modifications both headphones have some sonic issues.

Mar 18, 2013 at 1:45 PM Post #8,819 of 22,116
Quote:
Yeah, I'me the same in that I don't want to cut up my pleathers even though I have a pair of velours on the way. I'd like to see a comparison of the J$ vs the Jergpad mod. I'd want the Jergpad mod to be significantly better than the J$ pads before I start cutting up my pleathers.

I just used some nylon from pantyhose.  I basically put the plastic mount ring inside the hose, fitted my j$ pads over the ring and cut out the the second layer from the back.  No glue necessary - they've stayed in place pretty well as the j$ pads fit tight enough to keep the nylon from sliding around.

Mar 18, 2013 at 2:08 PM Post #8,820 of 22,116
Quote:
First revision is dim enough in the treble that, when coupled with the recessed upper mids, makes for an almost muffled presentation. 

I was courteous to share the "issues" with this first release of the HE-400 with the seller.  Instead, he chose send an e-mail to HifiMAN to see what their answer was to this issue.  Meanwhile, the headphones are still listed as a "Limited Edition" model.  I think I saw the pair of Ebay a few weeks earlier, and they were listed the same way.  It's amazing how some people interpret a problem, but turn it around as if it's a good thing and a unique item to own.  Ahh ... the manipulation of marketing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back