**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Feb 2, 2013 at 3:31 PM Post #6,811 of 22,116
Looks like project86 sold his 337 in favor of the Svetlana 2
eek.gif

Feb 2, 2013 at 4:48 PM Post #6,812 of 22,116
Yeah seems like it..just read the review of him..but only to a amp twice the price at least.. So i must say the 337 is not to bad 
wink.gif

Feb 2, 2013 at 5:16 PM Post #6,813 of 22,116
Quote:
Yeah seems like it..just read the review of him..but only to a amp twice the price at least.. So i must say the 337 is not to bad 
wink.gif

Its not about the amp or cables or DACs.... Its about the HIFIMAN on you!!!!

Nah just kidding 
tongue.gif
 But I love them 
popcorn.gif

Feb 2, 2013 at 5:44 PM Post #6,814 of 22,116
Feb 2, 2013 at 5:56 PM Post #6,815 of 22,116
This is a really dumb question but just to clarify the J$ pads work on the 500's right? I'm thinking about selling my 400's and trying out the 500's. The treble spike is getting to me...

Feb 2, 2013 at 6:01 PM Post #6,816 of 22,116
Quote:
This is a really dumb question but just to clarify the J$ pads work on the 500's right? I'm thinking about selling my 400's and trying out the 500's. The treble spike is getting to me...

They work on the he500.. But maybe when u get ur new he500 and put the velour pads on it, u can do the jerg mod on the pleather ones.(with the he500 u get pleather and velours pads).i understand it will make the he500 sound even more balanced..me being completely not handy is trying to do that mod myself..am halfway now 
biggrin.gif

Feb 2, 2013 at 6:26 PM Post #6,817 of 22,116
Quote:

I'd really try a bit of EQ first.  We've discussed it a bit in the forum here.  Discussion of the sibilant issue on the HE-400 has bothered some.  If an adjustment can be made via a small EQ adjustment, then that's all the better.  You might drop $300 more and opt for the HE-500, yet not have a major appreciation for you.

Personally, I'd seek to listen to the HE-500, if you can before taking the leap.  Listening to a pair at a headphone meet will still not give you a good idea of the signature.  I think if you have a member who is local, and might offer the use of his / her HE-500 for an overnight period in your home, with your gear and your music, would give you a great idea on what the HE-500 would, or wouldn't do for your music preferences.

Whew.  Now, with that said, we often make the leap to a higher level product (e.g. HE-500) thinking that a higher level model always means an improvement.  However, what I suggest is to calculate the move carefully.  Don't get me wrong, the HE-500 is a fine headphone, but ended up personally choosing to keep the HE-400 over my HE-500 and my HE-5LE, just because the signature was a bit more "fun" for what I wanted and how I wanted to listen.  If I could have, I would have kept all three.  I didn't sell necessarily because of financial reasons, but more so to the fact that I couldn't use all three at a single time, so that meant two great headphones would be sitting on the sidelines.  But, sadly, I'm heading down that path again ... into the bowling gutter.  In reality, I need someone to act as "bumper pads" like they set up when the lil' kids go bowling, so they don't constantly get gutter balls.  Myself, I often end up in the proverbial gutter, my wallet empty and my ears not any happier.

Just my .02 ... But, I'm trying to save you $300.  
wink.gif

Feb 2, 2013 at 6:50 PM Post #6,818 of 22,116
Quote:

I'd really try a bit of EQ first.  We've discussed it a bit in the forum here.  Discussion of the sibilant issue on the HE-400 has bothered some.  If an adjustment can be made via a small EQ adjustment, then that's all the better.  You might drop $300 more and opt for the HE-500, yet not have a major appreciation for you.

Personally, I'd seek to listen to the HE-500, if you can before taking the leap.  Listening to a pair at a headphone meet will still not give you a good idea of the signature.  I think if you have a member who is local, and might offer the use of his / her HE-500 for an overnight period in your home, with your gear and your music, would give you a great idea on what the HE-500 would, or wouldn't do for your music preferences.

Whew.  Now, with that said, we often make the leap to a higher level product (e.g. HE-500) thinking that a higher level model always means an improvement.  However, what I suggest is to calculate the move carefully.  Don't get me wrong, the HE-500 is a fine headphone, but ended up personally choosing to keep the HE-400 over my HE-500 and my HE-5LE, just because the signature was a bit more "fun" for what I wanted and how I wanted to listen.  If I could have, I would have kept all three.  I didn't sell necessarily because of financial reasons, but more so to the fact that I couldn't use all three at a single time, so that meant two great headphones would be sitting on the sidelines.  But, sadly, I'm heading down that path again ... into the bowling gutter.  In reality, I need someone to act as "bumper pads" like they set up when the lil' kids go bowling, so they don't constantly get gutter balls.  Myself, I often end up in the proverbial gutter, my wallet empty and my ears not any happier.

Just my .02 ... But, I'm trying to save you $300.  
wink.gif

+1 i agree totally with this looong post..dont upgrade to more expensive headphones because its said they are better..but upgrade to the phone who fits u best with ur personal taste and ur rig..sometimes thats not buying a new phone..but maybe trying other darker sounding amps? Maybe an idea?
wink.gif

Feb 2, 2013 at 6:55 PM Post #6,819 of 22,116
Quote:

You can get on the HE-500 loaner program from Justin.  That way you can live with them for a few days and make a more solid decision.

Feb 2, 2013 at 7:05 PM Post #6,820 of 22,116
Good advice Wayne. I'm not going to rush into this decision but it was just a thought. Ill do more research on the topic and come to a reasonable conclusion.

As for the loaner program, who do I contact?

Feb 2, 2013 at 7:08 PM Post #6,822 of 22,116
Quote:

You can get on the HE-500 loaner program from Justin.  That way you can live with them for a few days and make a more solid decision.

I agree..excellent advice!
beerchug.gif

Feb 2, 2013 at 7:13 PM Post #6,823 of 22,116
Quote:
+1 i agree totally with this looong post..dont upgrade to more expensive headphones because its said they are better..but upgrade to the phone who fits u best with ur personal taste and ur rig..sometimes thats not buying a new phone..but maybe trying other darker sounding amps? Maybe an idea?
wink.gif

Yeah ... really, can you believe it?  I actually get paid to write at my day job, too.  
eek.gif

biggrin.gif

Feb 2, 2013 at 7:15 PM Post #6,824 of 22,116
Quote:

Yeah ... really, can you believe it?  I actually get paid to write at my day job, too.  
eek.gif

biggrin.gif

Ur kidding right?
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back