**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Aug 6, 2015 at 12:23 AM Post #20,491 of 22,116
Any consensus on 400S vs 400 low-end from long-time 400 owners ? Not visited this thread for ages.

Aug 6, 2015 at 12:27 AM Post #20,492 of 22,116
Any consensus on 400s vs 400's low-end from long-time 400 owners ? Not visited this thread for ages.

Does anyone here have HE400S yet?

I'm trying to get a pair to review and then send on tour across the US & Canada. HiFiMan seemed receptive. I'll let you all know if / when it goes down.

:beerchug:

Aug 7, 2015 at 4:17 AM Post #20,493 of 22,116
I have a Matrix headphone amp. As well as a hybrid Little Dot +. And neither do a good job at powering these phones. My Marantz 2228 and my 1984 Nad power envelope receivers are the only things that can make these headphones sing. The problem I have is that modern headphone amps have no weight to the sound. The bass is so tinny and non existant. I was considering buying the Asgard 2. But I don't need loudness. I need a good bass foundation. Any suggestions for an amp that will give me a good kick in the throat for bass?

Aug 7, 2015 at 5:10 AM Post #20,494 of 22,116
  I have a Matrix headphone amp. As well as a hybrid Little Dot +. And neither do a good job at powering these phones. My Marantz 2228 and my 1984 Nad power envelope receivers are the only things that can make these headphones sing. The problem I have is that modern headphone amps have no weight to the sound. The bass is so tinny and non existant. I was considering buying the Asgard 2. But I don't need loudness. I need a good bass foundation. Any suggestions for an amp that will give me a good kick in the throat for bass?

Gustard H10. You can also opamp roll more bass focused opamps in - Muse 02 etc.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/735828/gustard-h10-high-current-discrete-class-a-output-stage-headphone-amplifier/2955#post_11819044

Aug 7, 2015 at 5:25 AM Post #20,495 of 22,116

+1. Pairs nicely with it and tames the treble somewhat

Aug 7, 2015 at 8:18 AM Post #20,496 of 22,116

+1. Pairs nicely with it and tames the treble somewhat

i just purchased an h10 for this very reason, should be here first of next week, i'm really looking forward to it

Aug 7, 2015 at 9:07 AM Post #20,497 of 22,116

Not sure where the idea of Asgard2 is for loudness only. I love the Asgard2 in combination with the HE-400, (sub)bass is played just as it is imo.
If you need bass coloration so that you have more oomph then I guess there are other amps who can do that.

Aug 7, 2015 at 4:11 PM Post #20,498 of 22,116

Not sure where the idea of Asgard2 is for loudness only. I love the Asgard2 in combination with the HE-400, (sub)bass is played just as it is imo.
If you need bass coloration so that you have more oomph then I guess there are other amps who can do that.

Are there any modern Headphone amps that have that "Weight" to the sound that Vintage receivers have? I am trying to figure out which lane to go down exploring. Thre is something smooth and full bodied about the sound of a vintage receiver that I really like. But I also sometimes feel like I miss details that a modern headphone amp could bring. My Nad receiver has pre outs as well as tape in/out. Would it be possible to chain this receiver to the in/out of my matrix? Or would that be overkill?

Aug 7, 2015 at 8:10 PM Post #20,500 of 22,116
  Are there any modern Headphone amps that have that "Weight" to the sound that Vintage receivers have? I am trying to figure out which lane to go down exploring. Thre is something smooth and full bodied about the sound of a vintage receiver that I really like. But I also sometimes feel like I miss details that a modern headphone amp could bring. My Nad receiver has pre outs as well as tape in/out. Would it be possible to chain this receiver to the in/out of my matrix? Or would that be overkill?

See the recommends above for the Gustard H-10. Great amp for not too much money, and it has lots of gravitas and depth / body, but is fairly warm overall. Still great sound and great price/performance ratio. No need to put the NAD in the chain - not sure what it would bring to the mix.

Aug 8, 2015 at 12:01 AM Post #20,501 of 22,116
My H10 (2nd one, first one arrived DOA) should be here beginning of next week! Can't wait to try my 400 on it!

Aug 8, 2015 at 11:43 AM Post #20,502 of 22,116
Gyus, I am experiencing something strange, while wearing the HE400 and I will just grab the bottom par of the cvups while not blocking the drivers ( to not screw the sound) and i will (just little bit) took or pull the bottom part from my ears, the bass will just significantly boost up...I do not know if it is "there" because I have angle HM5 replacement pads (pleather, while I was comparing pleather and velour version I had not the feeling the "opened" velour would be more bassy, so I do not think the pleather is the reason..

any of you have same experience ?

Aug 8, 2015 at 2:23 PM Post #20,504 of 22,116
  I have original cables that are breaking right beneath the cups. I put electrical tape around the breakage to prolong the life. What is a good replacement cable to get?

I'd also like a shorter cable recommendation. Thx

Aug 8, 2015 at 2:31 PM Post #20,505 of 22,116
Is there any amps that would drive the HE-400 better than an O2 for a similar price?

So, yes and no. Sort off. 

I've been using the odac+o2 and I stumbled upon the Sony UDA-1. It's about $500+ new and there are some used ones on amazon for $350. Woot had it on sale the other day for $200. So I jumped on it. I'm not sure if it's new toy syndrome but this sony does every better than the odac+o2. Fast, transparent, tight bass, perfect decay, great separation, smooth from low to high. It brought new life to my HE-400. I just got it 2 hours ago, so maybe I need to do more critical listening and let it burn in. But first impression is fantastic, especially for the price. I would even pay $350 for it now. Worth every penny, especially since it has way more features. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back