**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Jan 7, 2013 at 11:31 PM Post #4,441 of 22,116
All I know is, the pleaters "disappear" on my head more than pleather, and my ears stay cooler.

So, audible impact or not, I don't care. It was a comfort choice for me first. I may switch back someday for the hell of it, but I don't expect to hear anything too different.

Jan 8, 2013 at 12:01 AM Post #4,444 of 22,116
I've had the HE-400's barely a week and I affirm that they are life changing (or, maybe just simply my first foray into headphones that are worth a damn!) and now I'm curious on the sound of the HE-500's... 

My wallet's going to be sorry indeed if i I can't contain myself 
frown.gif

Jan 8, 2013 at 12:26 AM Post #4,446 of 22,116
Quote:
stop and get a DAC

I've got the Schiit Magni + Modi on the way.  Thinking about getting the Aune T1  and experimenting with that tube sound... people say it's good for the price. 

Whatever I end up not liking I will try to sell off.

Jan 8, 2013 at 12:35 AM Post #4,447 of 22,116
Quote:
I just ordered my HE400's and a Schitt M&M stack combo to serve as my desktop setup. I know it my not be much to most of you guys but it's all I can afford and I am STOKED to receive it. Why can't time go faster?!

Hang in there man, I just got mine Today (yesterday at this point) and have been waiting since the 26th. It's a little painful but the wait is worth it. I'm driving mine right out of my Fiio E11 right now and I couldn't be happier, they sound truly incredible. You'll be extremely pleased with the stack and headphone combo. I'm looking to get that stack as well, just have to wait for the paycheck to come in :)

Jan 8, 2013 at 12:36 AM Post #4,448 of 22,116
Quote:
I guess I am the contrarian here. I just got thru (again) A/Bing both of them for over an hour.
With the velours - for me it adds bass and makes it stronger (but no necessaily cleaner) but takes away from the soundstage and clarity. I think.

The pleathers have a bit less bass impact but the overall sound just sounds a bit brighter and with more clarity and sounstage, so again, I tried to like'm with all the endorsements for them, but just like the pleathers better. YMMV.

I'm actually waiting on some Denon leather angled pads from Mark Lawton to see what they will do.

While your experience might be different, the angle pads don't necessarily improve the HE-400, but detract a bit from the capabilities. The angle pads work well for the Denon headphones.  But, as "preproman" has concluded in another thread, the regular Denon pads, without the additional amount of padding to increase the wedge, can work better on the HIfiMAN HE series of headphones.  Lawton Audio sells "like new" Denon pads for $35.00 a pair, plus shipping.

Jan 8, 2013 at 12:45 AM Post #4,450 of 22,116
Quote:
I've got the Schiit Magni + Modi on the way.  Thinking about getting the Aune T1  and experimenting with that tube sound... people say it's good for the price. 

Whatever I end up not liking I will try to sell off.

nice.     getting a good dac (bifrost in my case) ended  up giving me the biggest improvement in sound from my old HE500 (coming from the dac of an audio gd nfb 12)

upgrading to a tube amp (sciit lyr in my case) ended up giving the slightest change to the sound.  slightly warmer.  but could only hear the difference with numerous A-B comparisons.  so really there was no noticable difference worth shelling out the extra $ for the tube.. just my experience with this specific equipment

Jan 8, 2013 at 1:28 AM Post #4,451 of 22,116
^Some good information mac, I was seriously considering the Lyr down the line after I get my Magni. Might still get it for future headphones though, kind of on the fence. 

Jan 8, 2013 at 1:53 AM Post #4,452 of 22,116
What hp's did you guys have right before HE-400?

Jan 8, 2013 at 2:39 AM Post #4,453 of 22,116
Magnum v4s.

After spending about 15 minutes with the HE-400s I had for audition, I realized it was time for the Magnums to go. Not even in the same ballpark.

I just purchased a pair of HE-400s a few hours ago, which I will gladly keep this time around. Cannot wait.

It'll be interesting to mess around with the velours, although I seem to be in the minority in that I quite liked the pleather. If nothing else, they'll be nice for the northern California summer.

Oh, and for the fellow who was wondering if the UHA-6 S MKII would drive the HE-400--I found that my UHA-4 drove them quite well (on low gain, even), so it shouldn't be a problem.

Jan 8, 2013 at 2:49 AM Post #4,454 of 22,116
What hp's did you guys have right before HE-400?

I have the Sennheiser HD558s. My 400s blow them away in every conceivable way but I think I'll keep them. I find them pretty nuetral and once and a while I like the graininess if you will of a dynamic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back